What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Monsanto Poised To Take Over the Weed Industry

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
Fuck Monsanto and their plans, and all the more reason to grow your own.

WelderDan

Veteran
Make your own seeds. I haven't paid for seed in almost 10 years. They can't sell something if no one buys it. Problem solved.

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
Sitting around bitching about Monsanto wont do anything to stop them. You have to hit em where it hurts and refuse to buy any of their GMO products and educate others on the dangers of their Gmo food and herbicide.

JointOperation

its not about the seeds bro.. lol its about the fact that they will grow on so much land.. that all the outdoors in the states they grow in will become contaminated with GMO Genetics.. or Monsanto genetics lol.. and the problem is.. they will claim the rights to those genetics.. even if your growing them on your land.. like they did with corn and shit.. they claimed that because there genetics got into other farmers shit.. that it was there product..they ended up suing.. and stealing the smaller farmers land away.. and thats WHAT IM SCARED FOR..

http://www.naturalnews.com/040625_lawsuit_monsanto_genetic_pollution.html

WelderDan

Veteran
Until it becomes legal at the Federal level, and Monsanto can actually begin selling/producing GMO cannabis, this is speculation.

But if fear of losing ones land to Monsanto is an issue, perhaps growing outdoor Cannabis is not a wise decision. Farming is risky business as it is. Mother nature is a bitch, ask anyone that lost entire crops to bud rot just because of unseasonal rain.

I think most of us here will only be affected if we buy Monsanto seed. IF it ever becomes available.

All this talk sounds good, but I like I said on other threads, when Monsanto shows up with a huge check for your genetics, it's a rare soul that isn't gonna sell. When it comes time to genetically patent these strains, the growers are gonna hand em over without a word if the check is big enough, and it will be.

Betterhaff

Veteran
I think the path Monsanto would most likely take would be with hemp, it fits their model better. Not to say they wouldn’t be interested in medical marijuana (lot of money there too) but at present there are too many legal hoops to go thru.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Anyone that thinks Monsanto is making GMO weed needs to stop smoking so much, or maybe smoke a lot more until you come to your senses.
There is no GMO Cannabis, none has ever been found for sale, if you think Monsanto needs the problems connected with a GMO Cannabis drug creation and sales you might want to reconsider your opinion.
Maybe if enough people believe it, it will happen?
I am not say Monsanto is not a bunch of criminals, they are. But GMO Cannabis?????
-SamS

Last edited:

Sativa Indica

Anyone that thinks Monsanto is making GMO weed needs to stop smoking so much, or maybe smoke a lot more until you come to your senses.
There is no GMO Cannabis, none has ever been found for sale, if you think Monsanto needs the problems connected with a GMO Cannabis drug creation and sales you might want to reconsider your opinion.
Maybe if enough people believe it, it will happen?
I am not say Monsanto is not a bunch of criminals, they are. But GMO Cannabis?????
-SamS

Im not here to berate monsanto or anything, rather talk about GMO weed in general. When you say there is no GMO weed, do you just mean commercially? cuz I spoken with people who provided data for this site

http://genome.ccbr.utoronto.ca/cgi-bin/hgGateway

and they told me there were people working on it.

Also, there is a patent for Marked Cannabis For Indicating Medical Marijuana which states:

'Other than recurrent backcrossing or by genetic transformation of regenerable plant tissue or embryogenic cell cultures of the initial variety by methods well known to those skilled in the art, such as Agrobacterium-mediated transformation as described by Sakhanokho et al., (2004), Reynaerts et al., (2000), Umbeck et al., (1988) and others. Information regarding these and other transgenic events referred to herein may be found at the U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) website. An “Event” is defined as a (artificial) genetic locus that, as a result of genetic engineering, carries a foreign DNA comprising at least one copy of the gene(s) of interest. Other methods of genetic transformation are well known in the art such as microprojectile bombardment, and microinjection.'

obviously I do not take a patent as proof of existence, you can find a dozen perpetual motion machines there, however it does not seem that improbable that someone is creating transgenic weed.

can you just clarify if you meant no GMO commercially, or no GMO at all. cheers

D. B. Doober

Boston, MA
Veteran
im wondering if Monsanto has already done or begun gmo cannabis and I wonder what they can get the thc percent up to

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
No I mean that there has never been GMO Cannabis for sale. And that is what the first post was implying was going to happen. So until some one makes a GMO drug Cannabis variety and offers it for sale I will say there is no GMO Cannabis for sale.
I guess it should be easy to boycott the brand of GMO Weedies, but I doubt most Americans even care, they don't seem to support most GMO labeling laws, there is no Federal US one, which is a small step that allows informed decision making.
I know when there is GMO Cannabis for sale sometime in the far future, I would not buy it.
Will you if it is stronger, better tasting, smelling, better effects, and cheaper as it has no pests and diseases?
What do you think the average Joe American will buy at the 7-11? America is saturated with GMO crops and products already, 95% of the soy, 85% of the corn, even most of the Papayas.
-SamS

Im not here to berate monsanto or anything, rather talk about GMO weed in general. When you say there is no GMO weed, do you just mean commercially? cuz I spoken with people who provided data for this site

http://genome.ccbr.utoronto.ca/cgi-bin/hgGateway

and they told me there were people working on it.

Also, there is a patent for Marked Cannabis For Indicating Medical Marijuana which states:

'Other than recurrent backcrossing or by genetic transformation of regenerable plant tissue or embryogenic cell cultures of the initial variety by methods well known to those skilled in the art, such as Agrobacterium-mediated transformation as described by Sakhanokho et al., (2004), Reynaerts et al., (2000), Umbeck et al., (1988) and others. Information regarding these and other transgenic events referred to herein may be found at the U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) website. An “Event” is defined as a (artificial) genetic locus that, as a result of genetic engineering, carries a foreign DNA comprising at least one copy of the gene(s) of interest. Other methods of genetic transformation are well known in the art such as microprojectile bombardment, and microinjection.'

obviously I do not take a patent as proof of existence, you can find a dozen perpetual motion machines there, however it does not seem that improbable that someone is creating transgenic weed.

can you just clarify if you meant no GMO commercially, or no GMO at all. cheers

Rufid

"Anyone that thinks Monsanto is making GMO weed needs to stop smoking so much, or maybe smoke a lot more until you come to your senses."

My choice would be to start smoking more,but I dont think it will change the fact that Monsanto is making GMO weed and marketing it in Uraguay

http://www.naturalcuresnotmedicine....tically-modified-marijuana-brand-uruguay.html

"New rules in Uruguay have created a legal marijuana market – The giant corporation Monsanto plans to launch production of genetically modified marijuana, and companies such as Drug Policy Alliance y Open Society Foundation are going to create own brand, which will be produced under cannabis, information portal La Red 21. These companies are funded by Monsanto, they will be responsible for market development of transgenic seeds of marijuana, particularly in Uruguay"

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
"Anyone that thinks Monsanto is making GMO weed needs to stop smoking so much, or maybe smoke a lot more until you come to your senses."

My choice would be to start smoking more,but I dont think it will change the fact that Monsanto is making GMO weed and marketing it in Uraguay

http://www.naturalcuresnotmedicine....tically-modified-marijuana-brand-uruguay.html

"New rules in Uruguay have created a legal marijuana market – The giant corporation Monsanto plans to launch production of genetically modified marijuana, and companies such as Drug Policy Alliance y Open Society Foundation are going to create own brand, which will be produced under cannabis, information portal La Red 21. These companies are funded by Monsanto, they will be responsible for market development of transgenic seeds of marijuana, particularly in Uruguay"

If that story is your proof then, WTF?
No reporters names, no confirmable facts, Just a bunch of lies to get people like you all excited, it worked.
Check out the story and you will find there is no story, it is all just made up.
Hey Rufid I bet you are selling GMO Cannabis that you imported from Uraguay? In fact I read it at an internet site so I know it is true.
What a joke....
-SamS
-SamS

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
weed has been underground so long I have no worries..some of us will not accept gmo weed ever... I don't need stronger weed or any more fancy flavors....atleast not the gmo way...we will survive