What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MED Guidelines

dopecook

Is this true? I can't find it anywhere else.

What are peoples thoughts...

THE COLORADO MARIJUANA ENFORCEMENT DIVISION (MED) HAS ESTABLISHED THESE RULES FOR SOLVENT-BASED CONCENTRATE PRODUCTION, WHICH WILL BE ENFORCED STATEWIDE STARTING JULY 1ST, 2014:
A professional grade, closed-loop extraction system capable of recovering the solvent use
If a pressurized extraction system is utilized, then every vessel in the system must be rated to a minimum of nine hundred pounds per square inch
A sufficient fume hood and exhaust system is installed in the room in which a Critical Fluid Extraction Medical Marijuana Concentrate shall be produced and that the system is fully functioning prior to the production a Critical Fluid Extraction Medical Marijuana Concentrate
All flammable material used in the production of a Critical Fluid Extraction Medical Marijuana Concentrate are stored in a storage-tank designed to hold flammable material and is outside of the room in which the concentrates are to be produced
A sufficient fire-suppression system is installed in the room in which a Critical Fluid Extraction Medical Marijuana Concentrate shall be produced and that the system is fully functioning prior to the production a Critical Fluid Extraction Medical Marijuana Concentrate
All equipment used in the production of a Critical Fluid Extraction Medical Marijuana Concentrate is food-grade and all counters and surface areas are constructed in such a manner that it reduces the potential for the development of microbials and mold and can be easily cleaned
A hydro-carbon gas monitoring system, a CO2 Gas monitoring system or both, depending on the type of Medical Marijuana Concentrate to be produced, with emergency shutdown relays is installed in the room in which a Critical Fluid Extraction Medical Marijuana Concentrate shall be produced and that the system is fully functioning prior to the production a Critical Fluid Extraction Medical Marijuana Concentrate
The room in which a Critical Fluid Extraction Medical Marijuana Concentrate shall be produced is a spark-free environment, which shall include the use of NEC Class 1 Division 2 outlets, lights and junction boxes, the grounding of all outlets and the placement of grounding mats along the floor and on work surfaces. This requirement shall not apply to a Medical Marijuana-Infused Products Manufacturer that only uses CO2 to produce Critical Fluid Extraction Medical Marijuana Concentrate
Obtain a report from an industrial hygienist certified by the American Board of Industrial Hygiene and Professional Engineer that verifies that the facility and standard operating procedures comply with all applicable local and state laws and adequately protect the facility and persons within the facility and adjacent properties from harm.

BrainChild

Yes, its true...see page 15 http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellit...goBlobs&blobwhere=1251898523643&ssbinary=true

Personally I'm glad they are embracing closed unit extracted concentrates. They've set fairly stringent rules for solvent recovery, safety and a hygienic work place.

We are bringing a plant that has been prohibited for a long time into the light, and people need to see how serious we are about doing this right. I'm excited to see actual legal framework in place to make this happen after so long =)

There has been more and more bhotards blowing themselves up in Colorado. And while I still think small at home extractions can and will be done safely, it would have been a disaster if they allowed open blasting on a laboratory scale IMO. So such stringent rules are necessary to ensure these labs operate safely, the world is watching!

dopecook

I just think that it's a little overkill. Obviously it's going to have to be strict because of BHOtards and the media hype, but still...

Professional kitchens are more dangerous than extraction labs... I have the burns/scars to prove it.

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
When you employ people to do an industrial process involving solvents this is exactly the level of safety requirements and licensing you have to deal with , not overkill but compliance with existing standards and liability.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
As I just pointed out on another thread, no mention of provision in case of power outage. A backup generator that kicks in automatically or at least a battery backup supply on the exhaust fans seems obvious to me, along with the ability to open the space easily and quickly to the outside.

Graywolf on setting up an extraction space, https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=6351336&postcount=15

dopecook

When you employ people to do an industrial process involving solvents this is exactly the level of safety requirements and licensing you have to deal with , not overkill but compliance with existing standards and liability.

Kitchens use the same hydrocarbons but with the constant addition of heat and open flame. Employees are encouraged to move as fast as possible (witch knives :), and the conditions are intense.

(I don't wanna start any drama! just for the sake of conversation :tiphat: )

Do y'all think WA is going to adopt similar guidelines?