What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pure ZHO extraction solvent

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Pure ZHO extraction solvent,

"PURE ZHO is a mixture of compressed gas that is non-flammable and non-toxic. It will not leave any residue or heavy metal in end- products as butane will.

Butane is a highly flammable gaseous component extracted from natural gas, fuel oil or sometimes produced by refining petroleum. Using conventional butane is not only unsafe (explosion/combustion) but it can also cause many adverse health effects. For example, when inhaled it immediately enters blood supply and within seconds produces intoxication such as dizziness, drowsiness, narcosis and asphyxiation which can result in death.

We believe one shouldn’t be forced to use extraction method with such tools as harmful as butane. And we believe PURE ZHO is the solution. PURE ZHO is engineered with the state of art technology to provide consumers with tools made of safe ingredients to help produce the highest quality products. It is non-flammable and non-toxic, which means consumers can use our product safely indoor as well as outdoor or anywhere. Our revolutionary PURE ZHO poses no threats to our health or our environment."

"PURE ZHO (Z Air Herbal Oil) will extract purest form of honey oil than any other products conventionally used anywhere.

PURE ZHO will instantly freeze your plant waxes at a lower temperature while sustaining extraction process shorter. End result is that our consumers will be able to achieve much cleaner and the highest quality product imaginable. This has been tested and proven by our certified lab analysts. It is unprecedented."

"Pure ZHO is heavier and cleaner than Butane, thus it extracts more thoroughly and more purely. It will take approximately 2 cans of PURE ZHO to yield same amount of herbal oil as 7 cans of conventional Butane.

Pure ZHO will evaporate faster than Butane so it virtually eliminates the purging process. There is no need to use vacuum to eliminate the bubbles or residues that will linger, giving consumer’s a tarnished taste.

In conclusion, PURE ZHO will provide safer extracting environment than butane. It will also help produce highest quality end products for our consumers while saving costs. PURE ZHO is clearly the number one choice for herbal oil extraction."

http://www.purezho.com/

The only thing that's coming to mind is R-134a.

If it's R-134a it must be purged completely for the product to be safe to vaporize,

"1,1,1,2-tetrafluoroethane is also being considered as an organic solvent suitable for extraction of flavor and fragrance compounds, as a possible alternative to other organic solvents and supercritical carbon dioxide.[3][4] It can also be used as a solvent in organic chemistry, both in liquid and supercritical fluid."

R-134a boils off at a lower temperature than butane, but higher than propane,

Butane BP -1C/31F
R-134a BP -26C/-15F
Propane BP -42C/-44F

"Contact of 1,1,1,2-tetrafluoroethane with flames or hot surfaces in excess of 250 °C (482 °F) may cause vapor decomposition and the emission of toxic gases including hydrogen fluoride and carbonyl halides."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1,1,1,2-Tetrafluoroethane

"Upon contact with moisture, including tissue, hydrogen fluoride immediately converts to hydrofluoric acid, which is highly corrosive and toxic, and requires immediate medical attention upon exposure."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_fluoride

"Carbonyl fluoride is extremely poisonous with a threshold limit value of 2 ppm for short-term exposure."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbonyl_fluoride

http://www.essentialoil.com/pages/dr-wilde-florasols

Cheap, and readily available,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DuPont-Suva...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a817637c6&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DuPont-Suva...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a8117ec90&vxp=mtr

I can't think of anything else it could be, I just ordered a half dozen cans and and a cheap recharge hose. The cans are a generous 12oz...

First I'll squirt a can in a Mason jar to look for residuals after boil off, and go from there. It should at least be safe for topicals and edibles.

Nobody should be vaping oil made from R-134a until GC-MS testing is done to see if a complete purge is possible.

http://www2.dupont.com/Refrigerants/en_US/products/Suva/Suva134a.html

You can get "golden taffy" when R-134a is run through a closed loop system,

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/florasol-r134a-extractions.8882/

fungzyme

Yeah, except almost nothing I can think of (besides CO2) remotely matches their claims 'completely non-toxic, no purging required', etc. etc.

And their website is claim-filled and fact-free, which makes me want to wait for an independent analysis/review. Would be awesome stuff if everything they say is true...

nakadashi

HAHAHAHHA what is this pure zho quackery. A nice touch was that poster in the ZHO video that says "butane will kill you"

passby

I had same question and inquired about their product.

I guess one of company in Seattle was luck enough to get hold of their product to sample them and sent the ZHO to the Analyricial360. This is what I got hold of.

http://analytical360.com/?s=zho

I am waiting for them to open to public. It says it is for B2B now.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If it's not a hoax, I will pay for independent, third party, GC-MS testing for residual solvent. I do not believe it's a hoax. The cans look legit, the solvent boils off at the high speed expected for R-134a, and both PureZHO and and the testing results are from Washington...

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
http://analytical360.com/m/concentrates/113595 Is that the result? Would this stuff work in the mkIIIa?

Maybe they'll find this thread and take ownership... ;-)

I'm just about certain it would work in a Terpenator Mark 3 or the new 5, GW's said propane works ok, and the boiling point and vapor pressure of R-134a is between that of propane and butane. Maybe R-134a requires more/longer soaks? (or less/quicker soaks?)

In the sales pitch, it's described as "a mixture of compressed gas," so maybe I'm totally on the wrong track, but where does that leave me, back to hoax? There are some decent chemists on this board, there are only so many solvents, and nearly all are either a high fire danger or toxic or too exotic to fit the video or description, so...

itsblown

I wonder if you you get the same yeild using this versus butane.if there is a higher yeild with butane is that possibly due to the excess amounts of plant fats that it is extracting versus the lower amounts of plant fats being extracted by zho that the company claims? I feel like there is an extensive amount of testing needed to be done before I actually give it a shot

aresbykes

50ppm of hydrocarbons in there pretty much says It's not any safer than butane as far as im concerned. I'll take 50ppm of things i know about, over things i don't... I'll play the wait and see game on this one. Closed-loopftw.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
50ppm of hydrocarbons in there pretty much says It's not any safer than butane as far as im concerned. I'll take 50ppm of things i know about, over things i don't... I'll play the wait and see game on this one. Closed-loopftw.

If they followed their own assertions, the sample wouldn't have been vacuum purged, no high heat either...

I'd love to see hard data on whether R-134a is practical, definitely a wait and see.

Do they need to publish an MSDS promptly? A nice, tight picture of the back of the can would do, where's those paparazzi guys when you need them? ;-)

17-52-99

Isn't venting R134 into the atmosphere (or any other refrigerant, especially chlorinated or flouronated ones) rather illegal?

G.O. Joe

Veteran
R134a is not subject to the regulation that the refrigerant it replaces is, but it's probably not as good a solvent either. That THCA is going to be pretty cold with it, so an extraction (GC peak area, not weight yield) is the only way to compare extractions. You definitely don't want to smoke any, HF is not nice at all. R134a would have the sole advantage of not causing explosions, if it was useful. It would only replace air instead.

Holdin'

Moon-grass farmer
Veteran
R134a is not subject to the regulation that the refrigerant it replaces is,
Hmm... I'm not sure where you get that impression. The only part of this that is correct is the fact that you don't need a Section 608 EPA certification to purchase "substitute refrigerants" such as R134a. This is from the EPA's FAQ:

Can I vent HFC-134a refrigerant?
It is illegal under Section 608 of the Clean Air Act to knowingly vent substitute refrigerants during any service, maintenance, repair or disposal of an appliance.
Although the replacement refrigerants, such as R134a, don't contain (or have very little) ozone-depleting substances, we in the HVAC/R are to treat them as so, and any venting is a big no-no. Now there is "green talk" about the "global warming factor" of HFC's and the various substitute refrigerants. And some talk of alternatives for the alternatives...

So if this company is referring to R134a, the only way this would be legal, under federal law, is in a closed loop system.

Personally, being as how I have much experience handling refrigerants, I have always pondered common refrigerants replacing butane (although butane is of course, a refrigerant, as R600 is N-butane AKA "normal butane" and it's cousin, R600a isobutane) in this sense.

Now, to talk about R134a a bit more and it's safety... Here's a quote from it's wiki page:

Contact of 1,1,1,2-tetrafluoroethane with flames or hot surfaces in excess of 250 °C (482 °F) may cause vapor decomposition and the emission of toxic gases including hydrogen fluoride and carbonyl halides.[20] 1,1,1,2-Tetrafluoroethane itself has an LD50 of 1,500 g/m³ in rats, making it relatively non-toxic, apart from the dangers inherent to inhalant abuse. Its gaseous form is denser than air and will displace air in the lungs. This can result in asphyxiation if excessively inhaled.[21][22] This is what contributes to most deaths by inhalant abuse.
So, this means that if you were to use R134a in place of butane, and it was not fully purged by some means, that as soon as you take an open flame to it, or it came into contact with a surface above 482 degrees (i.e. titanium nail) you will be creating extremely toxic gases, namely carbonyl halides... quote from it's wiki page:
Carbonyl fluoride is extremely poisonous with a threshold limit value of 2 ppm for short-term exposure.
Now, I've breathed a fair bit of this crap while changing components with an oxy-acetylene torch in refrigeration circuits, and you KNOW when it happens... think Phosgene... World War I....

Now, going back to R134a being non-toxic and referring to my prior quote... Like I said, it may not be directly toxic, but due to being heavier than air, it will suffocate you in a hot second if you breathe too much of it, or were to vent it into a confined space.

In conclusion, I can't imagine for the life of me that R134a would be a safe substitute for butane. With that being said, we need more legit research - This company in the OP should disclose their chemical make up if they want to push their product. The only things that directly come to mind would be liquid nitrogen, and co2... Or like it states, some mixture of harmless gases. I am interested to see if they can fill us in on what it really is. But, I am far from a chemist/chemical engineer, and also it is still early and I day the day off today.

:tiphat:

Edit: To clarify, I mean as a safe substitute for your average Joe, blasting into a Pyrex dish. If the R134a can be fully purged from the product with 100% certainty, then it could indeed be an alternative for closed-looped systems - as we do know that R134a is used in extractions for fragrances, etc. But, smoking the extract is another story.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes it would work, but we haven't used it because one of the break down products when combusted, is Hydrofluoric Acid. Those that are familiar with HF, know what it will even eat glass.

Most vegetable oil is processed with hexane, but we assume it's been purged correctly and is safe. With butane explosions maiming, killing, and imprisoning people, wouldn't testing of a nonflammable replacement be the proper course of action?

Holdin'

Moon-grass farmer
Veteran
Most vegetable oil is processed with hexane, but we assume it's been purged correctly and is safe. With butane explosions maiming, killing, and imprisoning people, wouldn't testing of a nonflammable replacement be the proper course of action?

Which is why we need legitimate organic chemists and chemical engineers to open this shit up...!

Many industrial processes used to produce common, everyday products involve volatile and potentially hazardous practices - it's perfecting these practices since the industrial revolution that has given us (supposedly) safe products for consumption.

Unfortunately we need much further testing than current standards in the cannabis industry. But thankfully with today's progress with legalization and the like, we are finally headed in that direction.