What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

help with starting an apple tree for my 5 yr old

My 5 year old son started a apple tree from his apple seeds. We started the seed in sunshine mix # 4 in a 20 oz cup. Can I feed it my grow tea that I feed my cannabis plants? My grow tea recipe is
1/2 cup ewc
1/2 cup Alaskan humus
1 tsp high n guano
1 tsp high p guano
1 tsp liquid fish
1 tsp liquid seaweed
1 tblsp molasses

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Great idea to introduce children to gardening. Great Idea to grow from seed and great time in your sons life as I am sure he will retain it and take the knowledge with him.

Of course you can feed them the same thing you feed your cannabis. I actually grow fruit trees in sunshine#4 that has been grown with indoors. Just recycle the soil you use for indoor grows. They grow like mad in it. I use only hard organics, Earthworm castings, fish bone meal, blood meal, kelp etc. Ive have grow threads that demonstrate the sunshine#4 base mix.:tiphat:

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Hate to be an optimist but when the boys older you could teach him to graft. There's old seed trees in my valley that have ten+ different kinds of apples.:tiphat:

wisco61

Why Not Grow Apples From Seed?
Apples do not reproduce true to type, meaning that the tree from the seed will produce apples that are almost certain to be different than the parent. You can have fun and experiment, but don't expect to have the same fruit.

As Organic Gardening magazine advises, "Most apple varieties are self-unfruitful, which means their blossoms must be fertilized with the pollen of a separate variety in order to achieve good fruit set." The fruit produced will be the same as the parent tree, but the seeds will be a cross of the two varieties. There are a few varieties that can be self-pollinated, so it could be possible to get true to type from those kinds.

Also, almost all varieties are unable to pollinate themselves. They rely on insects like bees to transfer pollen. Unless you pollinate the tree yourself by hand, there is no way to know who the other parent variety is.

What Are Some Problems That Could Occur?

There's a very good chance the apples won't even be edible. Many apple trees are pollinated by crabapples, which are usually small and inedible. Also, while it might be edible, that doesn't mean it will taste great. The chances of getting a truly tasty apple are very small.

Seeds from your dwarf apple tree will often produce full-sized trees. Many of these dwarf trees sold are created by grafting the variety onto a dwarfing rootstock. The variety itself may have the full size genes, so that is what will come out when crossed.

Apple trees from seed take longer to produce fruit. It usually takes about 7-10 years before you can even tell if you are lucky and have good fruit.

Where Do New Varieties Come From?

Many new varieties are genetic mutations that have occurred on established trees. They are tested in trials for factors like taste, disease resistance and hardiness. If they are desirable, they are grafted onto rootstock.

Some organizations like the North American Fruit Explorers work on breeding and finding new varieties.

Finally, once in a while, lucky finds are accidentally discovered among trees grown from seeds.

How Do You Get New Trees, Then?
New trees of a variety are propagated through grafting. They make a special cut on a rootstock tree. Then a branch or bud from the desired variety is placed into the cut. The tree will grow up to produce fruit from the grafted variety.

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Sounds like a crapshoot, but fun and I like the the last bit that says

"Finally, once in a while, lucky finds are accidentally discovered among trees grown from seeds."

You have the remote chance it might be something special and a very remote chance of coming up with a new strain or a genetic mutation. At the very least you will have rootstock to graft any apple tree in the neighborhood. You simply take a small cutting off a branch from any existing apple tree. Its easy and there is directions on line. With whatever you decide to do have fun and stay green.

LyryC

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah, just remember that apples don't grow true from seed.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

All apples we eat are cloned trees - grafted onto a certain root stalk tailored the the conditions(environemtn) the tree will grow in.

Say you just started an apple orchard - you have to wait 5 years - training - pruning - shaping and growing the trees in the best shape for light penetration/fruiting and for harvesting - before you can harvest.

With that said don't stop growing it! The experience and knowledge for your son is irreplaceable!

To answer your question - you can feed it the same thing - but go light and possibly go cheaper - buy some cheap Fish Emulsion which will be just fine for the decade or so it needs to Veg before bloom :)

Much respect for the adventure!

dragongrower

Buying a little tree that is already graftet is not really that expensive. Also, you will get a type of apple you like and one that fit your area.. :)

H

highsteppa

I was going to add get a dwarf so he'll will see some fruit before he's 25. No reason to abandon the seed project though, what great thng to do with your son. For what its worth, Antonovka and Dolgo crabapple both make good fruit and can be grown from seed.

Latest posts

Latest posts