What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ideas For Side-By-Side Experiments

Sleepy

Veteran
Ok...i like the direction you are headed...

understand...this is not Domino's Pizza...

these will take a while...

from Anti:

I noticed that we can't find posts helpful in this thread. Is this by design or an oversight? Seems to me that "helpful" posts would be of benefit in a situation such as this one.

PS - I'd love to see a 400w CMH vs 400w HPS side by side.

I am planning to upgrade my current CFL cab before spring. I will be building a bigger, taller cabinet housing a 400w CMH buttressed by 4 vertical 55w PLLs. Once this is built it will take over for my headstash production and my CFL cab will just be languishing.

I like the idea of someone doing side-by-sides for the community so much that I'm thinking that I'll volunteer my cabinet for whatever we can dream up.

My cab has two small chambers (2.01 sq feet each, 17"x17"x23", each with 252w of CFL behind glass.

Since both chambers share the same intakes and exhaust and are as close to identical as we're likely to find outside of a lab, it seems like they'd be handy at doing controlled side-by-side grows.

For instance, the subject of defoliation. Defoliating one plant and leaving it in a room with a non-defoliated plant and comparing the results side by side would likely be weighted heavily to the non-defol plant. However, defoliating 5-10 plants in one chamber and NOT defoliating 5-10 identical clones in the other chamber would allow us to see more realistic results, because the plants will not be competing for light or space.

Here are some pics:

It'll be a couple of months before I can devote the time (or cabs) to this project, but if people want to propose the experiments that we ought to do (defoliation being one) and begin to define our criteria, maybe we could create a poll based on those suggestions and by the time it's built I could run the experiment that had the most votes.

I would prefer to setup the conditions of each experiment in advance so that people don't chime in after 3 months and say "well, you forgot x,y,z, so your results are invalid."

Sleepy - If you think this discussion is a side-track from the thread could you perhaps create a "discussion thread" within this sub-forum and move my posts there?

i will make this a sticky.

when you are ready to do a comparison grow, please start a new thread.

this one is just for suggestions/ideas to get the juices flowing.:thank you::blowbubbles:

S

shitabyss

A true side-by-side is a setup which has all variables being the same, minus the technique/product being tested.

CMH vs HPS is the best idea so far. I can't think of anything else that would benefit the community as much as this.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
CMH vs HPS (ideally dual spectrum `hps ) would be a good one, but like many things results would be strain dependent ime - so perhaps a small selection of genetics (clones) or multiple runs would be good?

defoliation i havent tried, but from reading the results may well also be strain dependent.

the only way i could do side by sides would be in the two halves of my 250 cab. i may get on to that when ive done a couple more runs - still got new genetics to grow atm ;)

VG

S

shitabyss

This thread/forum should be way more popular IMO!

Verdant, what variables come into play that would alter the fairness of a side by side when working with CMH's/HPS's?

Are certain strains capable of producing a different quality product when using these different types of bulbs?

I would think that if you were to test anything, side by side, equipment would be the most static/reliable in results, compared to other techniques such as defoliation (factors like grower skill and how to implement what leaves to pluck come into mind), medium choice, or nutrient regiment.

The only other thing I can come up with at the moment that does not fall into this category is the implementation of Beneficial Bacteria/Fungi/Trichoderma.

I've never been the science type, but the idea of controlled experiments to advance the study in techniques/methods with this plant seems too beneficial to ignore.

More help/ideas are needed!

g0vnaa

ICE Cream eater
Veteran
Clones from the same mom:
1 untouched
1 topped
1 FIM-ed
1 LST-ed
1 Supercroped :p

jm420

Veteran
lucas vs house and garden ,DWC 400 watt scrogg ,breeder paridise ,strain ice cream,I still have some details to work out though.

T

Tr33

FIM mean "Fuck I Missed"
FIM is an acronym for not topping the plant correctly.
FIM is not related to defoliation.

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
battle of the 1000k bulbs to find out hands sown which is really king hortilux vrs ushio vrs others if they can hang with those 2 i use the hortilux eyes and luvem but been hearin alot of chatter bout the ushio i just dont have 2 identicle setups to test em

RugerBaby

Autos are for pussies!
Veteran
chemical vs organic :)

Im looking to do a side by side and documenting it.

Medium: Coco
Nutes: General Hydroponics 6/9 ratio VS All Organic nute lineup.
3 gal smartpots
1000w hps
Blockbuster Reflector
4x4 tent
Strain: White OG

imadoofus

Veteran
*ahem*

I would like to see...

side by side light test study with mh vs hps, mh/mh vs hps/hps, or mh/hps dual spectrum.

i would like to see a side by side testing res temps and D/O levels in dwc and their effects.

i would like to see a additive test side by side. a lot, actually.

i would like to see a base nutrient test, side by side.

i would like to see a side by side regarding flowering hours. 10/14 vs 12/12 vs 14/10. then the results tested against other strains.

i would like to test different light heights and watts per sq ft.

i would like a side by side attempting aquaponics, and what thresh holds are even necessary to start a foray into such.

thats it for now, im pretty stoned.

G

growingcrazy

*ahem*

I would like to see...

side by side light test study with mh vs hps, mh/mh vs hps/hps, or mh/hps dual spectrum.

i would like to see a side by side testing res temps and D/O levels in dwc and their effects.

i would like to see a additive test side by side. a lot, actually.

i would like to see a base nutrient test, side by side.

i would like to see a side by side regarding flowering hours. 10/14 vs 12/12 vs 14/10. then the results tested against other strains.

i would like to test different light heights and watts per sq ft.

i would like a side by side attempting aquaponics, and what thresh holds are even necessary to start a foray into such.

thats it for now, im pretty stoned.

I would really like to see those as well. Only problem with doing certain things side by side is the human error factor. If I test chemical nutes vs organic, I have to dial both of those methods in before I can make a reasonable comparison.

Side by sides of things that are inert are easiest and quickest for results. Pot size, depth, lighting and things like that are simple to test.

I have two side by side flowering chambers but converted one to a drying room..might be time to go back to the orginal side by side flower if I can find another way to dry.lol

g0vnaa

ICE Cream eater
Veteran
Maybe the same clone and setup, but grown in diff pot sizes.
Lets say something like 5lt, 10lt, 15lt, 20lt ..
And see how that will effect the yield.

Also the different tipes of pots, but the same size.
Normal plastic one, Smart pot, Air pot etc.
There are some like that, but the more the better.

Same clone and setup.
The same clone, 1 grown without perlite, 1 with 10% perlite, 1 with 20% etc...

Same clone and setup (again :p )
One grown with 12/12 (dark/light) another 13/11,14/10,11/13 etc.
This will be hard to do and dunno whats the purpose of it butt...
Just and idea :p :cathug:

brandon.

I've seen a lot of people asking which seedbank to get Northern Lights from, since everyone seems to have the strain.

I'd love to see the end-all be-all Northern Lights comparison. All the seedbanks versions of NL, all grown with EXACTLY the same techniques, nute schedules, etc.