What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

McSamuelsMachine 1sqft 56W LED Stealth Grow

Neekz

Neekz have you had problems from bleaching from LEDs in the past?

Only under specific diodes at a distance of 6-8", the IR 740nm to be exact, it caused leaf burn like intense heat would do. I would say fixture specific, most of the time it is harmless bleaching that occurs. Your babies look fine.

mcsamuels

Day 21 from seed : Problems arise!

Day 21 from seed : Problems arise!

Alright so its been a few days since the last update...and news is not good! :cry:

I last watered on Thursday with a light humic acid mix (which is 70% humics, 8.8% potassium...I put 3 granules into a 500ml water bottle) and went away for the weekend (wasn't planning on being away for so long, lol) and this morning not looking so good.

Before I left the cotyldons of two of them were yellowing but I wasn't too worried about those. Now some of the cotyldons have fallen off but more importantly there is yellowing of the first set of blade leaves on all three of the oldest plants, to varying degrees. Nitrogen difficiency?! I also noticed last week that the middle plant was a considerably lighter shade of green. What do I do here guys?

The plants are also still veeery short. Almost too short for being almost 3 weeks in? :) They haven't really grown much in height since the first week and they are quite dense and bushy. Time to pot up perhaps?

Theres also a pic of the root growth.

Attachments

• IMG_0512.jpg
    IMG_0512.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0513.jpg
    IMG_0513.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0514.jpg
    IMG_0514.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0528.jpg
    IMG_0528.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0529.jpg
    IMG_0529.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 6

mcsamuels

Day 21 from Seed: Nitrogen def?

Day 21 from Seed: Nitrogen def?

Here are some close ups of the blade leaves looking sickly :(

On a positive and unrelated note, a couple of the plants started giving off a very slight smell. Slightly citrusy and sweet.

Only when I really get in there and sniff though :)

Attachments

• IMG_0525.jpg
    IMG_0525.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0522.jpg
    IMG_0522.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0515.jpg
    IMG_0515.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 9

Neekz

Their doing fine, what is happening is what appears to be slow growth, but is actually just very tight-spaced growth. Coty's and single-blade/first-set's usually die off by now, especially if root-bound. Different pheno's will "eat" more or less than others, feed accordingly. Nothing over seedling strength doses until they start lightening more. If you want "faster" growth, put em farther from the light. They will start to stretch out a bit more, pro and con.

mcsamuels

Thanks Neekz, thats reassuring.:tiphat:

In your opinion the middle (lighter green colored) one is looking alright?

For the growth/height...yea they are definitely growing and getting a bit bushy , there has been pretty much no stretch since that first week like I said. So I'm not too sure of what to do...I was planning on only vegging a month total originally, but they are so small right now and this being my first time AND with an unknown strain I have zero idea what the stretch will be like during flowering. Supposedly the 12/1 really cuts down the stretch for flowering sativas.

I think I'll drop em further away from the light tonight and see how they respond.

mcsamuels

Also since they aren't sexed and I don't know how many I'll flower out its a bit tough to know what kind of grow I'll be doing...whether SOG, lst, or scrog.

Neekz

Don't worry about over-veg, you can always bend-em. They shouldn't get too huge any-who due to the container size. They'll be fine!

Cabinet Ninja

Veteran
Looking good my brother. To help fix the lower leaves, just feed them at a slightly higher strength if you aren't already at full strength and add a little Epsom Salts if you can.

Also worth checking out your OP. The first image tag has exploded into a torrent of random jargon ;)

mcsamuels

Thanks for the help guys! :)

Looking good my brother. To help fix the lower leaves, just feed them at a slightly higher strength if you aren't already at full strength and add a little Epsom Salts if you can.

Ok, maybe I'll try a seasol or humic spray for those lower leaves then, and I'll check out the Epsom. I haven't really fed them at all yet...just some light seasol and humic mixes (though the humic does have K in it). Gonna try to feed as little as possible until flower, unless they start to really need it.

Also worth checking out your OP. The first image tag has exploded into a torrent of random jargon ;)

Yea why is that?! I noticed last week but couldn't edit. I guess I'll just delete that part, not even sure what image it was and I don't have it on my computer anymore anyway!

mcsamuels

Day 26 from seed

Day 26 from seed

Ok, time for a little picture update boys and girls. :)

Nothing too dramatic over the last few days, though the yellowing has continued, especially for the lightest of the babies.

Two days ago I went out and and got a 3/4/9 liquid fert and fed some to the little green guy ( or girl!), who's growth, at least height wise, seems to be stunted as well. Though it has perked up quite a bit, theres been no change in the yellowing. What does this look like, N def? Its them middle one from the group shots in case its not obvious ;)

Though the pictures don't capture it very well, the first set of three blade leaves aren't doing so well ( I think on the light colored one they're pretty much goners) and are starting to lighten as well.

I am planning on repotting in a couple of hours into water bottles, probably a little less than 1L of space, as I'm hoping to get a bit more vertical growth out of them before switching to flower and they're looking pretty rootbound right now. That will most likely be the final containers. Wish I knew the sex, would really help the strategy!

Though one has shown pistils, more on that later :)

Attachments

• IMG_0958.jpg
    IMG_0958.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0957.jpg
    IMG_0957.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0956.jpg
    IMG_0956.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0955.jpg
    IMG_0955.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0952.jpg
    IMG_0952.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 8

mcsamuels

Day 26 from seed

Day 26 from seed

A couple more of the individual plants and the group shots, where you can really see the yellowing and differences of colors between the plants.

Also I should add that I got some Epsom salt and am planning on adding a smidge to the soil when I repot later.

In my totally inexperienced opinion though these don't appear to be mag deficient judging from my research

Attachments

• IMG_0963.jpg
    IMG_0963.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0972.jpg
    IMG_0972.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0962.jpg
    IMG_0962.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0961.jpg
    IMG_0961.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0959.jpg
    IMG_0959.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 8

mcsamuels

Dy 26 from seed

Dy 26 from seed

Cu of leaves

Attachments

• IMG_0972crop.jpg
    IMG_0972crop.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0975.jpg
    IMG_0975.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 11

mcsamuels

Ok so here are a couple pics of the strongest plant so far....this ones shown several pistils, theres one in the first pic of the top.

But what is that pod in the 2nd pic...is that male or female?

Attachments

• IMG_0950.jpg
    IMG_0950.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0939.jpg
    IMG_0939.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 8

Neekz

But what is that pod in the 2nd pic...is that male or female?

You got a dude, dude (IMO,lol)... Keep em around for a bit and see if the "nanner" swells/opens. Almost lost a few keepers pulling the gun early, so I say hold off a bit...

mcsamuels

hmmmm, balls! :(

Isn't it a bit odd though that theres only one? Like I said before there are plenty of pistils shooting out on this one, though I haven't been able to really get in there for a good pic as its so dense!

Any idea on what do to about the lightening leaves, or do you think the new soil will help solve that?

mcsamuels

I should add that I did pot up last night into water bottles...definitely less than 1L per container...maybe around .7 or .8 L if I had to guess.

Hit them with a mix of humic acid, seasol, and light 3/4/9 nutes as well.

mcsamuels

Day 29 from seed

Day 29 from seed

Just a little update....now a full four weeks in! That went fast.

All the babies have responded well to the transplant and have grown a decent amount height wise, though they are still pretty small and bushy.

Thinking of letting them go a few more days, maybe a week, to let 'em develop their roots a bit more and then switch em to flower. 11/13 or 11:30/12:30 to start with

Kindest

A couple more of the individual plants and the group shots, where you can really see the yellowing and differences of colors between the plants.

Also I should add that I got some Epsom salt and am planning on adding a smidge to the soil when I repot later.

In my totally inexperienced opinion though these don't appear to be mag deficient judging from my research

Your plants are hungry, that's all. Increase your ferts 25% or so.

Fun grow, keep it up!

mcsamuels

Thanks for stoppin by Kindest! Yea I hadn't fed them any real nutes at all before the transplant, apart from the light green one, which I'm beginning to think is just its pheno. So far so good with the new soil, but I wanted to avoid feeding them as long as possible and not give any N if I could.

Maybe I'll send them to flower in a couple days...I have no idea how much they'll stretch! Plus the roots have already started crusing through the new soil. Just want to get my carbon filter set up first.

Will try and post some pics in the coming days but having some technology issues :(

mcsamuels

Day 32 from seed

Day 32 from seed

Ok another little pictureless update :(

Hopefully will get the camera sorted out soon.

They've grown quite a bit the last couple of days, and even today in betwen when I checked in during the light break and this evening they have grown a couple centimenters!

I am rapidly running out of headroom!

So I've decided to send them to flower and then do my best to LST them or even SCROG depending on numbers.

Right now out of the five I have two unknowns and possibly three girls (though one may be a hermie). Who knows, maybe they are all hermies lol. Will try and get some pics soon so I can have some real verification from the experts!

Latest posts

Latest posts