What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Make your own Starter cups/pots from newspaper

NOKUY

Veteran
Why spend money buying plant starter packs when you can make all you need from old newspapers? The added benefit of these newspaper pots is that they can be set right into the ground where the paper will eventually decompose and, in the process, the seedling’s delicate root system won’t be disturbed by transplanting. Paper pots can be placed side-by-side in a cardboard box tray with the sides cut down to about three inches. Amazingly, the newspaper boxes will hold water and remain intact when wet.

Materials Needed:

Double sheets of 17” x 48” (when spread out) newsprint. Use smaller sized publications; most daily newspapers are too big in size to make a nice compact pot). Choose pages without color since the ink may be harmful to both the plant and the soil.

Stapler

Method: (See Figures 1 - 10 at end of article)

Step 1: Begin with a double sheet of newspaper. Fold in half, making a sharp crease line. (Figure 1)

Step 2: Aligning bottom and top edges, fold in half again. (Figure 2)

Step 3: Bring left side edge to top edge in a diagonal fold. There will be a selvage edge left at right. (Figure 3)

Step 4: Fold selvage edge to back. (Figure 4)

Step 5: Bring right side edge to top edge in a diagonal crease. (Figure 5)

Step 6: Flip over with selvage edge to front. Fold sides forward lengthwise in equal thirds. (Figure 6)

Step 7: Open out and fold bottom and top forward in equal thirds. (Figure 7)

Step 8: Open out (Figure 8) and pleat bottom left corner (1) inward along diagonal crease line and fold behind front center panel A. Repeat with bottom right corner (2). Staple through all thicknesses at center of A. (Figure 9)

Step 9: Repeat step 8 with top corners and staple to complete pot. (Figure 10)

Step 10: Fill with soil and plant.

polachic49.jpg

Moppel

Grower for Life
Veteran
startercups cost about 10 ct a piece. And if thats too expensive ,you could use plastic cofeecups. why bother?

p/s And would the ink do them any good?

stevr59

now that is sweet and the ink is just soy ink its safe not sure about the colored ink but the black ink is soy based. and why spend money if one don't have to reclyle i shred my paper and add it to my compost pile and all so burn it and add the ashes to the pile so why the hell not make planter out of it. good work NOKUY

davehigh

O.K. one of your first statments has me confused{Double sheets of 17” x 48” } . when your done do you end up with two thicknesses of paper on the bottom or four?

NOKUY

Veteran
davehigh said:
O.K. one of your first statments has me confused{Double sheets of 17” x 48” } . when your done do you end up with two thicknesses of paper on the bottom or four?

youll just have 2 layers at the bottom when finished....you start w/ a single piece of paper not 2 sheets

I hope that answers that

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
Nice, Yukon. Thanks bro. The answer to "why" of course is that (a) recycling is good, (b) for those who use jiffy pots, etc., peat isn't a renewable resource and (c) recycling is good.

Another illustration/tutorial of how to make them: http://www.wizer.co.uk/?p=29

Here's a similar thread/idea: http://www.canadiangardening.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1724&sid=826d6b67c3322a2cecb72117fb52bfbf

And another at http://www.ehow.com/how_1745_create-seed-starting.html.

how_1745_create-seed-starting.html

Another good way of doing it:

To make a biodegradable container, wrap a strip of newspaper around a juice glass so it overhangs the mouth of the glass by about one inch. Fold over the overhang and push it in with the bottom of another glass. For more security, remove the first glass and invert it back into the newspaper cylinder. Press the bottom of the newspaper cylinder between the bottoms of the two glasses. Remove both

glasses. The pot is now ready to be filled with seed starting mix.

Last edited:
G

cool Nokuy..now i can put my origami skillz to good use..I like this tech though- maybe i will use these for my outdoor starter cups so i can just plop them in the hole. =) Great tip!

G

Many companies still use metalbased inks, I realized, after calling them. Be careful. I dont like cardboard/paper because it grows mold way too easily.

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
If you're too concerned about the ink, you can pick up blank newsprint really cheaply at a lot of different arts stores, and office supply.

omfg, this took is pretty tough when u dont fold ur paper correctly after the second step. hah nokuy thanks man, ur directions were bad tho, the beginning is good, but i liked the WIZER ones, very easy to read, thanks alot tho bud...i can turn these things outreally fast now.

Lofty

not sure bout us paper but uk news pappers r made from recycled paper and all recycled pulp for paper and cardboard is broken down with sulphuric acid, wen it gets wet its very acidic.

if u wet som news paper and put it on a piece of steel it'll rust much mor if its sulpuric based.

good idea NOKUY but i wont use it coz of uk sulphuric based stuff.

G

i really thought this was a good idea, and very resourceful. But i tried it and couldn't figure it out?

What happened to re-using polypropylene (plastic) plant pots? they arn't a use once and throw away item!, I re-cycle 1gal (5litres) water bottles, chop the tops off, make some drainage holes in the bottom then line them on the outside with black bin liners and tape it up viola, 1 recycled waterproof plant pot.

I'm with lofty on this one as i'm also in the UK.. a huge percentage of our paper is re-cycled, I don't want to take the chance personally, also imo growing in newspaper and cups etc is just wrong.. oops I over watered the paper bag burst and now I have a gallon of mud on my carpet, hmm the wife would love me for that!

Latest posts

Latest posts