What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Advice Please: Bulk oil extraction (120Lts of trim)

AnonMe

Hello all,

I am just after a little advice. I've done BHO before and love the product. Also used acetone many many moons ago but at the time I knew nothing and let it soak for quite a while. Ended up with a thick dark green/black oil that was not very good at all.

Now I have two 60Lt rubbish bin's full of decent quality trim and small buds with a bit of shade leaf in there too.

I've spent a few hours last night going through can's and can's of butane but there has to be a better way!! I also don't want to look like a deviate buying out my local stores and having 100's of empty cans to dispose of.

I've done 3 runs of BHO and have not even dented my stock's of weed. Each run I was using a can and a half of butane.

Is there a quick easy method I should be looking at doing to create some half decent oil? Has anyone ever had a similar experience with processing larger quantities? How did you do it and what tricks did you find helped?

ISO is kind of hard to find and expensive in my area, and again I think I would look like a deviate buying up bottles and bottles of the stuff.

I am thinking acetone may be the way to go. I could buy a couple of bottles from different hardware stores and try to perform a quick wash before filtering BACK into the acetone containers. From here I could boil it off in a rice cooker(outdoors, well ventilated) and as it reduces add from my stored bottles of acetone/oil mix until its all gone. Finally I could tip it out into a flat glass pyrex container before it reduces too much and lightly cover, letting it sit for a few weeks to slow purge before heat purging and scraping it all up for storage.

I know a lot of people have concerns with acetone but I will be sure to purge it extensively and will get a test bottle first to evap in a glass pan to test for residue. If it passes I will stick to that brand.

Any advice/hints are very much appreciated!!

panick503

My advice is to not use acetone, beause that just sounds disgusting. Is there no one u can find to run it for u? I have decided for me extraction services are the way to go. The way competition is these days, u gotta come with the best product, and that takes experience to make...

Snype

Veteran
I'd estimate that you have 25 pounds of material. I fit 2 pounds in 5 Gallon buckets. Get yourself a closed loop system. There are members on the site running 5 pounds at a time in their closed loops, maybe even more. That would only be 5 runs for you to do. I like the smaller systems though. You could build a CLS that could hold a pound for roughly $1200. You'd still have to buy pumps unless you went passive. Me and my girl ran over 25 pounds of material 2 oz at time and it took us a month.

AnonMe

Thanks for your advice everyone.

I probably didn't give enough information.

I'm not in a very friendly area and sourcing out to others is a definite no go zone. Unfortunately for me there are no services available in this area and it also makes close loop systems next to impossible to obtain. I could build one I suppose but that would require time, materials, and skills that I am short on at the moment.

If I can find a good source of bulk iso in my area I will go that route and I am looking but I keep drawing expensive dead ends.

I would also prefer to get this done and dusted in the next few days as I have to leave for two weeks and I want to get the plant matter thats left over into my compost. It really does make a good compost :D The worm farm loves it too!

Thanks for your comments, but I am still working things out and still appreciate any other input people have.

Illuminate

Keyboard Warrior
Veteran
Those cannabinoids must work wonders for the worms. Oh wait... they have no endocannabinoid system. Hope you get it sorted.

snake11

Hello all,

I am just after a little advice. I've done BHO before and love the product. Also used acetone many many moons ago but at the time I knew nothing and let it soak for quite a while. Ended up with a thick dark green/black oil that was not very good at all.

Now I have two 60Lt rubbish bin's full of decent quality trim and small buds with a bit of shade leaf in there too.

I've spent a few hours last night going through can's and can's of butane but there has to be a better way!! I also don't want to look like a deviate buying out my local stores and having 100's of empty cans to dispose of.

I've done 3 runs of BHO and have not even dented my stock's of weed. Each run I was using a can and a half of butane.

Is there a quick easy method I should be looking at doing to create some half decent oil? Has anyone ever had a similar experience with processing larger quantities? How did you do it and what tricks did you find helped?

ISO is kind of hard to find and expensive in my area, and again I think I would look like a deviate buying up bottles and bottles of the stuff.

I am thinking acetone may be the way to go. I could buy a couple of bottles from different hardware stores and try to perform a quick wash before filtering BACK into the acetone containers. From here I could boil it off in a rice cooker(outdoors, well ventilated) and as it reduces add from my stored bottles of acetone/oil mix until its all gone. Finally I could tip it out into a flat glass pyrex container before it reduces too much and lightly cover, letting it sit for a few weeks to slow purge before heat purging and scraping it all up for storage.

I know a lot of people have concerns with acetone but I will be sure to purge it extensively and will get a test bottle first to evap in a glass pan to test for residue. If it passes I will stick to that brand.

Any advice/hints are very much appreciated!!

I wouldn't use acetone from a hardware store. Look for hplc reagent grade.

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
I have 4 of the queen bee extractors. It lets me blast a pound at a time. Usually takes about 30-45 mins to blast all 4. But you say you don't wanna be buying shit loads of butane. The thing is with that much material, no matter what route you go, your gonna have to have lot's of whatever solvent you use to extract.

You can always order your butane online. Ebay usually has good deals when you buy in bulk.

I have 4 of the queen bee extractors. It lets me blast a pound at a time. Usually takes about 30-45 mins to blast all 4. But you say you don't wanna be buying shit loads of butane. The thing is with that much material, no matter what route you go, your gonna have to have lot's of whatever solvent you use to extract.

You can always order your butane online. Ebay usually has good deals when you buy in bulk.

Agreed. Unless you can acquire a CLS, you will require a very large amount of solvent regardless of the route if it is being exhausted each and every time you make a pass. As pointed out in a previous post even a small passive system would allow you to diminish to total amount of solvent used and reduce how much you have to buy exponentially even if it slows down the time to run it.

HatchBrew

Veteran
Ice ice baby...

tjDaO5a.png

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I wouldn't use acetone from a hardware store. Look for hplc reagent grade.

High purity acetone is highly watched nowadays, one of the few things I won't be buying online anymore.

I've been buying canned butane online from anyone that's had a brand I hadn't tested for residuals yet, and knock on wood, no one's come knocking on my door...

I've also bought gallons of 99.9% isopropyl alcohol from eBay without problems.

Ethanol is readily available from these two,

http://organicalcohol.com/store/index.php/products/

http://www.kleenxtract.com/our-products/

AnonMe

I am familiar with ice hash, and bubble bags thank you.

It is one of my favorites. However, variety is the spice of life and I've had a lot of requests from close friends for some oil. I mix it up a bit. Sometimes I thrash my trash in some bags, sometimes I squirt butane through it.

As much as I enjoy the whole hash making experience it too is also a rather large operation for me. Moving about all the water and sopping wads of weed. I'd also need to produce or purchase a lot of ice and store it, which in my area (middle of Australia) poses logistical problems in itself. It needs to be kept in the freezer in these parts as a bag of ice will become a bag of water rather quickly.

I guess I should have got the big bags so I could do larger batches at once. I'd also suggest to anyone out there thinking of getting them not to bother with the 7 grades or what ever. I cant remember how many I have but its the one that allows you to classify it into many MANY micron. I always end up removing a few grade bags in between for fewer grades and less piles of hash drying.

So with that, my heart is still set on making some oil (this time). I still think purchasing 40 cans of butane (I'm guessing amounts) would look WAY more suss than 4 x 5lt bottles of Acetone.

In the mean time, it looks like I may have sourced some 5lt bottles of 99.98% ISO that I feel comfortable buying in multiples. I will probably go with the tried and tested in this case and I think it will be a bit quicker and easier to process. Don't get me wrong. I am still a fan of BHO and it is super quick and easy, but not so with larger quantities of product.

Thank you all for your comments, if anyone has anything else to add for anyone that may be following this feel free :D

Cheers all.

Snype

Veteran
I don't understand people who say "that's a lot of work". When you're talking about 25 pounds, it's always going to equal a lot of work. No matter what anyone says, you're going to say, "that's a lot of work". Well where I come from and the trim that I use, I get about 2 oz of oil per pound. That would be 50 oz at a rate of 750 - $1,000 an oz. That's a lot of money. I hope you find some way to magically turn all that into something but I don't know. Most people can't make that type of money in a year and if you had a CLS that could run 5 pounds at a time you can run all that material in a couple of days. Doesn't sound like a lot of work to me. You said a CLS is impossible to obtain but the internet makes anything possible with shipping. You could even ship it to a UPS store.

AnonMe

let me qualify my statements by saying
"impossible to obtain... in the short period of time that I wish to process this material and get the waste out into the compost".

I'm looking to get this done in less than 3 days, with the 'day' parts of my day being occupied with other business. So 3 nights really.

The work and effort would not bother me if I was not so time starved at the moment as I could take breaks between butane runs or chillax over night while I freeze more ice.

All I was seeking was advice on larger scale, cheap, easy oil extraction. Apologies if seeking a cheap, easy solutions has some how annoyed or offended you.

This was not my intent.

Snype

Veteran
"impossible to obtain... in the short period of time that I wish to process this material and get the waste out into the compost".

I'm looking to get this done in less than 3 days, with the 'day' parts of my day being occupied with other business. So 3 nights really.

The work and effort would not bother me if I was not so time starved at the moment as I could take breaks between butane runs or chillax over night while I freeze more ice.

All I was seeking was advice on larger scale, cheap, easy oil extraction. Apologies if seeking a cheap, easy solutions has some how annoyed or offended you.

This was not my intent.

Not annoyed at all. I hope someone comes up with a good idea because I'd love to hear it. Using bubble bags for that much material is difficult. I always get a lot less with the big bags.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
even if you want oil as an end product it would make sense to me to run it all through ice and bags as a first step.

take the resulting bubble hash and process with butane using the thermos method for BHO or dissolve in ethanol, winterize, cold evaporate with fans for shatter, boil off for honey oil.

Dab Strudel

This was not my intent.

Let me give you some harsh reality. Unless you had a hand full of closed loop systems and already knew how to use it and already had a CLS Tek and already had a Purge Tek and didnt require sleep and had an extra day, you still couldnt do it. Ok yes you could with all that, but your short on pretty much all of that. Your asking unrealistic stuff, find someone who does this and trust them.. when you get back itll be sold for you or ready for you. dont look for scum bags with promising gold filled words, get a quote thats about 50/50 or 40/60 in the processors favor and see if you dont end up with what you are actually looking for. You will personally mess up atleast 1/4 of what you have, you wont fully finish purging any of it and its possible you can hurt yourself making it or someone when they ingest it. the more strain you put on yourself for time and the good ole american "right here right now" you press for, the more likely youll fuck up big or small, small being ruining the material, big being hurting someone. If its about the need for money, trust that your rushing wont help at all. itll hinder. suck up the fact that you dont have time and youll be better off in the long run. suck up the fact that youll only get half(ish) of the resulting oils from your material and you will be happy. seek a reputable person to process your material, maybe someone from here, and let the world work the way it is intended. Who knows, maybe the person you find will be a life long friend, after all peace and unity is a goal on some level for alot of people. As Slightly Stoopid says-
Some man live his life for profits alone,
That very same man he lives his life all alone,
And the road to life yes it goes up and down,
Doesn't really matter as long as the music goes on,
Hey mister collie man why don't you come round no more,
Hey mister collie collie man don't you hear me troubled call hey, mister collie man look i didn't come to disturb,
You best not be come 'round here unless you've got me sensi herb.

Thats deep.. I didnt mean to offend, I come in peace, blunt peace... Not a smoking blunt, those taste gross, blunt like a unsharpended pencil. :biggrin:

Ice ice baby...

View Image

For real though, I want that hoodie ;)