What's new

White tips on Buds

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I have an ACE Congo at about 6 wk flower and last couple of days I've noticed the top of the bud go white. At first I thought it was maybe forming male flowers or heaps of white hairs, but after a google search I'm wondering if it is caused by the LED I use and the fact that I have pushed this grow and had the lights closer than in the past. Everything looks otherwise healthy.

This is the article I came across. Anyone else had this or have any comments? It seems to be healthy growth. A further search suggests bleaching and that it's a bad thing?
https://www.leafly.com/news/growing/white-tips-on-cannabis-buds

Last edited:

thailer

i've only seen this once shared by another grower who uses single ended bulbs and he thought it was some sort of variegation. it wasn't the tip of the bud though and he kept a cut and ran it a couple times. this article says it is white because of the extreme amount of trichomes. you describe it as heaps of white hairs. i'd really like to see a pic.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I'll try and get a pic up in the next day or so. Lights out at present. I guess the white could be trichomes, that would be great. Too early to see. Most buds are developing as normal. These are distinctly different and are generally closer to the light, which is why I thought bleaching.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
Thanks Creeperpark.
Anyway here's a pic. It will be interesting to see it develop. Already looks different to yesterday.
picture.php

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I use an Optic 4 and yes there are blues as well as white, reds, deep reds and UV.

bushed

I've seen this also with hps when I have neglected to move the light up. It also may be genetics as I have seen it several times from the same line.

The albino bud cures grey doesn't have much taste a bit of an anti climax after how cool it looks on the plant.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bleached tips are common. Ive had it happen under hps and lec. More common under hps. Its a sigh lights are a tad close.