What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dealing with fire and smoke

Norcal has been engulfed in smoke...again. Maybe this would be a question more suited for guys like Grey Wolf and the concentrate guys who can recommend certain medias for CRC, but what are the options for dealing with outdoor plants subjected to a couple weeks of smoke? Obviously most people don't have LP systems and CRC columns available.

For the huge numbers of people dealing with smoke taint this year, what is the best plan to salvage what you can from this harvest?

It’s been smokey where I am up by Redding it’s not really all that bad. I can’t smell it it’s more of a visual thing. Today it actually fully cleared out.

OCdirty

i'm dealing with it bad, but don't think i'm worried about salvaging harvest. I wash my buds after harvest, should get rid of any ash, etc on them. But I feel like the smoking is almost forcing plants to finish early

OCdirty

That ash should be great for your soil if you are in mounds or growing in the ground

yeap, the problem is the ash all over the buds. that has me nervous, I generally wash my buds after harvest, but still nervous about ash sitting on them for a few more weeks. Been taking a leaf blower to them 2x's a day

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
That sucks you guys are dealing with that. Best wishes for great harvest and your safety to you Cali folks dealing with these fires. I hope y'all get some rain!

St. Phatty

Smoke doesn't have much effect on Pot.

We had WAAAY more smoke in 2013 & 2018.

Actually I think the smoke helps one of my Cannabis growing neighbors.

He doesn't mulch around the base of his plants so his roots, near the surface, BAKE in the sun.

End result - 100% popcorn buds. Not one bud 2 inches long, on dozens of 6 foot tall Cannabis plants.

I'm 20 miles from one fire, 40 miles from another fire, etc. etc.

<go outside to look around, sun just rose>

attachment.php

Just a sprinkling of ash on the car and the plants.

Attachments

• IMG_20200910_070435_chem+ash.jpg
    IMG_20200910_070435_chem+ash.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 24

MCGold

i'm dealing with it bad, but don't think i'm worried about salvaging harvest. I wash my buds after harvest, should get rid of any ash, etc on them. But I feel like the smoking is almost forcing plants to finish early

that's because it is causing it to finish earlier than it should. the smoke is causing the sun to get blocked out which is tricking the plants to think that the season is finishing and it forces the plants to finish early.