What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Would you help me plan my next grow?

Hi there! Spring is getting closer in southern hemisphere and I was thinking if some of you could give me a hand with my growing plan!
A few months ago i harvested my first succesful grow. It was kind of an 'emergency grow', since the ladies I planted that spring died in mid summer I decided to germinate a few seeds to see if it works and, surprisingly, the only one that sprouted happened to be a female!

Now, spring is getting closer so I was thinking it was time to think about my next grow. After doing some research I came up with this idea:

-Start to germinate(BAGSEED) at late spring/early summer. (I definitely DON'T want huge plants, I prefer more smaller plants than fewer bigger ones).
-As soon as possible, transplant to a not-so-big pot (to control the size) and do some LST.
-I have some organic compost thats been 'workin' since an year or so. I was thinking that this could provide all the needed nutrients. Otherwise, I would use teas.
-When they show sex, I would keep all the ladies and the healthier boy. And here comes the importance of small plants, it would be easier to keep the male away from the ladies that way.

Now, there are a few things I'm not sure about:

-Considering that plants start flowering in late summer/early autumn: Will they be mature enough to flower properly if I germinate in late spring/early summer?
-Is it possible that they rootwound if I germinate them not-so-early and use small/medium pots?

If you think that this plan is bullshit, feel free to destroy it and throw the pieces in my face (?).

My goals with this grow are:
-Growing at least two different females
-Growing at least one male
-Pollinate a few flowers of the females
-Store pollen
-Keeping plants short. I will need to move them in order to protect them from storms and nature itself.
Y really don't mind if I don't harvest a pchillion pounds, as long as I end up with something smokeable.

Once again, thank you all for the amazing site! I definitely will do a grow diary for this!

If you plant photoperiod plants early, they will get huge. Only autoflowers *should* mature "early".

If anything, plant them late.

If they are Sativa, they may flower entirely too late, and never be fully mature by the first frost.

I wouldn't recommend breeding. I would just buy some seeds online.

Even online seeds aren't necessarily gonna be stable genetics. The home grown seeds won't be the same as the mothers.
I think it really is best to buy seeds from a seed bank.

Right now I'm flowering bagseeds, while I waited for online seeds. I started with like 12, had a few runts. Now I have half that have the scent of a tomato plant but grow vigorously. I KNOW they are the seeds from boring weed that I'm tired of. Probably productive as a grower, but I don't wanna smoke it.

The other half are personal keepers from a friend. One smells like lime, two like mint, and one like fruit.
Only the lime and fruit ones look like they would yield well. I took a clone off of the lime plant, I also like it's structure.

Out of bagseeds, half popped. of the half that popped, half are basically a waste of space. Only 5% look good and smell good. It's a shitload of effort to grow, bad genetics are really just as bad as anything else that can hurt yield and quality... Totally avoidable!

In conclusion, I think that spending a week or two browsing autoflowers would be way better for you.
Some finish in <60 days from seed, others 100. Some never go past 2' high, others will be 7'. You can plant them after the last frost, and harvest them in the summer. They harvest after a certain amount of days, they don't care about the season. Photoperiod plants will grow until fall, and may be taller than you, and can't be harvested early.

You can also buy some known good outdoor seeds that are cheap, and start them indoors. You have to look at the harvest date of the strains.. you cannot get a late one in a cool climate. So subtract say 90 days from harvest, and grow indoors for the first month. Start at a 18/6 -24/0 schedule. Move outside like 8 weeks before harvest, and they should grow to a minimum height, yet be mature and flower on time (probably). Or just plant MANY outdoors, and hope the seedlings survive.

It's all about schedule, and with autos you can harvest early without growing indoors.
I think autoflowers are better genetics than random home bred stuff, because you aren't growing indoors to breed and isolate them.
Hell, even picking and keeping mother plants takes time and space.

I say either clone good photos, or plant multiple short&fast autos.

Just do not plant early if you can't have tall plants. Unless they are sativas, germinate them 90 days before the first frost, and harden them for outdoor growing at 3-4 weeks.

I heard pollination is what makes "brick weed" give you a headache... Don't pollenate your whole stash. Mark a branch and do a little if you MUST breed lol.

P.S. check out fabric pots/smart pots/air pots.

Fixer

I'm with PizzaMan5000. Autoflowers are perfect for what you've described. They grow fast and stay small. I've had great luck with Mephisto for auto seeds but everyone offers auto fems now.

Do you want to start breeding or are you just trying to make seed stock? If you can manage to get seeds shipped to you buy them from someone who does it professionally. I've grown more crap than good weed with questionable genetics. Especially if you can only grow one crop per season.

When you get something growing post some pics. :)

St. Phatty

Are there any Auto flower Haze strains available ?

I have a regular plant with Cookie for mothers and Jack Herer for father.

It was the smallest of all the plants at the beginning of flowering.

Now it is the tallest.

If you plant photoperiod plants early, they will get huge. Only autoflowers *should* mature "early".

If anything, plant them late.

If they are Sativa, they may flower entirely too late, and never be fully mature by the first frost.

I wouldn't recommend breeding. I would just buy some seeds online.

Even online seeds aren't necessarily gonna be stable genetics. The home grown seeds won't be the same as the mothers.
I think it really is best to buy seeds from a seed bank.

Right now I'm flowering bagseeds, while I waited for online seeds. I started with like 12, had a few runts. Now I have half that have the scent of a tomato plant but grow vigorously. I KNOW they are the seeds from boring weed that I'm tired of. Probably productive as a grower, but I don't wanna smoke it.

The other half are personal keepers from a friend. One smells like lime, two like mint, and one like fruit.
Only the lime and fruit ones look like they would yield well. I took a clone off of the lime plant, I also like it's structure.

Out of bagseeds, half popped. of the half that popped, half are basically a waste of space. Only 5% look good and smell good. It's a shitload of effort to grow, bad genetics are really just as bad as anything else that can hurt yield and quality... Totally avoidable!

In conclusion, I think that spending a week or two browsing autoflowers would be way better for you.
Some finish in <60 days from seed, others 100. Some never go past 2' high, others will be 7'. You can plant them after the last frost, and harvest them in the summer. They harvest after a certain amount of days, they don't care about the season. Photoperiod plants will grow until fall, and may be taller than you, and can't be harvested early.

You can also buy some known good outdoor seeds that are cheap, and start them indoors. You have to look at the harvest date of the strains.. you cannot get a late one in a cool climate. So subtract say 90 days from harvest, and grow indoors for the first month. Start at a 18/6 -24/0 schedule. Move outside like 8 weeks before harvest, and they should grow to a minimum height, yet be mature and flower on time (probably). Or just plant MANY outdoors, and hope the seedlings survive.

It's all about schedule, and with autos you can harvest early without growing indoors.
I think autoflowers are better genetics than random home bred stuff, because you aren't growing indoors to breed and isolate them.
Hell, even picking and keeping mother plants takes time and space.

I say either clone good photos, or plant multiple short&fast autos.

Just do not plant early if you can't have tall plants. Unless they are sativas, germinate them 90 days before the first frost, and harden them for outdoor growing at 3-4 weeks.

I heard pollination is what makes "brick weed" give you a headache... Don't pollenate your whole stash. Mark a branch and do a little if you MUST breed lol.

P.S. check out fabric pots/smart pots/air pots.

I forgot to mention some importan things in my original post:
-Weed growing isn't absolutely legal in my country and seeds aren't easy nor cheap to get.
-I don't have and I'm not planning to get indoor equipment.

Otherwise, thanks for your advise! And sorry for the late reply, I absolutely forgot to check this post for the past weeks...
About pollinating, I was thinking to do exactly what you mention; just pollinate a little section of the plant. Also, the idea of breeding whatever shows off from this grow is just for entertainment reasons, since I can't reach quality seeds and it felt really good to smoke my own weed.
I know that most of you are used to a really high quality stuff compared to what Argentinians can get at reasonable price in the 'market', so I understand that you see completely useless to spend any effort in unknown bagseeds. But, apart from those who are paying a fortune for bank seeds and indoor growing equipment, no one who has the opportunity to grow something will refuse it.. Even if its not fancy weed.
Again, thanks for your advise and attention! In these few weeks i've been doing some research and came across with the 'light depravation' technique. I am currently trying it and thinking to start a grow journal. As I state in the original post, I have plenty of time since I'm studying at home because of the lockdown; so it isn't that hard to me to keep an eye on the plants!

All of my new genetics are from an online seedbank. They smuggle them in the mail. Though they are illegal to germinate, in the U.S. it's not illegal to have seeds. So there is no criminal charge if your mail gets intercepted. I'm not sure what your laws are.

I still think ordering autoflowers are your best bet. Because you would have to do light deprivation to certain strains. You might not be able to do that twice per day.

You can find autoflowers that aren't feminized btw. So you could pollenate them if you want.
If you are really afraid, it may still be worth the risk. Though I know they are expensive.
But having a handful of "regular" male/female autoflowers seeds may be gold for you.

All of my new genetics are from an online seedbank. They smuggle them in the mail. Though they are illegal to germinate, in the U.S. it's not illegal to have seeds. So there is no criminal charge if your mail gets intercepted. I'm not sure what your laws are.

I still think ordering autoflowers are your best bet. Because you would have to do light deprivation to certain strains. You might not be able to do that twice per day.

You can find autoflowers that aren't feminized btw. So you could pollenate them if you want.
If you are really afraid, it may still be worth the risk. Though I know they are expensive.
But having a handful of "regular" male/female autoflowers seeds may be gold for you.

Thanks man! I'll see what I can find!