What's new

Indy 500 in a empty house.

G

So weird to be watching the Indy 500 in a totally empty track. First time ever it has been not blacked out in the coverage area where I am. I can remember playing golf in the middle of the track when there was a 9 hole course in addition to the one outside the track. I have actually hit golf balls off the yard of brick when we snuck in that area many years ago. Then again I have been to the race in the infield and never saw a car on the track. Back in the day it was almost like bartertown but full of fun folks having huge parities and even stripper poles set up.

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Oh my my, and whoever developed this evil thing isn't paying a dime but we are getting crushed

buzzmobile

Veteran
There are a limited number of race fans at the Speedway today. I know several people that are there now. Masks are required and the number of tickets was reduced to allow for social distancing in the stands.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Whoever developed the race is long dead and the money goes the other way anyway.

They don't pay, they get paid.

Advertisers pay.

Corporate America sucks it out of the consumer and worker alike.

Then they get you to buy tickets.

Lots and lots of dimes.

Gry

Veteran
So weird to be watching the Indy 500 in a totally empty track. First time ever it has been not blacked out in the coverage area where I am. I can remember playing golf in the middle of the track when there was a 9 hole course in addition to the one outside the track. I have actually hit golf balls off the yard of brick when we snuck in that area many years ago. Then again I have been to the race in the infield and never saw a car on the track. Back in the day it was almost like bartertown but full of fun folks having huge parities and even stripper poles set up.
Sounds a bit like the infield for the Derby.

Gry

Veteran
Been there done that. Good times.
Those people know how to put on a fireworks display.
Was able to see the 1976 fireworks in DC, and have seen
many Chinese New Years celebrations in Hong Kong.
The effort done for the derby is of that caliber.
Their bridge of fire has to be one of the most impressive things I
have ever seen as entertainment.