What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Choosing a keeper

St. Phatty

Isn't it obvious that a plant that herMiEs are a danger to a breeder who has numerous strains growing

the problem is not pollination.

the problem is un-controlled pollination.

i just fed a plant that hermied to the birds. eating it made a nice 3 day project for them.

i had taken clones, and now am thinking about growing them out -
so that if they release pollen, it is after mid-October. hoping to get a plant full of seeds. then give the Deer a chance to eat it.

Im'One

I crossed two of my favorite strains, island Sweet skunK and tashkenti hash plant. One pheno is growing fast and when I popped her inl the led room and dropped from 20/4 to 14/10 she jumped up Two " enches"
and started flowering. She smells like some one shitinapinetree.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
all of those strains listed are chem strains lol, I didn't really start the thread to ask what I should be looking for in a keeper, more so for people to share what they look for/their criteria, and also to bring up the issue of negative reviews when a strain might not have been given a proper chance

I'm growing some white dawgXgoji og and stardawgXspace queen, the white dawg goji had some full on male flowers on some lowers but there has also been some heat stress, I'm definitely going to run the cuts I have taken but will ultimately have to wait to see how they smoke

The very definition of a keeper is the cultivar you find that is easy to grow,
has the potency you like, and flavor and nose that gets you off.

If there are late flower hemie issues, just pluck them sacks.

mexweed

Veteran
I had an underdog original diesel s1 bagseed that I got to sprout, I feel like most people would think they would have to keep that around but I didn't even attempt to take cuts it hermied so bad, no visible male flowers but actually produced a lot of seed, the white dawg goji has that thing where there are maybe one or two visible seed calyxes but generally doesn't seem seeded, it's something the legends ultimate indica also did when I grew it

mexweed

Veteran
I heard Adam Dunn talking about plants that don't grow right when taken as a cut early in flower and doesn't consider such plants keepers, they just keep stacking tight nodes as if they were flowering, the two cuts of stardawgXspace queen I have vegging are doing this, it seems like it should basically make one super long cola which would actually be cool, but I don't see being able to take more cuts from them unless I chop off like 5 nodes and top it

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I have a plant I called PurpAl. I've tortured it and stress tested and she never herms. I crossed it to a quantum kush male.
Their offspring throws nanners. The yellow nanners are obvious against the purplish flower.
They show up maybe 5 weeks into bloom. I think I've ran them 4 times. Maybe find 2 or 3 seeds a run. Sometimes 0.

Nanners showing aren't always the end of the world. But if they heavily seeded everything else in the tent, then I wouldn't keep them anymore.

I'm growing out one of those seeds I found in one of the PurpAl x Quantum Kush daughters.
picture.php

So far this one also throws a few nanners, although no where as many. I haven't seen any seeds forming yet, but we shall see after harvest.

G

I have a plant I called PurpAl. I've tortured it and stress tested and she never herms. I crossed it to a quantum kush male.
Their offspring throws nanners. The yellow nanners are obvious against the purplish flower.
They show up maybe 5 weeks into bloom. I think I've ran them 4 times. Maybe find 2 or 3 seeds a run. Sometimes 0.

Nanners showing aren't always the end of the world. But if they heavily seeded everything else in the tent, then I wouldn't keep them anymore.

I'm growing out one of those seeds I found in one of the PurpAl x Quantum Kush daughters.
View Image
So far this one also throws a few nanners, although no where as many. I haven't seen any seeds forming yet, but we shall see after harvest.

Thats the one. Interesting gal sounds like.
My bottom bitch pushes nanners late like clockwork.

Nannymouse

Choosing a keeper. Hmmmmm. First, i'd say figure out what growing style or technique that you can do easily and for a long time. Choose a 'strain' or 'cut' that matures in your desired schedule limit. Compare several females over time, keep the one that both grows well and has what you are looking for in the end product.

Avoid bringing drama upon the garden. Keep it as simple as possible. Or not.

Attempting to chase several plants in several directions over several optimum time frames is rather chaotic for the average person, with limited lights and space.

Mouse doesn't get as upset as some over hermies. Personal tolerances and different situations.