What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Indonesia and papua new guinea

I believe these two places have truly pure sativas, probably two of only a few countries on earth that do, maybe even the only two. Reports of very small seeds, very thin leaves, very long flowering and extremely psychedelic highs. These four traits are the foundations of a truly pure sativa. It is known that wild pure sativas have very small seeds.

Preservationists need to explore these two countries for such plants. The world needs these seeds. I need these seeds. No more selective breeding, im tired of it, look at the indian landrace exchange, they are using selective breeding techniques on their sativas, effectively ridding them of the special high, no one cares about how they grow except for people that never even cared about the special effects in the first place, they just wanna get drugged. If they did want it for the special high they wouldnt care if it didnt even flower by when they wanted to harvest, they would smoke the leaves or make everclear oil with the leaves if they really wanted that special high.
Now, only the landrace team uses open pollination for reproduction.

I heard about some place or god forbid more than one place in papua has mulummimby madness for sure and maybe some with hybrids. But it seems there are still many spots with the pure stuff.

In Indonesia it seems the pure stuff is all thats around, but maybe there are places with hybrids, hopefully at least some places have the pure stuff.

Anyone have experiences they would like to share? Long stories are welcome.

Where are all the scientists and botanists? They should be preserving these special types of sativas.

:smokeit: :gday:

romanoweed

Im not shure if thin Leafes equal pure Sativa. I hunt for 70s Lines, found every third Vietnamese had Indica`ish Traits. And i would preffere those over modern thinleaved Vietnamese almost certainly.

And i hunt for the old Tripweed that makes you HIGH. Old Lines equals often good Effectreports.

Im also not shure if open Pollination is always better than selection.

Scientists say Landraces are selected. In good sized Populations, thats why they probably dont get inbreeding Depressed at Orgin. Open pollinating 10 Seeds doesent do the Preservation fully. Its narrowing Genepool, open or not. And trough not-selecting they can become wildish.. Weak, like hemp. After multiple Generations non-selected.

Preserving those Lines as is , might be big Operation, not a Project. Ultrahigh Numbers, Selection, neutralizing Growenviroment (if you dont grow at origin)....

And i dont know the best shortcut for this Operation.

The old Sativas are still around it seems, but rarely shared. So, good luck finding some. You said you like Thai, you might have better Chances finding old Thai in Australia/Newzeeland, there some survived from Exports in 70s. Probably inbreed ones, but i preffere it over what i see from Thailand todate

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
I heard about some place or god forbid more than one place in papua has mulummimby madness for sure and maybe some with hybrids. But it seems there are still many spots with the pure stuff.

In Indonesia it seems the pure stuff is all thats around, but maybe there are places with hybrids, hopefully at least some places have the pure stuff.

Where are all the scientists and botanists? They should be preserving these special types of sativas.

Mulummimby madness came from far northern nsw main arm to be exact and it was a hybrid.

PNG has many sativas the PNG Gold was an interesting plant it had a sativa frame with very fat chunky sat flowers grown around the cost so low land.

There was a very old 60 minuets program on PNG Gold were they went and spoke to the locals growing it and they were trading a lot of the PNG Gold for guns.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Mulummimby madness came from far northern nsw main arm to be exact and it was a hybrid.

PNG has many sativas the PNG Gold was an interesting plant it had a sativa frame with very fat chunky sat flowers grown around the cost so low land.

There was a very old 60 minuets program on PNG Gold were they went and spoke to the locals growing it and they were trading a lot of the PNG Gold for guns.

The 60 minuets program was in the early 80s from memory i tried to find it and on one nam vet growing Maui on Maui both very interesting shows.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I live in Australia, and in 1982 I had a friend who used to travel to PNG a lot; enough that he spoke fluent pidgin. He was handing out random Australian bag seeds on most of his trips there telling the natives that it was a sort of tobacco. Incidently we lived a couple of hours drive from Mullumbimby but I wouldn't know if it was amongst what we smoked and grew. Almost no varieties had names back then and MM was more like a generic term for good pot in the area. I would highly doubt that MM exists in PNG. Cannabis is not native to PNG at all and there is no ancient culture that uses it to my knowledge. However there was a strain called PNG gold that was in Oz in the eighties and nineties. There was a trade between Australia and PNG that was guns for cannabis. I can remember a lengthy magazine article about it from nearly 40 years ago.

Indonesia on the other hand does have a long history of using the drug so it would not surprise me if there were some excellent old strains there. Sumatran weed used to be legendary.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
I believe these two places have truly pure sativas, probably two of only a few countries on earth that do, maybe even the only two. Reports of very small seeds, very thin leaves, very long flowering and extremely psychedelic highs. These four traits are the foundations of a truly pure sativa. It is known that wild pure sativas have very small seeds.

Preservationists need to explore these two countries for such plants. The world needs these seeds. I need these seeds. No more selective breeding, im tired of it, look at the indian landrace exchange, they are using selective breeding techniques on their sativas, effectively ridding them of the special high, no one cares about how they grow except for people that never even cared about the special effects in the first place, they just wanna get drugged. If they did want it for the special high they wouldnt care if it didnt even flower by when they wanted to harvest, they would smoke the leaves or make everclear oil with the leaves if they really wanted that special high.
Now, only the landrace team uses open pollination for reproduction.

im not sure why you think only those two places have pure sativas ,
many still do , as i said to you on another thread , you need to get out and about a bit more so u can check it out ,

as far as im aware , png has had indica hybrids arrive on its shores , just like many other places ,
it still doesnt mean all the pure stuff is gone though , again , as with other places ...

in the other thread i noted you said there is no pure thai anymore , there sure is plenty of pure thai , and laos , and cambodian , indian , african and south american sativas ...

there are many things that happen away from the internet and canna seed companies , the world is still a big place and there is definitely plenty of pure sativas around on it ...

btw , yes i have grown png gold , such a delicious fruity variety , packed with resin , and i lived there during my developing years as a boy ...

romanoweed

I understand why he is led to believe that.. Very few of the Sativas sold now, lead to this terriffic Smokereports you heard from old Stoners. I mean the terific spooky Thai, and lifechnging Indonesian... Still sold, or widely shared? not the case here.

So, he is right in suspecting problems (it seems), Wether it is hybridisation, inbreeding, wrong breeding or whatever that changed Sativas pretty strong.

Old Sativa, means often good Sativa, and these are rarely accessible here. And he seemingly knows how old Thai smokes.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I understand why he is led to believe that.. Very few of the Sativas sold now, lead to this terriffic Smokereports you heard from old Stoners. I mean the terific spooky Thai, and lifechnging Indonesian... Still sold, or widely shared? not the case here.

So, he is right in suspecting problems (it seems), Wether it is hybridisation, inbreeding, wrong breeding or whatever that changed Sativas pretty strong.

Old Sativa, means often good Sativa, and these are rarely accessible here. And he seemingly knows how old Thai smokes.
The reason is pretty obvious. No commercial grower and very few hobbyists grow pure sativas due to their difficulty, long flower times, and yield compared to modern hybrids.

Also because of domestic production now being mostly indoors the old weed smuggling days are over so you aren't likely to see any of these varieties in the West unless you go to the trouble of growing your own.

You can still get some of these varieties at places like Real Seed Company, ACE ( a few varieties), and if you are prepared to travel, in places like Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, parts of India and Nepal. Not everything is hybridised and modern hybrids would have a hard time outdoors in some traditional climates.

Reactions: xet

romanoweed

i have seen like 50 Thai lines from private Collectors from their Vacations, basicaly none of them came in my Collection . They visibly are different to the old Thai.

But its not just about the Leafe Size. Those are often thin-leaved lines today.

@realseedcompany actually showed a new Study about raising Hybridisation in India published by Robert Clarke. They prooved northern Indian became pretty much genetically the same as southern Indian per Example. Hybridisation seems to be full on happening.
Still: the Leavesize did not really change. Cause doo todays Sativa look more like Indicas? Obviously not exactly. I feel, the Hybridisation hides pretty well compared to the extent that was reported in the Study.
I speculate Broadleave subsequently gets selected out by Enviroment once introduced, but genetically it still remains in it . The study prooved it happend, but the eye cant spot it.
Atleast its not that simple as: Thick leaf hbridised, thin Leaf pure

BUT, well the most trippy line i ever smoked was very thinleaved. BUT it remains an uncomplete indicator for strong, good old Tripweed

Chi13

ICMag Donor
i have seen like 50 Thai lines from private Collectors from their Vacations, basicaly none of them came in my Collection . They visibly are different to the old Thai.

But its not just about the Leafe Size. Those are often thin-leaved lines today.

@realseedcompany actually showed a new Study about raising Hybridisation in India published by Robert Clarke. They prooved northern Indian became pretty much genetically the same as southern Indian per Example. Hybridisation seems to be full on happening.
Still: the Leavesize did not really change. Cause doo todays Sativa look more like Indicas? Obviously not exactly. I feel, the Hybridisation hides pretty well compared to the extent that was reported in the Study.
I speculate Broadleave subsequently gets selected out by Enviroment once introduced, but genetically it still remains in it . The study prooved it happend, but the eye cant spot it.
Atleast its not that simple as: Thick leaf hbridised, thin Leaf pure

BUT, well the most trippy line i ever smoked was very thinleaved. BUT it remains an uncomplete indicator for strong, good old Tripweed
Maybe Thai is a bad example, but you can find very similar pot to the old Thai Stick in Laos. I have been there in the last few years and had cannabis that reminded me of old thai stick. Not identical as it lacked the paranoia, but I have no doubt this was unhybridised. I also believe that several of the RSC varieties are unhybridised, but am yet to grow them out.

The biggest danger to the old varieties is young people who are used to a couchlock effect visiting traditional places wingeing about quality. I doubt something like Thai Stick would be popular around younger smokers, and i am thinking anyone younger than about 55. They are simply after a totally different effect than what I was brought up with.Virtually nothing that is advertised as sativa by seed banks are what I would call sativa.

I don't hate hybrids, and I grow and use them myself. But I wish there were more of the real old sativas on the market just to have that choice of effect.

romanoweed

I just named Thai, cause i seen mostly Thais , but Laos made nearly an as bad impression as thai. same for vietnam, i guess indonesia. It is vastly different weed, visibly. has a pale color to it.

My Ratings are suggestive, but rejecting that many, might indicate i am very shure about what im dooing. It has to be ultimate strong, otherwise it is not the same. It is changed.

Slightly changed, it pretty much dont do the trick no more. Or did you have hallucinations on a modern Laos? I seen 10 modern Laos, all rejected.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
I just named Thai, cause i seen mostly Thais , but Laos made nearly an as bad impression as thai. same for vietnam, i guess indonesia. It is vastly different weed, visibly. has a pale color to it.

My Ratings are suggestive, but rejecting that many, might indicate i am very shure about what im dooing. It has to be ultimate strong, otherwise it is not the same. It is changed.

Slightly changed, it pretty much dont do the trick no more. Or did you have hallucinations on a modern Laos? I seen 10 modern Laos, all rejected.
are these samples smoked in the location they are native to ,or stuff you have grown yourself out of the tropical realm >>??

romanoweed

the Tripweed i once smoked was itselve grown in europe! It were old Lines, slightly fresh bud, so i strongly suggest its wasnt imported.

These built my Measurements, and my eperience was equal to the 70s veteran Stories, swearing they tripped, watching Sound coming out speakers for hours, you name it.

Well, i never tried a modern line, never. The reports of those modern Lines are coming from people growing in Europe aswell. But no more Tripstories on those. Thats what led me to reject many modern Lines (well i have other tactics for determing what is good).

So, bouth , the old 70s Tripweed, aswell as modern Lines were bouth grown in Europe or US.

I know un-native growing might change the Effect, but in my Experience it doesent seem to be a Dealbreaker per se, if done right indoors.

Last edited:

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
yea i think its going to always be better grown where it hails from ,
particularly those tropical lines ,
sure some can translate into something special out of the realm and indoors ,
but i dont think too many do that in all honesty ...

the eradication programs did cull of some decent genetics im sure ,
and replicating them has not produced as many good samples as there once was i am also sure ,
some tropical varieties like thai , may not reach their full potential anywhere other than where they are from ... just like growing bananas indoor may give you bananas , but they will be lacking some things and likely not be as good as if they were grown where they came from ..

Chi13

ICMag Donor

I grew up with pure sativas in the 70s, thai stick, Indonesian, Indian, even Colombian and probably a lot more, as well as quality local sinsemilla which was mostly from those lines. I smoked some pot in Laos a few years ago that reminded me very much of Thai Stick and highs of old, accept the paranoia of Thai was replaced with intense euphoria. So no, it wasn't Thai, it was Laos. I had a high that I hadn't had since early 80s. I am 100% sure that it was pure, unhybridised. I don't have tests to prove it, just my over 40 years experience. No one argues that hybrids are increasingly a problem, but to say that no pure landrace exists is wrong.

Can I ask though about all these Thai and Lao that you've rejected? Are they imports or locally grown? Have you tried growing any of these lines yourself? I am also a bit confused by your talk of Thai, yet the experience you describe was from locally grown Vietnamese? Have you been to any of these countries? I'm guessing you smoked Thai Stick when it was available, so is the colour of the Laos compared to the Thai what you mean?

I am glad that you had a trippy experience with cannabis. Those type of experiences are great, can be almost life changing. I also have had this, but not for decades. These days I chase euphoria, rather than trippy. If I want to trip I will take mushrooms.

Good luck on your search. I hope you find what you want.:good:

Last edited:

TheDarkStorm

I think when when you look at things properly and weigh them up against a one time profound trippy experience vs a situation were hundreds of thousands of people consistently for more than a decade are having the same intense, profoundly life long impression, mind altering trippy heart racing experience...and then suddenly not having that and evryone noticing that the quality has completely changed desipite the goods comings imported from the same area and been grown in the same area, and sometimes in the exact same farms then we know something is wrong....so saying that those genetics are still the same as the high quality lines from the 60s' 70s and early 80s is clearly untrue....some maybe similar/same...but its obvious that those earlier high powered high quality lines had either gone underground or more likely lost through hybridization...not all of them but clearly some of the best disappeared and are probably most likely lost. (Apart from any small amounts perhaps kept in private collections)