Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > ICMag Vendor Forums > Female Seeds > grapefruit genetics

Thread Title Search
Click for great cannabis genetics at Female Seeds!
grapefruit genetics Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-19-2007, 09:48 PM #1
fortragni
Renegade Gardener

fortragni will become famous soon enoughfortragni will become famous soon enoughfortragni will become famous soon enough
grapefruit genetics

75%C99 x 'strong fruit sativa', anyone know what the mystery sativa is? and does the 75%C99 imply a backcross of the C99xSFsativa to C99?
fortragni is offline Quote

Old 05-04-2016, 07:01 AM #2
webguy

webguy will become famous soon enoughwebguy will become famous soon enoughwebguy will become famous soon enough
Bump
webguy is offline Quote

Old 02-05-2017, 04:02 AM #3
joeyclams

joeyclams is on a distinguished road
Bump
joeyclams is offline Quote

Old 02-24-2017, 03:21 PM #4
Female Seeds
Vendor

Female Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really nice
Here we are! Sorry for the late reply but our new website kept us busy for a long time...

Grapefruit genetics? Our beloved C99 bred with Autoflowering Sativa for a few generations!

If you have more questions or doubts, please write us again. We will try to reply as fast as possible!

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:21 AM #5
Sante

Sante is a jewel in the roughSante is a jewel in the roughSante is a jewel in the roughSante is a jewel in the roughSante is a jewel in the roughSante is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Female Seeds View Post
Here we are! Sorry for the late reply but our new website kept us busy for a long time...

Grapefruit genetics? Our beloved C99 bred with Autoflowering Sativa for a few generations!

If you have more questions or doubts, please write us again. We will try to reply as fast as possible!
1)Why make a cross of a C99 with a sativa autoflowering ....c99 is more yielder than autos, so fast as grapefruit and still with the same grapefruit phenotype....

2) Somewere i found this information "Look carefully on the seller website, these seeds (grapefruit) are female and no feminised. .."

What does it mean?
3) Finally I can' t understand what "semi autoflowering" means.

Could those start blooming phase without switch my light at 12/12?

4)is this grapefruit the same relase of the first losted after 2007 bust?

Sorry for a lot of questions, hoping in an answer from femaleseeds stuff.

Regards

Last edited by Sante; 12-11-2017 at 06:18 AM..
Sante is offline Quote

Old 05-28-2017, 11:41 AM #6
Columbo

I would guess semi-auto flowering means only a proportion and not all of the seeds will auto-flower. It may also mean that certain adverse conditions may initiate auto-flowering such as is seen in strains like Erdpurt when rootbound and grown below 45N.

Old 05-28-2017, 01:38 PM #7
sourpuss
Rainman

sourpuss has much to be proud ofsourpuss has much to be proud ofsourpuss has much to be proud ofsourpuss has much to be proud ofsourpuss has much to be proud ofsourpuss has much to be proud ofsourpuss has much to be proud ofsourpuss has much to be proud ofsourpuss has much to be proud ofsourpuss has much to be proud ofsourpuss has much to be proud of
Hmmm... if unselected the cross with auto should stay reg. Interesting method for breeding. Only thing i can think of is outdoor breeding is done without light control.

Old 05-29-2017, 01:35 PM #8
Female Seeds
Vendor

Female Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really nice
Hey Sante,

No probs. I won't reply to all questions since I am still waiting for a message from Ferry, Female Seeds' breeder and founder. Anyhow I can give you an answer to 1 of the 4 points you wrote.

3) All our semi-auto strains were developed before the automatic era. We started breeding automatic lines with our early-flowering lines in the beginning of the 90's.
We were after plants that not started flowering in spring, but started flowering very early in Summer. Plants first mature, then go into flower. So we went after the late maturing ones.. We sold the very early maturing ones as " early Misty " seeds, nowadays called "automatics". In those days we were not interested in them, because of the bad smoking qualities, like the first "low riders", that came to the market at the end of the 90's...
So our semi-automatic plants are late maturing (around 10 weeks), so they cannot flower in the spring, when they mature. The autoflowering gene kicks in, the plants start flowering from inside out, a few weeks later the plant starts to react on the shorter day length, and because the autoflowering gene induced the flowering, it starts to flower faster and heavier, with an early finish.

Since many breeders or seed banks will surely tell you this is not true and that is partially wrong, please take it with a pinch of salt.
Here we share our ideas and opinions about our job, it does not always mean that is absolute truth.

As soon as I receive a reply from the breeder I will post it here.

Hope I gave you an idea of what you were asking.

All the best,
Mr B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sante View Post
1)I can not understand why cross a c99 with an utoflowering sativa....c99 is more yielder, same fast as grapefruit with the same grape phenotipe.... 2) Somewere i found that "Look carefully on the seller website, these seeds (grapefruit) are female and no feminised. .." wgat does it mean? 3) can not understand also what "semi autoflowering" means. If i put the plant...does it blooming without switch my light at 12/12? 4)is this grapefruit the same relase of the first lost after 2007 bust? Sorry for a lot of quastions, hoping in an answer from femaleseeds stuff. Regards

Last edited by Female Seeds; 06-02-2017 at 03:55 PM..
Female Seeds is offline Quote

Old 06-02-2017, 03:50 PM #9
Female Seeds
Vendor

Hello Sante,

I could finally talk to our breeder Ferry and hereby I post it for you all.
Hope you can enjoy the reading:

1) The Grapefruit was created years ago, approximately 10 years ago. And yes, at the time it was created by taking a C99 phenotype with a strong Grapefruit smell and crossing it with a fast flowering sativa plant. It's not an autoflowering plant, (which is always an indica), but a fast flowering (under low light conditions) sativa plant. At the time that was named semi-autoflowering, but that turned out to be confusing and misleading.
Since then the Grapefruit has been developed on by selecting the best phenotypes. The C99 hasn't been involved ever since. They are now just two separate strains

2) Female and feminised seeds refers to the process used to create female seeds. This is also something from over 10 years ago, when there were two main methods. The feminising way was less reliable and could cause some hermaphrodite problems. While the second process was more reliable and the seeds coming from that were named female. But this is all old school stuff. These days the processes have been perfected and all seeds are pretty reliable. It's also down to selecting the correct plants to use in the process

3) Semi autoflowering refers to fast flowering sativas who also bloom under low light conditions. 12/12 is recommended. But the term is old school

4) The current Grapefruit is derived from the initial batch from 2007. Only over the years the best phenotypes were selected and used for breeding.

I hope this explains it all a bit

All the best,
Mr B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sante View Post
1)I can not understand why cross a c99 with an utoflowering sativa....c99 is more yielder, same fast as grapefruit with the same grape phenotipe.... 2) Somewere i found that "Look carefully on the seller website, these seeds (grapefruit) are female and no feminised. .." wgat does it mean? 3) can not understand also what "semi autoflowering" means. If i put the plant...does it blooming without switch my light at 12/12? 4)is this grapefruit the same relase of the first lost after 2007 bust? Sorry for a lot of quastions, hoping in an answer from femaleseeds stuff. Regards

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:11 PM #10
Female Seeds
Vendor

Interesting indeed, these were our breeder's ideas since many people had problems because of the lack of light or light issues in general. The term "semi-autoflowering" just created some confusion... but in reality we were only dealing with and talking about fast flowering sativas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourpuss View Post
Hmmm... if unselected the cross with auto should stay reg. Interesting method for breeding. Only thing i can think of is outdoor breeding is done without light control.

2 members found this post helpful.