Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Outdoors > Any thoughts or experience on plastic mulching for guerilla?

Thread Title Search
Any thoughts or experience on plastic mulching for guerilla? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-02-2018, 03:42 PM #1
baduy

baduy is just really nicebaduy is just really nicebaduy is just really nicebaduy is just really nicebaduy is just really nicebaduy is just really nicebaduy is just really nicebaduy is just really nicebaduy is just really nicebaduy is just really nice
Any thoughts or experience on plastic mulching for guerilla?

Hi everyone
Tittle says it all
I never tried this because of concerns about fungal growth underneath and I realize that of all the growers I know nobody has done the experiment either but I have a very dry and sunny spot in a place where watering is a complicated task. what about putting a plastic sheet (with micro holes I assume) over the roots area at the start of dry season then cover it with a thick layer of straw, wood chips or dead leaves to avoid overheating the soil then take it off before the first autumn rains?
Would this allow me to save on waterings or would it just kill my plants in a week?
baduy is offline Quote

Old 02-02-2018, 04:17 PM #2
Easy7

Easy7 has much to be proud ofEasy7 has much to be proud ofEasy7 has much to be proud ofEasy7 has much to be proud ofEasy7 has much to be proud ofEasy7 has much to be proud ofEasy7 has much to be proud ofEasy7 has much to be proud ofEasy7 has much to be proud ofEasy7 has much to be proud ofEasy7 has much to be proud of
Just more trash to leave behind and look bad. Usually people do that as a weed barrier. Weeds still break thru.

Soil also needs to breathe. A cover crop such as clover will be dense and keep light off the soil. Stays cooler and moist. Straw if you want to haul that in or mulch, also works.

I am a more basic theory person. Getting more out of less work and investment. Not that there isn't a standard.

Leaf mulch also is great.

They say geniuses pick green
Easy7 is offline Quote

7 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:34 PM #3
MJPassion
Observer

MJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant future
Mulch DEEP with what’s in the area. (not less than 6in deep)

It’ll look more natural be less attractive to local critters that want nesting materials.
MJPassion is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:35 PM #4
bilko

bilko is just really nicebilko is just really nicebilko is just really nicebilko is just really nicebilko is just really nicebilko is just really nicebilko is just really nicebilko is just really nicebilko is just really nicebilko is just really nicebilko is just really nice
-

Last edited by bilko; 03-03-2018 at 09:34 AM..
bilko is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:41 PM #5
TychoMonolyth

TychoMonolyth has much to be proud ofTychoMonolyth has much to be proud ofTychoMonolyth has much to be proud ofTychoMonolyth has much to be proud ofTychoMonolyth has much to be proud ofTychoMonolyth has much to be proud ofTychoMonolyth has much to be proud ofTychoMonolyth has much to be proud ofTychoMonolyth has much to be proud ofTychoMonolyth has much to be proud ofTychoMonolyth has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by baduy View Post
Hi everyone
Tittle says it all
I never tried this because of concerns about fungal growth underneath and I realize that of all the growers I know nobody has done the experiment either but I have a very dry and sunny spot in a place where watering is a complicated task. what about putting a plastic sheet (with micro holes I assume) over the roots area at the start of dry season then cover it with a thick layer of straw, wood chips or dead leaves to avoid overheating the soil then take it off before the first autumn rains?
Would this allow me to save on waterings or would it just kill my plants in a week?
You'll cook your roots if you do that. If it was a cool climate, and you wanted to warm the soil for your plant, then ya. Good idea.

Bring a little hand garden rake with you, or just use your hands, and scrape up some ground mulch and use that. Don't be shy, use 12 inches if you can.
TychoMonolyth is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:40 PM #6
baduy

baduy is just really nicebaduy is just really nicebaduy is just really nicebaduy is just really nicebaduy is just really nicebaduy is just really nicebaduy is just really nicebaduy is just really nicebaduy is just really nicebaduy is just really nice
Thanks all for the answers.
Actually I always use a very thick mulch. The thing is one year I used some big flat stones which were around, covered the roots area with and used strawmulch on top of it and it really helped to prevent water evaporation, much better than a simple mulching. Now I have this very dry and sunny spot but no flat stones here just boulders so I was thinking maybe a thick mulch would prevent the plastic from heating too much but was reluctant to give it a try. There is a reason why I never tried it yet never needed it to heaten the soil either as it's already warm enough at planting time in my climate zone
But when I read about some of the super weird experiments some have done here I would have thought someone would have tried
baduy is offline Quote

Old 02-07-2018, 06:52 PM #7
TychoMonolyth

TychoMonolyth has much to be proud ofTychoMonolyth has much to be proud ofTychoMonolyth has much to be proud ofTychoMonolyth has much to be proud ofTychoMonolyth has much to be proud ofTychoMonolyth has much to be proud ofTychoMonolyth has much to be proud ofTychoMonolyth has much to be proud ofTychoMonolyth has much to be proud ofTychoMonolyth has much to be proud ofTychoMonolyth has much to be proud of
Quote:
Thanks all for the answers.
Actually I always use a very thick mulch. The thing is one year I used some big flat stones which were around, covered the roots area with and used strawmulch on top of it and it really helped to prevent water evaporation, much better than a simple mulching. Now I have this very dry and sunny spot but no flat stones here just boulders so I was thinking maybe a thick mulch would prevent the plastic from heating too much but was reluctant to give it a try. There is a reason why I never tried it yet never needed it to heaten the soil either as it's already warm enough at planting time in my climate zone
But when I read about some of the super weird experiments some have done here I would have thought someone would have tried
Use water crystals if you're worries about watering. Here's a short discussion on it. https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=349358
TychoMonolyth is offline Quote

Old 02-07-2018, 08:10 PM #8
amanda88

amanda88 is just really niceamanda88 is just really niceamanda88 is just really niceamanda88 is just really niceamanda88 is just really niceamanda88 is just really niceamanda88 is just really niceamanda88 is just really niceamanda88 is just really niceamanda88 is just really nice
Quote:
Hi everyone
Tittle says it all
Why not! ...it'll break down eventually

just like that plastic trash island between the us and japan

world need more good ideas from guys like you?

after all Elon Musk is dying to get into space

but thats another story

Old 02-07-2018, 08:35 PM #9
baduy

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda88 View Post
Why not! ...it'll break down eventually

just like that plastic trash island between the us and japan

world need more good ideas from guys like you?

after all Elon Musk is dying to get into space

but thats another story
Wow villagers lower your forks and blow your torches.
I am not recomending to buy plastic in any way, you're in a bad mood today? I got a bad news there is a whole topic called growing in greenhouse where you will find examples of use of tons of plastic lining so you should go there tell them they are destroying mother earth instead of pissing me off with your views about my RECYCLING strategies.
All the best
baduy is offline Quote

Old 02-07-2018, 08:47 PM #10
baduy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TychoMonolyth View Post
Use water crystals if you're worries about watering. Here's a short discussion on it. https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=349358
Yes water crystals have great potential for guerilla but I don't feel like buying 10 packs of diapers to collect some. On the opposite I had a big supply of blue plastic lining in an abandoned barn on my way to the spot.
Maybe next time I will bring a hammer and chisel to make my own flat stones
baduy is offline Quote