Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growing in Greenhouses > Humidity too high

Thread Title Search
Humidity too high Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-14-2018, 07:20 PM #31
highsteppa

highsteppa is a jewel in the roughhighsteppa is a jewel in the roughhighsteppa is a jewel in the roughhighsteppa is a jewel in the roughhighsteppa is a jewel in the roughhighsteppa is a jewel in the roughhighsteppa is a jewel in the rough
I used to grow greenhouse hydro tomatoes and we used propane forced hot air heaters for both temp temp and humidity control. No dehumidifiers.
highsteppa is offline Quote

Old 02-15-2018, 03:57 AM #32
hamstring

hamstring is just really nicehamstring is just really nicehamstring is just really nicehamstring is just really nicehamstring is just really nicehamstring is just really nicehamstring is just really nicehamstring is just really nicehamstring is just really nicehamstring is just really nicehamstring is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~star~crash~ View Post
i'm in the North East it's winter ...if thats what ur asking
Exactly thanks.
hamstring is offline Quote

Old 02-16-2018, 01:38 PM #33
brolex

brolex will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by highsteppa View Post
I used to grow greenhouse hydro tomatoes and we used propane forced hot air heaters for both temp temp and humidity control. No dehumidifiers.
I agree. Working off of a basic VPD table, I'd use a heater to crank up the heat up to 25c, and have the RH% between 75% and 50% - depending on the growth stage of the plants in the green house.

brolex is offline Quote

Old 02-16-2018, 01:43 PM #34
brolex

brolex will become famous soon enough
[quote=brolex;8201281]I agree. Working off of a basic VPD table, I'd use a heater to crank up the heat up to 25c, and have the RH% between 75% and 50% - depending on the growth stage of the plants in the green house.

brolex is offline Quote

Old 02-16-2018, 07:12 PM #35
redlaser

redlaser has a brilliant futureredlaser has a brilliant futureredlaser has a brilliant futureredlaser has a brilliant futureredlaser has a brilliant futureredlaser has a brilliant futureredlaser has a brilliant futureredlaser has a brilliant futureredlaser has a brilliant futureredlaser has a brilliant futureredlaser has a brilliant future
I have propane heat in my greenhouse. It is about 20% humidity here all summer during the day, spikes higher at night but still stays at 60-70% humidity which is fine.

Problem comes after first rain in the fall, night humidity levels hit 80-90% at night. Propane isn’t enough for me to lower my humidity at that point so I either continually run vents or dehumidify.
redlaser is offline Quote

Old 02-19-2018, 01:26 AM #36
CrushnYuba

CrushnYuba is a jewel in the roughCrushnYuba is a jewel in the roughCrushnYuba is a jewel in the roughCrushnYuba is a jewel in the roughCrushnYuba is a jewel in the roughCrushnYuba is a jewel in the roughCrushnYuba is a jewel in the rough
If you want to check out my greenhouse thread, i explain dehumidifying with heat in detail. I personally use pellet heat but any heat can be used as long as if it's fuel burning, it's vented.
Meaning of you are using propane or NG it is a vented unit. If it's not vented you are just adding more moisture.
Dehumidifiers are hardly ever more effective then heat dehumidification. The only time that heat dehumidification is not an option is when it's hot and humid. And the rise in temperature needed to dehumidify would put you over 90f. In that case you would want to use an ac unit to dehumidify.
That said, if you are relying on electric heat, you might as well use a dehu to create that heat as 1kw of electricity creats 1kw of heat regardless if its a 1kw space heater, 1kw dehu, or 1kw blender or toaster oven.
For every 20 degree rise in temperature humidity is cut in half.
So say it's 80%rh and 60f out. If you bring that air into the greenhouse and heat it to 80f, you now have 40% humidity in your greenhouse.
If you have good horizontal air movement, you shouldn't have problems if rh stays under 70% or so. And you shouldn't have problems if your temps stay below 90f or so.
CrushnYuba is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:12 AM #37
hamstring

hamstring is just really nicehamstring is just really nicehamstring is just really nicehamstring is just really nicehamstring is just really nicehamstring is just really nicehamstring is just really nicehamstring is just really nicehamstring is just really nicehamstring is just really nicehamstring is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlaser View Post
I have propane heat in my greenhouse. It is about 20% humidity here all summer during the day, spikes higher at night but still stays at 60-70% humidity which is fine.

Problem comes after first rain in the fall, night humidity levels hit 80-90% at night. Propane isn’t enough for me to lower my humidity at that point so I either continually run vents or dehumidify.
I am learning so much from this thread. Thanks Redlaser for the info.

What is the size of your greenhouse ?

What heater are you using ?

Do you have an idea of monthly fuel cost?

I am only planing on a summer grow looking for small plant count larger weight/plant.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:14 AM #38
hamstring

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrushnYuba View Post
If you want to check out my greenhouse thread, i explain dehumidifying with heat in detail. I personally use pellet heat but any heat can be used as long as if it's fuel burning, it's vented.
Meaning of you are using propane or NG it is a vented unit. If it's not vented you are just adding more moisture.
Dehumidifiers are hardly ever more effective then heat dehumidification. The only time that heat dehumidification is not an option is when it's hot and humid. And the rise in temperature needed to dehumidify would put you over 90f. In that case you would want to use an ac unit to dehumidify.
That said, if you are relying on electric heat, you might as well use a dehu to create that heat as 1kw of electricity creats 1kw of heat regardless if its a 1kw space heater, 1kw dehu, or 1kw blender or toaster oven.
For every 20 degree rise in temperature humidity is cut in half.
So say it's 80%rh and 60f out. If you bring that air into the greenhouse and heat it to 80f, you now have 40% humidity in your greenhouse.
If you have good horizontal air movement, you shouldn't have problems if rh stays under 70% or so. And you shouldn't have problems if your temps stay below 90f or so.

CrushnYuba
As someone new to the GH forum I have seen your posts a few times now . Can you provide a link to your GH thread?

Old 02-19-2018, 05:15 AM #39
CrushnYuba

CrushnYuba is a jewel in the roughCrushnYuba is a jewel in the roughCrushnYuba is a jewel in the roughCrushnYuba is a jewel in the roughCrushnYuba is a jewel in the roughCrushnYuba is a jewel in the roughCrushnYuba is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamstring View Post
CrushnYuba
As someone new to the GH forum I have seen your posts a few times now . Can you provide a link to your GH thread?

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=339175
Most of the pictures were lost. I need to run around and take replacements.
CrushnYuba is offline Quote

Old 02-20-2018, 11:38 AM #40
914safbmx

914safbmx will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrushnYuba View Post
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=339175
Most of the pictures were lost. I need to run around and take replacements.
reading your thread and your post in this one have been hugely inspirational while i get ready to put up my first greenhouse. here in maine we can have pretty insane humidity. luckily it stays cool enough even through summer that heat is almost always an option. one thing i cant get through my head however is how to pair the heat with intake/exhaust. if you are pulling too much cool and moist air in from outside, wont you defeat all the work the heat is doing for the RH%? I'm guessing its all about using something like half as much CFM coming in as going out? or maybe just run exhaust?
914safbmx is offline Quote