What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

what BANDS have you seen?

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes. But I did 2 hits of purple microdot and only remember not understanding where I was (smile).

Ah,I did some purple microdot in 1979>one hit<,and I can't recollect one of the days,because it lasted two whole days,and it was very strong!Quite enjoyable really.It did take some time to hit me and I thought it was bunk,at first and the dude told me to just give it a little more time,he was right.:jawdrop:

I forgot to ask,where did u see them at?

Micro-Dots Purple and orange was pretty good had a little bit of strychnine though you could feel it in your joints afterwards

star crash

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bowie - Roxy Music - The Manhattan Transfer - Kilburn and the Highroads (Ian Dury) - Blockheads - Kursaal Flyers - Slade - Eddie and the Hot-Rods - Dr Feelgood - The 101'ers - The Sex Pistols - The Damned - The Clash - Chelsea - The Ramones - The Flaming Groovies - The Stranglers - The Adverts - Sham 69 - The Flowers of Romance - Siouxie and the Banshee's - Generation X(with Billy Idol) - Johnny Thunders Heartbreakers - The Buzzcocks - Big Youth - Dennis Brown - Steel Pulse - Aswad - Augustus Pablo - Dave Edmonds - Elvis Costello - The Nipple Erectors - 999 - The Jam - The Tubes - The Dead Kennedy's - The Avengers - The Dils - Black Flag - The Screamers - The Mutants - Crime - Madness - The Pretenders - The Specials - R.E.O. Speedwagon - Ted Nugent - Levi and the Rockats - George Thorogood and the Destroyers - Richard Hell - Tom Verlain + Television - Wayne County - The Off's - The Nun's - The Sleepers - Blondie - The Go-Go's - The Street Punks - Mink DeVille - The Runaways - The Zeros - Pearl Harbour and the Explosions - Tuxedomoon - (so many other bands from The Mabuhay Gardens and The Deaf Club in San Francisco - where I worked at the door on and off for a few years ) - Huey Lewis and the News - Joe Jackson - I'm only up to 1982 and already must have forgot a few - more to come - (some of these bands I saw many times - did a lot of roadie/security work on tour with some of them -) - worked for Bill Graham's Event Security at Monsters of Rock Festivals in the USA -
You were part of the Bill Graham security ?you must be one tough dude:cathug: Only time I ever got kicked out of a concert for recording was by Bill Graham security the Oakland Coliseum in 1992 for grateful dead ...they don’t mess around

imiubu

Yes. But I did 2 hits of purple microdot and only remember not understanding where I was (smile).

I was going to say that I think I've forgotten just as many concerts as I recall due to indulging in various chemicals haha.

My very first concert was opened by a local band that ended up going national and the head liner was Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs.
Just to date myself haha. My girlfriend and I walked for UNISEF to earn those tix.

Let's see (not in order nor complete)...
Rundgren
Winter Brothers
Rick Derringer
Willy Nelson
Steppenwolf
Robert Plant
Metalica
Charlie Daniels
Bob Seger (more than I can count!)
REO Speedwagon (^^)
The Bangles
Ludacris
George Clinton
Heart
Jimmy Cliff
Dweezil Zappa (2x's)
Jonny Lang
Santana
Journey
Pat Benatar
Jackyl
Smokey Robinson
Dave Mason
3 Doors Down
Mitch Rider
Dwight Yokum
Suzy Bogguss
Aerosmith
Ian Anderson
Nugent
Buck Cherry
Papa Roach
Kid Rock
Kenny Wayne Shepherd
Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush
STP
Max Weinberg (excellent)
Seven Dust
Rubicon
The Wailers (no Bob)
Earth, Wind and Fire
hmmm...
Frank Zappa (5x's)

Most envious of those who saw Bowie (esp. the Ziggy Stardust tour) and Bob Marley.

star crash

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Love ...

Love ...

picture.php
picture.php

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
wow! gypsy you have been seriously rocking out. i bet you could write book full of crazy concert stories. i was surprised bob wasnt on the list.

- Owww - I could tell some stories - being front-stage-back-stage-and V.I.P. security over the years - probably enough to fill a book - if I can still mine my memory well -

Gypsy The Ramones! Heck yes! And Huey Lewis! Was just talking to someone a few days ago here about Hewey Lewis.
1g12 Steely Dan! Led Zeppelin! Saw Plant n Page in 1995. Rock on!

- Ya - The Ramones I first saw at The Chalk Farm Roundhouse in London - 1976 - with The Stranglers - and The Flam'in Groovies -

- Jeez that was a hot-hot summer - with sweat dripping from the rafters - the place was packed - and no aircon - but great gig -

Similar tastes! Great!!Nice list you've got there!

And Gypsy- great bands and experriences in San Fran, too, I'm certain!

Rock on, folks! Rock on! (and jazz it up, blues style, my faves!)

- Yup - I had come from the London music scene - straight into the Californian music scene - after a brief stop in Idaho - and the first job I managed to get was at the door of The Mabuhay Gardens - on Broadway S.F. - around the spring of 1978 -

You were part of the Bill Graham security ?you must be one tough dude:cathug: Only time I ever got kicked out of a concert for recording was by Bill Graham security the Oakland Coliseum in 1992 for grateful dead ...they don’t mess around

- Most of my work was pulling teenage girls and guys out of the crush at the front of the stage - when I worked Monsters of Rock - kids all freaked out on acid and other things - in some mental crisis or another - and getting them to the paramedics - if needs be -

- a memorable concert was this one with AC/DC - Aerosmith - Ted Nugent - 07/21/79 - Oakland Coliseum Stadium - problem was - is when you are working - you have to watch the crowd - and not the band - lol - and look like you know what you are doing - me being me - I was always seriously stoned - but somehow managed to maintain - at least a semblance of sobriety -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epSe9V5ngeo
AC/DC - Full Concert - 07/21/79 - Oakland Coliseum Stadium

star crash

ICMag Donor
Veteran
- Owww - I could tell some stories - being front-stage-back-stage-and V.I.P. security over the years - probably enough to fill a book - if I can still mine my memory well -

- Ya - The Ramones I first saw at The Chalk Farm Roundhouse in London - 1976 - with The Stranglers - and The Flam'in Groovies -

- Jeez that was a hot-hot summer - with sweat dripping from the rafters - the place was packed - and no aircon - but great gig -

- Yup - I had come from the London music scene - straight into the Californian music scene - after a brief stop in Idaho - and the first job I managed to get was at the door of The Mabuhay Gardens - on Broadway S.F. - around the spring of 1978 -

- Most of my work was pulling teenage girls and guys out of the crush at the front of the stage - when I worked Monsters of Rock - kids all freaked out on acid and other things - in some mental crisis or another - and getting them to the paramedics - if needs be -

- a memorable concert was this one with AC/DC - Aerosmith - Ted Nugent - 07/21/79 - Oakland Coliseum Stadium - problem was - is when you are working - you have to watch the crowd - and not the band - lol - and look like you know what you are doing - me being me - I was always seriously stoned - but somehow managed to maintain - at least a semblance of sobriety -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epSe9V5ngeo
AC/DC - Full Concert - 07/21/79 - Oakland Coliseum Stadium

I actually did feel bad for the security guys whom were directly in front of the stage ... yet had to face the crowd...:dueling::whip:

Bench Warmer

Elton John (1976)
Kiss (1977)
Cheap Trick
Queen 1977 & 1979
Thin Lizzy
Rush
Yes
Black Sabbath (1979)
The Who
Crosby, Stills and Nash
DIO
Gary Numan
The Cars
Alan Parsons Project
Supertramp
Chris Deberg
Bryan Adams
Styx
The Police
Sting
Alice Cooper
Pat Travers
Headpins
Ted Nugent
Skid Row
Andreas Vollenweider
U2
Depeche Mode
Dire Straits
Alan Holdsworth
Lee Scratch Perry
King Crimson
Robert Cray
54/40
The Butthole Surfers
Adrian Belew
Bill Bruford’s Earthworks
The Verve
Santana
James Taylor
The Grateful Dead
Indigo Girls
Chuck Berry
Bruce Hornsby
Eric Clapton
Jane Siberry
Bill Frisell
John Zorn
Laurie Anderson
Tony Williams
Steely Dan
Pat Metheny Group
Chick Corea’s Electrik Band
Billy Joel
ColdPlay
Tiesto
Dead Can Dance
Chantal Kreviazuk
Blue Rodeo
Jack Johnson
Daniel Lanois
Harold Budd
Jan Arden
Dream Theater
Robert Plant (Phil Colins on drums)
Genesis
The Tragically Hip
Peter Gabriel
Paul Simon
Massive Attack
Sigur Ros
... more but memory is fading.

shithawk420

Veteran
Hands down the best was the last black Sabbath reunion at ozzfest I think 2006.saw tits and past around bowls.saw the last Slipknot song,think Slayer,judas priest,but main thing is I saw black Sabbath and Toni iommi.fuck I wish I had a camera

Really jealous of bench warmer above.those are some great groups like dream theater.not mirin the Billy Joel though lol

Bench Warmer

Hands down the best was the last black Sabbath reunion at ozzfest I think 2006.saw tits and past around bowls.saw the last Slipknot song,think Slayer,judas priest,but main thing is I saw black Sabbath and Toni iommi.fuck I wish I had a camera

Really jealous of bench warmer above.those are some great groups like dream theater.not mirin the Billy Joel though lol

Billy Joel was good but definitely was my date’s pick. Dream Theater was amazing but most concerts I saw were good if not great.
Saw Sabbath with Ozzy and with RJ Dio. Dio was musically more impressive tbh. Also saw Dio sing with Richie Blackmore’s Rainbow. Saw Deep Purple too. :headbange

big315smooth

mama tried
Veteran
everything on the jamband circuit form last 20yrs. been missing live music/shows very much cant wait to get back to it

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
oh yeah,i forgot about all the years i was catering concerts...i guess that counts too

fleetwood mac....one thing to say,stevie nicks was an absolute c***...

tina turner...she was a true gem,so nice,invited us to watch from backstage,and hung out with her on the tour bus...hell of a show too...super super nice lady

sting...also super nice,got to watch the show right at the foot of the stage

richard marx....got kicked off the catering because i laughed right in his face at his ridiculous hairdo

van halen...missed most of the show due to the absurd amount of booze we had to stock on the tour bus...like truly absurd as in 4 cases of jack daniels...plus like 12 cases of beer...plus....

a bunch of country acts....they were generally fairly easy,nothing too extreme on the rider,usually fairly polite...

and once again,a bunch i'm forgetting...normally with the concert catering gigs you don't interact with the talent much....and there's a lot to do...3-4 meals for the crew and the band,usually separate. plus dealing with the buses,mostly drinks and snacks,and shit tons of booze for the rock bands...

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
Michael Jackson, TWICE.

And before the obvious jokes start to roll in, I was at least 18 or older at the time :tiphat:

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
I gotta admit, I went to a Michael Jackson concert once, in Dallas in 1984..
It was at the old Texas Stadium in Irving (just outside of Dallas) The one with the big square hole in the roof..

But I have a good excuse! Lol...
A man I knew well, the great friend of my best buddy, had the catering contract for the whole Victory Tour..
(yeah, he made a butt-load of money that year)

My best friend and 4 or 5 other friends of mine from NJ were the chefs, cooks, truck drivers or other catering crew for that tour..

When I showed up at the security gate, there was a parking pass and an all-access backstage pass waiting for me in a big envelope.

I didn't even watch the show.. I just put cotton in my ears and visited with and helped my friends backstage and in the kitchen...

After the show I went to the nice hotel they were all staying in and we had a big party!

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
While we are admitting things, I did see a New Kids on the Block concert. I chaperoned my daughter and a couple of her friends and marveled at my son actually falling asleep while they were playing and the girls were screaming . . .

D. B. Doober

Boston, MA
Veteran
Budgreen you have some awesome stories man! Rock on! Michael Jackson was really cool in the 1980's...I was a huge fan as a kid. Had a Michael Jackson bmx bicycle
Tobedeyermined New Kids on the Block were HUGE! That's cool man! I saw Taylor Swift with my mom in 2018. Personally, I thought it was an amazing show

GanjaMisfit

I have been fortunate enough to see some amazing bands live. I won't type a long list because I could go on and on but I will mention some of the most memorable.

First concert ever was Santana when I was 10 years old. I was lucky to have an older brother that let me tag along.I was fortunate enough to see Sublime and Reverend Horton Heet play at Bumbershoot in Seattle 1995. Also saw Rodgers Waters at the Gorge Amphitheater when his private jet dive bombed theater right before they started their set. I saw many great bands at the first few lalapalooza festivals and I went to many of the early warped tours. One of the best for me was finally being able to see Steele Pulse a couple years ago. Hopefully we can have live music back soon!

star crash

ICMag Donor
Veteran
While we are admitting things, I did see a New Kids on the Block concert. I chaperoned my daughter and a couple of her friends and marveled at my son actually falling asleep while they were playing and the girls were screaming . . .

I saw Cindy Lauper at “the pier” in New York City 1984 she was really good ... the “psychedelic furs” opened up ... they were also really good