What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Healthy, genetically diverse, self-sustaining population.

Billyn

I'm thinking about establish a healthy, genetically diverse, self-sustaining population of some Himalayan wild type cannabis. I tell myself that if ditchweed is already growing freely in our country, it would be good to use it. As I read somewhere, many states like Montana and others have a lot of microenvironments similar to the Hindu Kush Mountains. Lush and fertile river valleys, intense sun and long summer days ... Ditch weed comes mostly from Russian plants grown for fiber and seed.
The Real Seed Company offers for example 'Kurgan' or 'Tatarstan', such plants are extremely weed and I think ditchweed has them as ancestors, they are adapted to short summers and freezing winters, they will not waste time creating trichomes, just bloom quickly and reproduce . But in less extreme conditions it could be something else, an example is 'Siberia' which can face competition from other plants and stay in nature and also create quite good resin. So are 'Kaghan' or 'Mansehra' and others. They have it in their genes, if you want, you can already select relatively high-quality phenotypes from them. It is such a reserve in nature, it maintains many favorable genes for humanity and no one has to worry about it. Modern hybrids are becoming more and more homogeneous and, unfortunately, even in the original areas, they are pushing these wild ancestors.
I tell myself that it would not be bad for these original very adaptable plants with a huge range of genes to be planted in other parts of the world, where they could thrive and where they would create a self-sufficient and independent reserve. If we enriched 'Ditchweed' with the genes of these plants, many of them could be attached to the population and thus preserved. Ditchweed lacks many genes - lost them in adapting to extreme climatic conditions in Russia and elsewhere and then in breeding for fiber production. Wild type plants from the Himalayas could 'replenish' these genes and make ditchweed a more stable and useful plant, as I said, I see it as a healthy reserve for any breeding, despite having low THC production, somewhere in the genotype it will be equally hidden even if it does not manifest itself, and if one needs, one can selectively breed and find it. For some a waste of time, for others a very interesting topic. People who don't appreciate wild cannabis are, in my view, very short-sighted. Ditchweed will remain here with its genetic richness and adaptability for future generations, regardless of the political situation and various human whims.

Billyn

If ditchweed is growing here, why not use it to your advantage? I think that a person can significantly influence a small population. seems to be my new hobby :-D. In the summer I will document our local population of Ditchweed growing along roads and railways and establish the first small field with 'Mansehra' and 'Siberia' from The Real Seed Company which have great potential for further successful reproduction.

Plantguy

I met some people from Siberia some years ago. I asked them what it's like there. They said it's quite similar to PNW. Some parts of Russia aren't as extreme as you might think. Mid-April to May Germination with flowering starting late June gives plenty of time for a big plants. Trichome production on many plants is independent of human interference. It's the breading for more abundant and specific kinds of trichomes which is human dependent. Survival necessities dictate what and how any plant or animal develops. Humans select for human specific characteristics and breed accordingly. Those traits will diminish without selective breeding

Billyn

It can be seen that "Ditchweed" with a little care can be high quality and beneficial even in the temperate zone. I read a thread about Altai sativa landrace. According to the photos, huge plants grow here everywhere, in clearings, on unmaintained land, along roads and rivers, around farmsteads, even on uncut meadows. They seem to be very weedy plants that can compete with nettles and other perennial weeds while the high is "psychedelic trippy".

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hi Billyn[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Your project is a funny and fun one. It's also kind of hilarious. When I had learned about ditchweed, I had the same Idea as you. I should mention I'm not American though so obviously I could never implement that idea. Back then, RSC hadn't released those feral strains yet so my idea was to influence the population using charas HImalayan strains (like Nanda Devi or Kumaoni) to increasingly make dicthweed more psychoactive. As you mention, it is a small well delimited population so it should be feasible especially if for each psycho active plant you had, you also cut off some ditchweed plants (i let you define your own ratio). Do that for several years and you'd probably, make your local population more psychoactive. :grin:[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]As for the origin of ditchweed, it's actually textile (ie European non psychoactive) hemp that escaped from back when there was still a vibrant hemp industry.
[/FONT]

Billyn

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hi Billyn[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Your project is a funny and fun one. It's also kind of hilarious. When I had learned about ditchweed, I had the same Idea as you. I should mention I'm not American though so obviously I could never implement that idea. Back then, RSC hadn't released those feral strains yet so my idea was to influence the population using charas HImalayan strains (like Nanda Devi or Kumaoni) to increasingly make dicthweed more psychoactive. As you mention, it is a small well delimited population so it should be feasible especially if for each psycho active plant you had, you also cut off some ditchweed plants (i let you define your own ratio). Do that for several years and you'd probably, make your local population more psychoactive. :grin:[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]As for the origin of ditchweed, it's actually textile (ie European non psychoactive) hemp that escaped from back when there was still a vibrant hemp industry.
[/FONT]
Hello DownDeepInside, I'm glad I'm not alone, I take it that I won't benefit from it, but it can be a very interesting and rewarding experience, it won't cost me almost anything. It is also another unusual way to help preserve the increasingly rare native types of wild cannabis.
I'm definitely not interested in "just" increasing psychactivity, but rather in increasing the variability of the local population. Even the original non-domesticated populations of the Himalayas have low potency in nature, but it is possible to select highly potent phenotypes from them - they have it in their genes. Ditchweed has a relatively low genetic diversity, its ancestors have already lost this diversity by breeding for fiber production. And I would like to return this diversity to them (at least in my local area).
I believe that a wide range of different terpene profiles could return. They could recover some genes related to potency and various growth traits. I think it will be reflected in the more frequent occurrence of potent phenotypes (those who are not potent could have a greater predisposition to this), which is only good.
It will take some time. the sooner I start, the better. I hope to produce a bag of seeds in the first year and then I would probably try to make a narrow long field along the railway, for example 10 inches and 50 ft... I really like 'Siberian' and I think 'Mansehra' will also leave a significant mark. I will also keep the IBL seeds of these strains and I will supplement them every year.

I really like 'Siberian' and I think 'Mansehra' will also leave a significant mark. I will also keep the IBL seeds of these strains and I will supplement them every year.

I agree these two strains look quite promising. You may also want to consider Nanda Devi as it has definite feral elements in it.

As for the repro aspect, yes totally it's important that you do. It is usually said that to maintain a minimum level of biodiversity, you need 25 plants.

Billyn

Unfortunately, it didn't work out this year : ) I was not very prepared, I was surprised by the low germination and I started too late.
But I have all the strains bought in bulk quantities, I will still try to make some seeds indoor over the winter. The worst will be in the first years to protect the mother field from deer. Ditchweed is all around, and I can see the damage deer can do. Especially when my little field will smell completely different from any other cannabis in the area. Once the plants have been sown a few times and a large patch has been made, (and the seed bank in the soil and the seeds have reached the surroundings) there will be no risk from deer.

I am becoming increasingly aware of how genetically "poor" ditchweed is due to its origin. I expect the occurrence of interesting phenotypes for at least the next 5 - 10 years, and even if they are not so common, it will be possible to breed them back, or they will manifest themselves under changed conditions. When I add North Indian highland strains again at this point, the incidence of "interesting" individuals will be even higher.