What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rheumatoid Arthritis THC, CBD or both?

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I'm hoping you are getting guidance from a rheumatologist or primary care regarding recent diagnosis. If you have insurance, perhaps seek out a "Functional Medicine" practitioner, MD, D.O., or D.O.M. They can devise an individual plan that helps you holistically, whole body . Diet, supplements are just a part of it, as autoimmune response erodes, thus supplements to restore.
I'm seeing a rheumatologist again next month. I have lots to discuss. I live in a country with a good public health system so insurance and medicine will not be a problem. I have found a few functional medical practices in my city but will wait until I have seen the rheumatologist first. I do need some good advice around this as I also have other medical conditions that I am presently treating with diet. Problem is that foods that help with other conditions, may not be good for the RA. Meanwhile i will experiment with diet a bit and see how I feel.

sbeanonnamellow, I do have one variety which supposedly has around 2% CBG. I will do a bit of reading up about it.

sbeanonnamellow

The following is from Cannabis sativa L. - Botany and Biotechnology by Chandra, Lata, and ElSohly. There are a few typos due to a limited keyboard function but I did my best to accurately portray what was written in the book. I have no idea what the fuck it means though but hopefully it will be helpful for your endeavors. Searching CBG Cascio in the Google brought up a bunch of results, so did CBG Cascio arthritis. Hope you feel better bro. Much love

Cannabigerol (CBG) is a little investigated phytocannabinoid which, like CBD, does not induce cannabis-like psychoactive effects. Recently, our group carried out an in vitro pharmacological investigation of CBG (Cascio et al. 2010) and found that this phytocannabinoid can displace [3H]CP55940 from specific binding sites on mouse brain and membranes with a Ki value of 381 nM, and that it exhibits significant potency both as a stimulator of [35S]GTPyS binding to mouse brain membranes and as an inhibitor of electrically-evoked contractions of the mouse isolated vas deferens (Cascio et al. 2010) Neither of these effects appeared to be mediated by cannabinoid CB1 receptors since they were not attenuated by the CB1-selective antagonist, rimonabant (100nM), but were reduced by the selective adrenoceptor antagonist, yohimbine, suggesting that both the stimulatory effect of CBG on [35S]GTPyS binding to mouse brain membranes and its inhibitory effect on electrically-evoked contractions of the vas deferens were mediated by adrenoceptors remains to be established. In addition, other results obtained from in vitro experiments indicate that CBG can (a) antagonize (at 1 uM) the 5-HT1A receptor agonist, 8-OH-DPAT (apparent KB = 51.9 nM) (Cascio et al. 2010) (b) behave (at 10uM) as a CB1 receptor competitive antagonist (Cascio et al. 2010); (c) antagonize TRPM8 cation channels (IC50 = 160 nM) (De Petrocellis et al. 2011) and (d) activate TRPA1 cation channels (EC50 = 700 Nm) (De Petrocellis et al. 2011)

Chi13

ICMag Donor
So I finally saw my rheumatologist but it was pretty frustrating. I still have no formal diagnosis. My scans revealed inflamation in the hands but blood tests still have come back negative for RA. My GP said she was sure it was RA, but the rheumatologists was less certain. A report was inconclusive but mentioned possible seronegative RA and also seronegative spondyloarthritis, but also possible degenerative trauma. I presume they mean osteoarthritis?

The rheumatologist told me my diet was likely the best for RA, but to be honest he didn't seem really interested in diet, or to really know much about it. I was prescribed hydroxychloroquine (the same thing Trump was spruiking earlier this year for covid). As much as I hate taking pharma drugs my symptoms are worsening, so I have begun to take them. I'm at the stage where it is hard to open jars, turn off taps, get up off the couch, so it is pretty debilitating.

If you ever want to go mad, research diet in general, or diet for RA. There are many conflicting anecdotes and articles. Most scientific studies recommend the diet I am on, which is vegan. However, there are plenty of sites that advocate the opposite diet, keto. There is also the low FODMAP diet, which is something else again. Basically I plan to eliminate things that are most likely first and see how I go. I am not prepared yet to try keto as all my blood test markers point to a plant based diet being a benefit to me in regards to other health conditions I have. The AIP seems also logical, but again involves eating meat to start. I'd hate to cure one thing, only to worsen another. I have to stress though, that i have no symptoms that suggest food is a problem, such as bloating, upset stomach, bowel issues or anything else. I did when I was eating a less healthy diet though.

So far I have eliminated nightshade vegetables for the last couple of weeks. To be honest my pain is probably worse at this stage. I am on my second day of no gluten which i plan to keep up for several months. Next stop is FODMAP diet, and lastly keto if all else fails. What puts me off keto is obviously eating meat. Most literature points to particularly red meat as inflamatory. Some literature suggests legumes to be a potential problem, although the more I read about this the less convinced I am. Other studies suggest legumes to be beneficial. I have also looked into functional medicine. I certainly like the concept of a holistic approach but I haven't as yet enquired. It's basis seems to be paleo, or perhaps I am misreading this?

On the cannabis question, I am gravitating to the only variety I have that has CBG in it. I have too much pot in the house to risk growing anything else at this stage but next grow will be a higher CBD variety. Also CBD may be available as a medicine soon in my country. I plan to make a cannabis topical and see how that goes. Fingers crossed (although that would be painful for me).

I am exercising as much as i can, particularly walking and bike riding. In the early morning I cannot even make a fist, but as the day progresses I can straighten and close my fingers ok, albeit painfully. I am also doing extra tai-chi which is something I have practiced for 20 years, and meditating as ways to control pain. I can no longer do push ups but have worked out a few arm exercises I can do with limited pain.

Any suggestions, links, or experiences would be appreciated.

Last edited:

JoanJhoness

Hey, I think you made a mistake while mixing those products, I can't give you an advice, because I used those only separately, and in my opinion, thier is better while using separately. I use CBD since 2018, because I had some insomnia problems, and CBD products are known to help our body with melatonin secretion, Happily I don't have insomnia now, but I can still use CBD sometimes just for fun. Unfortunately, there are states that still don't recognize such products as legal and I had to learn how to travel with them, and how to not get caught.

Nannymouse

420giveaway
I was diagnosed as having fibromyalgia, many years ago. These symptoms also maybe are caused by multiple metal poisoning, which i had a 10 week long treatment to remove some of it. I feel better after that, even though damage has been done that cannot be undone. Regular docs will rarely even think of this, in my experience. It was finally a naturopath that had me get tested and omg, it wasn't just ONE metal, it was dozens. Everyone that looks at the test results asks me if i've been eating car batteries. Grew up with coal heat, untested water wells, etc, so who knows. Anyway, it is something to consider. Mayo suggested that if a person has gotten metal poisoned, to inform siblings, and my sis that has M.S. was the only one that got any tests, and she was just tested for lead, which she was positive results on that.

Just sayin