What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Magic Mushroom Grow Kit?

shithawk420

Veteran
Cool.i was thinking on making the exact thread.but I'm a little confused.i don't know the names of these spores.thevlastbthing I'd want is a bad trip cause I bought something I didn't know what it was.i thought Salvia was no big deal until I tried it and it scared the shit out of me.

BudToaster

Veteran
thanks for the reference about midwestgrowkits!!! have started a study of mycology - just to look at the spores with a microscope, of course. lol.

good Tim Ferris interviews on YouTube with Michael Pollen and another with Paul Stamets, both in 2018.

buying spores in 10cc syringe (uh, i mean "t-shirts") felt kind of sketchy, but showed up and appear to be potent. rye berry jars and manure substrate from Prime. looking to "study" Golden Teacher, B+, Z, and Blue Meanie stains (sounds like the random names of herb at the local dispensary).

so far no contamination, which appears to be the biggest concern until the mycelium is developed and can resist it. i don't know about the Uncle Ben's rice ... how do you sterilize it?

a new adventure in my early 70s.

D. B. Doober

Boston, MA
Veteran
420giveaway
Way to go Budtoaster! Wait until you see how easy it is! You have mycelium yet? Usually a week or few days. The B+ will be good, man! The other strains will be good too. Good luck man! :)

EsterEssence

Veteran
Don’t buy the uv lights from midwest. You sterilize in a pressure cooker. You have a lot of reading to do BudToaster...

BudToaster

Veteran
You have mycelium yet? Usually a week or few days. The B+ will be good, man! The other strains will be good too. Good luck man! :)

Blue Meanie was the fastest to colonize the Qt jar - took 32 days until going into bulk substrate. after 7 days in the substrate the mycelium is covering the 20"x10" tray. probably needs another week to fully colonize.

BudToaster

Veteran
Don’t buy the uv lights from midwest. You sterilize in a pressure cooker. You have a lot of reading to do BudToaster...

Thanks for the advice about the uv lights ... i bought the little LED light for fruiting - is that okay?

no pressure cooker here - easier and safer for me to buy the pre-sterilized grain jars and bulk substrate (manure) ... at least so far.

i am fairly ignorant about shrooms - definitely hitting the books. one more project in a sea of projects.

EsterEssence

Veteran
That light should be ok. It’s fun to make a lab with a flow hood and to do agar work, and learn how to sterilize jars and equipment, and learn how to pasteurize substrate. A lot use coco coir and vermiculite. The shoomery will keep you busy for a while, a lot of great info over there...

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Mycotopia is pretty good as well.

If you were to try the Uncle Ben route, my advice is to use a blob of silicone to inject through and then (sterile in a glove box) cut the corner(s?) and cover with micropore tape so your mycelium may breathe.

BudToaster

Veteran
yes, thank-you, i have links for shroomery and mycotopia.

i'm thinking this will be a one-and-done project. i go with redundancy in case (when) i fuck something up - just saves a little time to be able to keep rolling - so 4 jars/strains to see what can happen.

my first attempt at something - before i know enough to be my judgmental self and second guess everything - usually goes adequately. then it takes me years of study to improve ... running out of time for that.

BudToaster

Veteran
thank-you, doing okay so far - i credit my 38 yrs of NordicTrack aerobics.

as a note on procedure ...

(1) shot the whole 10cc syringe into each quart jar of rye berries ... this may be why the jars colonized so fast (30 days)? placed in box @ 75°F

(2) it took about 6 lbs of bulk substrate to fill the 20"x10"x2" tray ... used two 1# manure bags and most of the 5# bag that came with the dome mushroom grow kit.

(3) mixed in the jar contents and then covered with thin layer of substrate.

(4) dome chamber is under a cardboard hood (ie in the dark), with a humidifier blowing (through HEPA fiber) into the chamber for 30 minutes every 8 hours.

(5) temp maintaining 75°F

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
wow! the entire syringe into each jar?

completely not necessary, but heh, it's your dime. next time try less, see if that differs much.
other than that it looks like you've got this covered.
best

Hold Your Fire

Finding my way back home
Veteran
thank-you, doing okay so far - i credit my 38 yrs of NordicTrack aerobics.

as a note on procedure ...

(1) shot the whole 10cc syringe into each quart jar of rye berries ... this may be why the jars colonized so fast (30 days)? placed in box @ 75°F

(2) it took about 6 lbs of bulk substrate to fill the 20"x10"x2" tray ... used two 1# manure bags and most of the 5# bag that came with the dome mushroom grow kit.

(3) mixed in the jar contents and then covered with thin layer of substrate.

(4) dome chamber is under a cardboard hood (ie in the dark), with a humidifier blowing (through HEPA fiber) into the chamber for 30 minutes every 8 hours.

(5) temp maintaining 75°F

No guarantee those syringes are clean.
That's why it's important to learn agar.
Clean it up before you potentially waste rye berries, substrate and time.
:2cents:

Good Luck

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
As long as your substrate is dry enough to soak up that moisture your colonization is exponential.

Liquid culture is entirely more economical, yet variability within the culture is less desirable than a well cloned subculture.

That's where agar and a flowhood own you for a couple months.

Then again multispore liquid culture into bulk into monotubs is quite effective for the timeline.

Just like grass, there's a hundred ways to thump a tub.

BudToaster

Veteran
so, having 3 fully spawned Qt jars was freaking me out (i don't want them to go to waste) so i got a second monotub + 6# manure + hygrometer + hydrator. Loaded it with the B+ today. the other two jars are in the fridge (GT and Z) - they will just have to wait their turn.

the first tub seems to have stalled the last three days and i wondered if 75F (maybe 72F at night) was borderline too chill ... then it dawned on me that the plastic substrate tray is sitting on the top of a metal filing cabinet - i.e. heat sink. so today i made an insulation pad with two layers of cardboard and a piece of foam board that was leftover from another project.

or it could be the substrate is too wet? - the hydrator is very effective ... going to keep it off until the wet inside of the cover is less wet.

G

No guarantee those syringes are clean.
That's why it's important to learn agar.
Clean it up before you potentially waste rye berries, substrate and time.
:2cents:

Good Luck

always heated mine with a lighter at the tip of the needle, and even then, know for a fact that at least once I got a contaminated syringe that went bad in growing mycelium.

Fortunately my source honored the experience with another free syringe coupon they are fairly notorious for handing out.

G

so, having 3 fully spawned Qt jars was freaking me out (i don't want them to go to waste) so i got a second monotub + 6# manure + hygrometer + hydrator. Loaded it with the B+ today. the other two jars are in the fridge (GT and Z) - they will just have to wait their turn.

the first tub seems to have stalled the last three days and i wondered if 75F (maybe 72F at night) was borderline too chill ... then it dawned on me that the plastic substrate tray is sitting on the top of a metal filing cabinet - i.e. heat sink. so today i made an insulation pad with two layers of cardboard and a piece of foam board that was leftover from another project.

or it could be the substrate is too wet? - the hydrator is very effective ... going to keep it off until the wet inside of the cover is less wet.

Too wet or too dry in your medium will kill, mold, or change productivity of your shrooms.

I've typically spread a syringe between 10-12 half-pint jelly jars, and done fine that way.

Only reason I've seen for doing larger jars in my 'shroom terrarium has been increased growing surface in the substrate, as there's only so much space for the jars' foot-prints, but by going a bit bigger, the area of the sides of the 'cakes' is increased.

Like with a house building project, vertical sq. ft. are cheaper than horizontal sq. ft. nearly every time. :tiphat:

BudToaster

Veteran
thank-you for your experience ... this is all new for me - thought it was about time to try it. i'm amazed how far i have come in 6 weeks from zero. could be an interesting Festivus this year ... i do love the internet for the learning opportunities - i could not have imagined this internet back in 1969 when ARPAnet was turned on - just a handful of connections back then ... back when "hackers" were programming gods, not the low life scum of today.