What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Full Spec vs White, UV/IR vs no UV/IR

I've played with LED a little, but not in a serious way. Researching, everyone says their approach is the best. To keep a long thread short, what are everyone's opinions on full spectrum vs white, and UV/IR vs no UV/IR?

The light/lights will be over a 3.5 x 3.5 area with limited vertical space. I currently run a 600 with plants in the 3' range.

Thanks for your time everyone. much appreciated...

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes to UV (purported to be useful for trichome production)

NO to IR (IR is heat... Far red, however, is useful in the evening to help a plant prepare for the night cycle)

I prefer a white spectrum overall because identifying issues can be difficult under the lighting of Pluto.

Thanks MJ. I think I've narrowed it down to either the timber or the hlg, so looks like white light, no UV or IR. Now to decide...

Koondense

Veteran
Both Timber and HLG make great lights, so any choice you make will be a good one.

Cheers

Thanks Koondense. The 550 V2 is a little more light than I need, but it can be dialed back. The 4vs is the perfect size. Combined with the fact it's over $350 less, I think I've made my decision.