What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Occasional cannabis may boost men's fertility, new study suggests

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Smoking cannabis occasionally may improve men’s fertility by stimulating sperm production, a study by Harvard University suggests.

Analysis of more than 662 men found that those who had never taken the drug were more than twice as likely to have sperm concentrations below a “normal” threshold.

Published in the journal Human Reproduction, the results have taken the scientific community by surprise because previous research pointed to a negative effect for cannabis on fertility.

Cannabis - Marijuana oil extracts in jars and leaves for treatment.
However, the scientists pointed out that most studies have hitherto focused on heavy drug users or animals.

They believe improved fertility in moderate users may be explained by a boost to the endocannabinoid system, known to play a role in sperm levels, from smoking cannabis.

Dr Jorge Chavarro, from the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, said: "These unexpected findings highlight how little we know about the reproductive health effects of marijuana, and in fact of the health effects of marijuana in general.

Dry and trimmed cannabis buds, stored in a glass jars. Medical cannabis

"Our results need to be interpreted with caution and they highlight the need to further study the health effects of marijuana use."
or the new study, investigators collected 1,143 semen samples from 662 men between 2000 and 2017.
On average the men were 36 years old, mostly white and college educated.

All of them belonged to couples seeking help with conception from a fertility clinic.
More than half - 55 per cent - of the men reported having smoked cannabis at some point.

Of those, 44 per cent said they had taken the drug in the past, and 11 per cent classified themselves as current users.

Analysis of the semen samples showed that men who had smoked marijuana had average sperm concentrations of 62.7 million sperm per millilitre (million/mL).

Those who had never smoked a joint had an average count of 45.4 million/mL.

Only 5 per cent of cannabis users had sperm counts below 15 million/mL, the World Health Organisation's threshold for "normal" levels, compared with 12 per cent of men who had never smoked cannabis.

The authors cautioned that their study does not prove cannabis improves fertility.
They said it was possible that men with more testosterone and better fertility are more likely to try drugs.

* Never seemed to be any problem with me - I've got 7 kids - lol

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/mi...new-study-suggests/ar-BBTdP0v?ocid=spartanntp

TANO

🍒
Veteran
420giveaway
Sorry Gipsy for the joke...

Sorry Gipsy for the joke...

sperm-weed.jpg

luposolitario

420giveaway
also i by time think that whi have fell more substance .. activity, some have helped the extreme case also me.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
I'm not sure about the fertility part of it, but I know I always get hornier when I toke...

PDX Dopesmoker

Oh wow, the doctor was from Harvard, well that settles it, hes absolutely 100% correct.

https://www.learner.org/vod/vod_window.html?pid=9
A majority of people surveyed in several countries know that the Earth rotates around the Sun, but it seems likely that those who understand the role of Earth’s tilt in producing the seasons are a more elite group.
Confusion about seasonality became a focus of science educators thanks to a powerful documentary called “A Private Universe”, produced by the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics in 1987. In the opening clip of the documentary, several freshly minted Harvard graduates were quizzed on commencement day about what caused the seasons—and the results were eye-opening. Only 2 of the 23 randomly interviewed Harvard grads gave a complete and correct answer although all of them assumed that they knew or could reason it out swiftly. These people who graduated from Harvard in 1987 are now in their 50s and they're in the halls of government and corporate power and they're just as certain of themselves now as they were then and they're just as intelligent, competent and well educated too.
“A Private Universe” not only prompted a rethinking of how seasonality was taught, but it also led to a more general look at how misunderstandings can persist throughout one’s education, as students fit new knowledge into flawed mental models. Science educators looked back on the film and shared its impact on them in a 2007 conference session, part of a set of videos available online from Annenberg Learner on the project’s legacy—including the original “A Private Universe”. You can’t help but feel for the (happily anonymous) students whose misconceptions have been preserved on video for decades, but at least their struggles helped to improve science education for millions of students who followed them.

Andyo

Veteran
sativa gives me a hard on

sativa gives me a hard on

Definatley enhances my erections.
but it enhances my defiance of goverment
enhances my thinking
enhances my creativity.

therevverend

Veteran
I like how they have to grudgingly admit it. 'Occasionally....'

If it was a negative article it would say 'SCIENTISTS PROVE BEYOND DOUBT THAT CANNABIS CAUSES INFERTILITY IN MEN!'