What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MIGRO 600 - Unboxing, Setup, Impressions

RB56

Veteran
I've been using an Advanced LED Diamond Series XML 650 in the flower room of my small friends and family grow. Put out a tremendous amount of light, but very hot in the center and weak at the edges of my 4'x4' scrog. Really awesome on the third of the table that isn't center or edge. It's really easy to see the problem once you have the light in operation. Too small. Light sources that close together reinforce from the center out and don't have much when you get beyond the 2' square box. Plan was to find a better LED solution for flower, run the Advanced up high, at half power, for veg and send the previous veg T5s into retirement.

In the thread LED Retailers, I saw:
Not a good choice in my opinion,
check out the Migro 100w.

Cheers
Never heard of MIGRO, but looked them up and was intrigued. Really key term is "luminaire": a complete electric light unit. In this case, comprised of:

• LED components: Luminus LED’s (U.S.)
  • Optics: 90 Degree Diffused Borosilicate glass lens
  • Cooling: Passive (no fans)
  • Lamp dimensions: W 200mm x H 170mm x D 160mm
The unit mounts at a single point so can be rotated 360º at its base and can be rotated 180º horizontally. That's a serious game changer. Being able to aim luminaires individually should make it easier to cover a canopy evenly.

The MIGRO 100w is the luminaire around which the system is built. Super small space, buy one. Larger space, buy more. 1 driver to two luminaires. MIGRO sells frames for hanging 4 or 6 luminaires. The 600 is 6 luminaires, a frame, 3 drivers and cables to connect everything. There's lots of flexibility in the way this system is designed.

I was interested enough to give it a shot. Then I noticed they were in Dublin. I'm in the US. This really turned out to be no issue at all. Shipping was $117 and duties/taxes were another $37. UPS to my door. I had a few pre-sale questions (email). Shane answered them promptly.

Two in a box, frame assembled, luminaires mounted, test fire!

RB56

Veteran
This didn't thrill me. Sent a question to Shane. Received this:
Hi Don, glad everything arrived safely. The earth connection is not critical with the LED drivers. The drivers have over current and over voltage protection on the input lines and the circuit is fully protected. It's a good question though as if it was a simple device i.e. a heater or similar, it would be worrying to have no earth on the line for protection. There's no issue with that arrangement being visible.
I'm out of my league on this. Sounds good. I'm sure others will object, if that's the right reaction.

12 inches from wall, at least 18 inches of good looking light. For this picture I just loosened 2 knob nuts and rotated the fixture at the wall.

That's about it. The heat sinks are substantial. Neither they nor the drivers have gotten more than warm to the touch, at full power.

Plants seem to like the light but it's too early to say more than that. I'm doing a pheno hunt so not a normal cycle.

Also really liking the Advanced at half power in the veg room. Plants LOVE it and it's nice to have more clearance above the plants than I had with the T5s.

Very pleased so far.

RB56

Veteran
Interesting design. Price?
All of that information is on their Web site. I don't have any relationship, other than vendor/customer with this company. I paid full price and ordered from the Web site.

Looks ok but for the lifetime the manufacturer does not list any information about lumen mainentenance
I don't know exactly what this means. When I decided to move to LED I didn't want to follow my usual course of Study, study, study, DIY. In any case, I'll be thrilled if these systems last 5 years. MIGRO has a 3 year warranty so I'm OK with that 3-5 year window.

RB56

Veteran
Looks ok but for the lifetime the manufacturer does not list any information about lumen mainentenance
Shane from MIGRO saw this and e-mailed:

Shane from MIGRO said:
A note on the comment on lifetime in the post: The 50,000 hours lifetime (about 8,5 years at 16 hours per day) is to retain at least 80% of original output. The decline is linear so it's just over 2% per year. There is always a small chance of any electronics failing over time, the biggest issue being heat. You can tell that the equipment is not over stressed and runs cool so 50,000 hours is the minimum lifetime you should get. However, if a component should fail you do not lose all your lights, just the element effected. This can be repaired or replaced easily (the LED or the driver).
Hope that helps. The modular nature of the system was a big selling point for me. I suspect this information will show up on their Web site soon. My impression so far is that they have no problem sharing everything they know and are proud of their product.

EvergreenState

I went to the Web site and the 600 is $1230, plus the shipping and duty charges it will be $1400 total to the usa; maybe a little more or less depending on your location. The 400 is $849, The 200 is $470 and the 100 is $240; all plus shipping and duty charges.
A little pricey but they do appear to be high quality. If you really need less heat, less power consumption and a more evenly illuminated canopy, all good things in my opinion, then these look promising.

iBogart

Veteran
Nice lights. A bit too pricey though. DIY woulda saved you hundreds. Or even this...

Redwood_TimberGrowLights_600_Watt_Vero29_4x4_Fixture__03296.1504914147.jpg

http://timbergrowlights.com/redwood-vs-4x4/

RB56

Veteran
Nice light RB56,
I hope you'll be happy with it. Should be a good choice IMO.

Cheers

Know it wasn't intended for me, but very much appreciate the indirect reference. Took me from never hearing of the company to having a solution that works for me.

Nice lights. A bit too pricey though. DIY woulda saved you hundreds. Or even this...

View Image

https://timbergrowlights.com/redwood-vs-4x4/
No doubt. I've always been a big DIY person - and still am. At this point in my life, unless I am deeply interested in understanding a technology for its own sake, I do a cost benefit analysis. Money saved divided by hours required to develop sufficient expertise. It'd be a miracle to "earn" $10/hour DIYing this and there are many things I'd rather do with the time.

I don't think the timbergrowlights unit solves the problem of the LEDs being locked into a common plane, which I consider a big deal. "I'd like to toss a little more light into this corner" is now doable.

Last edited:

panckage

Shane from MIGRO saw this and e-mailed:

Hope that helps. The modular nature of the system was a big selling point for me. I suspect this information will show up on their Web site soon. My impression so far is that they have no problem sharing everything they know and are proud of their product.
Thanks RB56 that's helpful. I really wish vendors would post this in their specs online!

indabonga

Cannabis ****
Veteran
I'm very happy for my migro 100... Solid and professional product.. Next year I think to change my gavita's..

RB56

Veteran
Was just checking out this light. Curious as to how it will work for you.
Very happy so far. Plants are looking happy. Even illumination. No burning. No mechanical or electronic problems. Very much agree with indabonga: "solid and professional product".

I really appreciate the thinking that went into these lights. Not just having each a separate, aimable unit, but the details as well. All of the movable mounting points are connected with hand tightened set screws. Work perfectly well. My first thought was that it would have been nice to have geared adjustments for precision. After a second I realized how much that would add to the cost, without adding any actual functionality. Each aspect of this system seems to have been designed that way. Wouldn't surprise me if they had a prototype with geared adjustments in a closet :)

RoostaPhish

Veteran
Quick response, thank you! My main reason for changing to LED is due to amperage limits at my new place. Seems to be a lot of choices these days. And the cobs have been getting the best reviews so far. Ive always ran horti blues, and am a big fan of "white light" technology.

RB56

Veteran
Quick response, thank you! My main reason for changing to LED is due to amperage limits at my new place. Seems to be a lot of choices these days. And the cobs have been getting the best reviews so far. Ive always ran horti blues, and am a big fan of "white light" technology.
Best thing I can say is I haven't regretted the purchase for a second. Targeted at the small grower, like me. 5'x5' and under and they have a solution.

RB56

Veteran
See that it's been more than a year since I posted this and therefore, got these lights. That speaks to how flawlessly they have been operating. No issues at all.

Beyond that, I love these lights. I'm doing scrogs, using 54" square screens. Lights are perfect for that.

This is 4 weeks after 12/12, Mandala Satori, 4 plants. Without screens, they grow into the ceiling. 6 weeks to go.