What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Outdoor Cheap Alternative Soil Mixes

ComplynPoof

Hi, I'm in Bay Area and have access to lots of Landscaping Supply Houses. From Topsoils/Planting Mixes/Composts/Ammendments. I'm really just having a hard time picking a mix. Any advice would be much appreciated. I was thinking about going coco but when you're talking YARDS of soil base, I'm not sure it would be cost effective for me. I'm using 65 gallon smart pots.

staank

I would inspect anything like that in person.

I ordered some "planters mix" for my outdoor garden from a local landscape supply place that came highly recommended. It had bits of plastic bag in it, glass, other bits of hard plastic, etc.. and the worst part was it was very clay like, soil hardened up like a brick - water would not penetrate.

C

ct guy2

Don't go cheap on your soil mix. You'll be fighting it the entire time. Spend your money on your soil, it's the best investment you can make. Maybe see what they have at Lyngso Garden/Rock Supply in your area.

s13sr20det

admit nothing, deny everything, and demand proof.
Veteran
better to put a .50 plant in a $2 hole, than a $2 plant in a .50 hole. :2cents:

:joint:

ComplynPoof

Thanks everyone for the help, especially thanks for the recommendation of Lyngso Garden Material, they have one near me in Redwood City and I'm impressed by their pledge to quality and organic standard. Now for the soil mix :D I got my base :D

OrganicBuds

Veteran
I have used Lyngso in Redwood many times. I can tell you that there soil mixes are just ok. If you ask them they have soil analysis done on their Nursery Mix and the other engineered mix. (can't remember the name)

Last year I drove 6 hours round trip up to chico, to the Earth Worm Soil Farm. Worth every penny, and every minute of driving. Good luck this season.

ComplynPoof

Hmm, I'm looking at 2 locations that are the same distances. I have Lyngso in Redwood or American Soil in Richmond. Both catch my eye in soil/compost.