What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Monsanto Cannabis?

OrganicBuds

Veteran
http://www.exposingthetruth.co/gm-cannabis-monsanto-weed/#axzz2uCedYu7j

Catch 22 in Cannabis Legalisation? Monsanto Weed?
posted by Michael Thomas January 2, 2014
As the consumption of cannabis, also known as marijuana, finally returns to its historical state of being legal, in Uruguay and across the world, a previously unseen problem shows its head: namely that of genetically modified cannabis.

weed

The main reason cannabis legalization has been so difficult within the last 100 years (since it became illegal), is because the bare necessities for its creation don’t amount to much, and a reasonably high yield can even be achieved with low skill, and little material investment; there is reason it is also called “weed.” This “inability to monopolize” was ironically probably one of the major reasons companies and politicians sought (and to some extent still seek) to keep it forbidden: guaranteeing increased profits and demand for the cotton, lumber, petroleum, pharmaceutical, and many other industries.

Thus the legalization sounds good, and most of us agree that criminalization is essentially unacceptable, but does its legalization open the door for Monsanto Cannabis? The answer is: maybe. It depends on how cannabis is defined in the law; what standards open sale (as opposed to between free individuals) have to meet. Regulation may want to take a form similar to how the Germans have historically regulated their beer: by defining an exclusive set of ingredients. The way to stop the creation and growth of “Monsanto weed” is to strictly define what “weed” is.

Is there proof Monsanto and co are working on such plants? No, although suspicions have been arising in Uruguay about it, and these have been amplified over the internet.

Is it possible or even likely? Yes, especially since Uruguay allows the growth of GM corn (unlike Mexico). It is unclear whether it will be from Monsanto though, as more than half of all existing cannabis patents are owned by Chinese companies.

Although genetic modification is not inherently bad, the genetic variability provided by nature largely guarantees no unexpected shift in the gene pool (since GM relies on the multiplication of genetically identical mutants), and allows the plants to better adapt to their environment in their evolution. Regardless of this, if laws are not put in place defining exactly what cannabis is, what can be put on or in it, then legal cannabis might not end up much safer than its illegal counterpart.

Read more: http://www.exposingthetruth.co/gm-cannabis-monsanto-weed/#ixzz2uG1mK16P
Follow us: @Exposing4Truth on Twitter | ExposingTheTruth on Facebook

Garhart

In all honesty, I have long thought they have had such as this done finished and sitting on the shelf with all it's variants awaiting the right time politically. That is what these corporations do isn't it ? Like giant unstoppable monsters that shall eat until there is nothing left to consume.

I think about Dick Cheney and the Halburten exemption - I can just imagine how Monsanto was awaiting similar had Mitt been able, I bet that it will be a lulu when we get to see it.

Seems to me if this were what it was represented to have been, that we the people should be able to have some sort of say in such.

Last edited:

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
http://www.exposingthetruth.co/gm-cannabis-monsanto-weed/#axzz2uCedYu7j

Catch 22 in Cannabis Legalisation? Monsanto Weed?
posted by Michael Thomas January 2, 2014
As the consumption of cannabis, also known as marijuana, finally returns to its historical state of being legal, in Uruguay and across the world, a previously unseen problem shows its head: namely that of genetically modified cannabis.

weed

The main reason cannabis legalization has been so difficult within the last 100 years (since it became illegal), is because the bare necessities for its creation don’t amount to much, and a reasonably high yield can even be achieved with low skill, and little material investment; there is reason it is also called “weed.” This “inability to monopolize” was ironically probably one of the major reasons companies and politicians sought (and to some extent still seek) to keep it forbidden: guaranteeing increased profits and demand for the cotton, lumber, petroleum, pharmaceutical, and many other industries.

Thus the legalization sounds good, and most of us agree that criminalization is essentially unacceptable, but does its legalization open the door for Monsanto Cannabis? The answer is: maybe. It depends on how cannabis is defined in the law; what standards open sale (as opposed to between free individuals) have to meet. Regulation may want to take a form similar to how the Germans have historically regulated their beer: by defining an exclusive set of ingredients. The way to stop the creation and growth of “Monsanto weed” is to strictly define what “weed” is.

Is there proof Monsanto and co are working on such plants? No, although suspicions have been arising in Uruguay about it, and these have been amplified over the internet.

Is it possible or even likely? Yes, especially since Uruguay allows the growth of GM corn (unlike Mexico). It is unclear whether it will be from Monsanto though, as more than half of all existing cannabis patents are owned by Chinese companies.

Although genetic modification is not inherently bad, the genetic variability provided by nature largely guarantees no unexpected shift in the gene pool (since GM relies on the multiplication of genetically identical mutants), and allows the plants to better adapt to their environment in their evolution. Regardless of this, if laws are not put in place defining exactly what cannabis is, what can be put on or in it, then legal cannabis might not end up much safer than its illegal counterpart.

Read more: http://www.exposingthetruth.co/gm-cannabis-monsanto-weed/#ixzz2uG1mK16P
Follow us: @Exposing4Truth on Twitter | ExposingTheTruth on Facebook

look what they did...inferring cannabis is not safe because it's illegal.
what a slanted piece of yellow journalism.
wake up brothers and sisters.

D. B. Doober

Boston, MA
Veteran
It would be beasters. It would look okay, have okay bag appeal and have an okay stone, but nothing special. Monsanto beasters.

If someone at Monsanto was cool they'd make a crazy strain in their off time and make it like 40% THC and 15% cbd

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
I wood add to that ...

I wood add to that ...

It would be beasters. It would look okay, have okay bag appeal and have an okay stone, but nothing special. Monsanto beasters.

If someone at Monsanto was cool they'd make a crazy strain in their off time and make it like 40% THC and 15% cbd

They should also make it a self seeding female autoflower, just add water :dance013:

Leptosoma

sɔıʇǝuǝ⅁ ʞuoW
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Preserve genetics, make own seeds, inbreed them, cross and share them. Don't let regular lines be rare, it's a future of independent growers and breeders. I really don't like scenario when big corps taking over cannabis and starts to dictate own standards same like they did with pharmaceuticals, less with alcohol or tobacco.

If there is gonna be enough people to say "fuck you, we have our own, better genetics then your modified shit" then pot heads around the globe should be safe.

I wouldn't believe that anyone who makes decisions in monsanto have morality to think first about smokers and then about income, they will try to consolidate cannabis market because it's to big money to ignore.

beauty is in diversity...

peace

Coconutz

Veteran
High THC strains are considered very dangerous like crack cocaine, so I wouldnt expect any extra high thc stuff, just crop resistance, patents and lawsuits

dj.scotfree

Yea, they are pretty scarey entity.. Next thing we'll see is "Round Up Ready Bubba Kush".. not only does their practices ruin genetics it ruins the damn soil.. our poor mother earth.. :(

one love. peace~ djsf

Cannavore

Veteran
Didn't Scott/Moonshine in his big ass thread say that the Monsanto's of the planet were building the largest facilities he had ever seen at that time? Or something to that effect?

Latest posts

Latest posts