What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

curling crunchy leaves

Hello all,

This is my very first grow and I'm having an issue with one of the ladies. Her leaves are totally curling up and feel crunchy to the touch. I bought all of them as clones from a dispensary and I've been vegging them for 3 days now. They're around 6 inches tall. The clones with the problems are cold creek kush. Here are the specs of the setup.

4x4x7 agromax grow tent
600 watt MH on 18/6 light schedule
8-inch 720 cfm activeair inline fan
soil - mix of FF Ocean Forest and FF Happy Frog with probably 20% perlite
no additional nutes yet - I sprayed them with a water bottle when they were still in the cups and then watered with tap water after transplanting them into 2 gallon pots.
used neem oil two nights ago during lights off
temps are anywhere from 65 to 70 degrees F.
Humidity is probably pretty low, but I don't have a meter or anything.

I don't have a pH or ppm meter, thermometer, or humidity meter, but are going to get those soon. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I also have another cold creek kush that is having problems. It's the one that's sagging pretty bad. It's in the same room as the last one. The other strains don't seem to be having a problem.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
my guess, soil is a little too hot for the clones.

My assumption, too....HOT soil. Flushing will work....but a better choice is to mix more perlite, sand into the soil mixture...even a little store bought top soil (can be used later in bedding areas outside. Then gently remove clone and root ball....mix soil together....create a hole large enough to hold root/root ball....and gently pack soil mix around it again. Water with filtered water.

No need to fertilize for a week, maybe more...and use diluted fertilizer if/when you do.

Opposite effect....if you've overwatered....soil is water logged...that can curl up leaves (telling you they are gasping for air!) and create 'crunchy' leaves. Better to water, then allow soil medium to dry out (not completely....just first few inches of soil top) before watering again.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
PS...if using tap water....allow to sit overnight for chlorine to evaporate....

Coconutz

Veteran
Thats neem damage. Those parts wont recover.
Id just go about treating these like any other plants and try not to piss them off by compensating for something that cant be fixed

I sprayed down with the neem oil/ water mix right after lights off and let them stay in the dark for six hours until putting them back under the 600. Also, with the second picture that is a completely different clone of the same strain and it seems to be drooping really bad. Any idea why? All the other plants seem to be pretty healthy. Just the two cold creek kushes that seem to be fucking up...

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
Hello all,

They're around 6 inches tall.

into 2 gallon pots.

there's your problem and your solution. you're overwatering them and drowning the roots which aren't taking in oxygen and in turn aren't able to use all the food. and then you are now experiencing nute burn.

Last night I transplanted them into smaller pots and used an organic starter soil with out nutrients and they're already looking a lot better.

RonSmooth

Veteran
I have never seen soil that would be "too hot" for a rooted clone.

My guess is that you are over-thinking it.

Stop spraying them with water. Also can stop the neem unless you are having a specific problem.

2 gallons of soil is a lot for small cuttings. I like to let them fill smaller containers before up-potting. If you have lots of soil and little roots, you get waterlogged soil which leads to low oxygen conditions and messes up the balance of transpiration and respiration.

Let the pot dry out more before watering. Let the roots at least poke through the bottom drainage holes before up-potting.

And never do anything until you are sure why you are doing it and are confidant that it will solve your problem.

I've heard that you should use neem every three or four days to prevent aphids. Just trying to prevent problems before they start. Let me know if that's wrong.

Don't mean to keep bumping this thread but I think I figured out was wrong. My runoff pH was 7.4 so I went and got some pH down and got the water to 7.0 and watered and they're already looking a lot better. I'm guessing the high pH in the water caused some nutrients to get locked out. The runoff ppm was around 2000. Is that high?

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
that's not what was wrong. i told you what was wrong. you can continue to waterlog those plants or you can let em dry out and spread their roots. 2000ppm is a lot, but runoff test is not accurate you need to slurry.

mix some of your soil with some water and let it sit. after all the dirt settles(30min) to the bottom pour some of the water into another container minus the dirt and test the water.