What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Root development now, for outdoor transplant later?

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Just trying to get some opinions..
I'm an outdoor guy and have grown some beauties in the past. But when starting the girls indoors, under lights, I'm tired of rootbound 1 or 2 gallon containers, with the taproot just going around in circles at the bottom. I'd like to grow some monsters this summer. (1 or 2 lbs. per plant). My question involves indoor container size.. I've been reading about air pruning with smart pots, etc.. When starting seeds indoors under T5's, do you think it is better to start in small containers and transplant to larger ones, and larger again as you wait for the time to put them outside, in the ground? OR, just start the seeds in 3 to 5 gallon containers indoors, right from the start?
My goal is to have the best possible root system in the containers by the time they are about 2 months old, and ready to go outside in mid-April, to the 65 gallon holes...
Any ideas gleaned from your experience are appreciated!

mac777

I think it's better to transplant then you can prune your roots fan them out and add some stimulators like Mycos

OrganicBuds

Veteran
I like to transplant as they need it. I try not to transplant into a pot bigger than 7 gal if your final pot size is 65 gal. It becomes too hard to transplant a 4ft tall plant in a 7gal container, anything bigger and you risk hurting your plant. I would think 2 months veg would be ok in a 7 gal container. Good luck.

BTW - bump those 65 to 100-200 gal and shoot for 5 lbs.

RidgeRebel

I, personally go with the largest pots from the start. for me, transplanting slows growth more than i'd prefer when i'm trying to get a jump start on the garden. not to mention the added work; depending on garden size, it could be A LOT of repotting. and i feel like the smaller the pot the more chances it has to bind up before repotting/it reaches its final destination anyways. I also know people that swear by repotting so i'm not knocking that technic either. But this is just what i've found works best for me. Run a side-by-side, see what you like most?

I try not to transplant into a pot bigger than 7 gal if your final pot size is 65 gal. It becomes too hard to transplant a 4ft tall plant in a 7gal container, anything bigger and you risk hurting your plant. I would think 2 months veg would be ok in a 7 gal container. Good luck.

BTW - bump those 65 to 100-200 gal and shoot for 5 lbs.

:good:

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You can use smaller containers (2 gallon) to start.....about 6 -8 weeks in, replant into your dug holes before the tap root starts curling around at the bottom of container. If they do start to become root bound, gently untangle roots....you can cut some of the secondary roots....be careful not to nick the main tap root.

Knew a major grower in the SW....started plants in 1 gallon pots, used camping butane light in cold frame, (warmth CO2) then planted in May, outdoors. Grew to be GIANTS!

You are using 65 gallon holes (dug), not 65 gallon containers, correct? Those will be $$$, however can be reused numerous years. become

Sounds ambitious!!! Good luck!

Last edited:

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
This will be my first year doing this, dropped the seed early November! She started to root circle in the 1g plastic so I moved her to a tall 3g.... I'm figuring on a 5g up pot before things warm up enough to go outside into a smart pot raised bed.

My biggest concern comes from the hardening off transition. In the past with garden veggie starts they've sunburned very easily even in the shaded areas of my yard.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My biggest concern comes from the hardening off transition. In the past with garden veggie starts they've sunburned very easily even in the shaded areas of my yard.

Do a quick cold frame....PVC and plastic (hoop)....or have plants in partial shade, partial sun....bringing in or covering if night time temps plunge.

OrganicBuds

Veteran

If this is your biggest concern then your going to have a great season.

Day one outside, only one hour of direct light in the A.M.

Day two three hours A.M. direct light

Day three 3 hours of direct light at the most intense part of the day.

The rest of the time just stick them in 100% shade, after three days they should be go to receive a full day of sun. Another technique is to put them out in cloudy weather, but that could trigger flower.

mac777

Canniwhatis I know what you mean but that's normal best way to avoid it is to take them out an hour before dusk then 2 then 3 then 4 but I've always had them recover even when I just throw them out there

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Thanks for the quick replies. I decided this year to start a few, more than a month earlier than I usually do..I soaked these marbles for 24 hours in 76 degree water and put them in the containers on Jan. 24..As you can see, 2 square pots and 2 round, about 6 inches across...From picture #4 you can see that the roots are already trying to creep out of the bottom..My main batch of marbles will be soaking in about 2 weeks from now. I'm guessing by then, these first 4 will be ready for larger containers.
Please wish me luck for some outdoor monsters by October!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 7

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
OK, they're going like gangbusters!
The last pics were taken Feb. 16. These are taken Feb. 22. Just 6 days of using a 4x4 T5 and its almost time to re-pot.
I'll be soaking some more marbles, from a different envelope, a few days from now and hopefully will get some babies that are WAY more Sativa dominant.
As you can see the root system is growing as fast as the tops..
Yeah baby! By the time these go outside in end of April, they should be pretty darn healthy...
I used to just cut off my tops to get 2 main growth shoots, but I want to experiment this year with the "pinch and bend" super-cropping method. Any helpful hints will be appreciated.
When these girls get to their final place in the ground, they will be in 65 to 85 gallon holes of my own homemade soil mixture of 100% natural, native soil, compost, manure and leaf mould.
All replies are welcome.. Thanks...Bud G.

Attachments

• IMG_5502cr.jpg
    IMG_5502cr.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5503cr.jpg
    IMG_5503cr.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5505cr.jpg
    IMG_5505cr.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5511cr.jpg
    IMG_5511cr.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 5

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey BG Sr-

Was out sifting mulch mixing in amendments in soil today. Still waiting, but getting soil ready when it's time.

NICE looking plants! You're going to have Rockefeller Xmas trees by the end of the season!! KUDOS!

I think the low stress/bending will work out fantastically!!

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
On Feb. 26, I repotted the 4 girls..Yes, they are all girls.
I didn't get a root picture when I took them out of the 3 qt. pots, as my hands were kind of full.
All 4 were just begining to become slightly rootbound, with the root system just starting to circle the pots. They went into #3 pots, with an actual size of approx. 2 and a half gallons each. By Mar.1, the roots were already visible at the bottom holes of the pots.
On Mar.2, I began removing the GIANT fan leaves, as I was unable to tuck them down enough to get light to the low branches..The middle finger of at least 2 fans on each girl were more than 2 1/2 inches wide.
The growth of the plant height slowed considerably after doing this, but that was what I wanted, as I still have almost 2 months until they can go outside, and I am using T5's.
I started bending and tying down the low branches on Mar.4, and took these pictures on Mar.5...
I suspect the root system is filling these new pots quickly, judging by the top growth..My light schedule has been 12 1/2 on, with a 1 hour burst of light in the middle of the night cycle.
I am prepared to re-pot 1 more time into 6 gallon burlap bags that I sewed up myself, which will be supported in old fashioned plastic milk crates. I want to keep them relatively short, but bushy and wide, by the time they go in the 75 gallon outdoor holes around May 1... By then, the sun at my lattitude will be a little over 13 hrs. of sunlight a day..
All comments or replies are appreciated.....Bud G.

Attachments

• IMG_5551cr.jpg
    IMG_5551cr.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5546cr.jpg
    IMG_5546cr.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5542cr.jpg
    IMG_5542cr.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 4

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
Just make sure you wait till the longest day of the year to put them out, otherwise you can risk them starting to flower early, since you started them so early on. Or have sup light for them on the OD.

Last year we started them early Feb, and put them out by the end of April and most of the plants started flowering early, which hurt the yield a lot.

Best of luck!

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
It was 72 degrees outside today! On this date, it could easily have been 20 degrees....
I decided to put 2 of the girls in the burlap bags. This will be their last container until they can go in the ground at the end of April or early May...The root growth has been amazing.
They went in the 2 1/2 gallon pots from the 3 quart pots less than 2 weeks ago...
Here's a few pics...They were not rootbound, so I only transplanted 2 of the 4...You can see that the roots have done very well. My plan is that the burlap bags will not only be BIG enough for root growth, but also will air-prune them if the roots really go crazy when they hit the compost and manure in the bags..I guess I'm gonna find out.. This is the first time I've gone to this big a container, before putting them in the ground about May 1...I just was tired of having root-bound plants in all the years past....It's gonna be warm another day or two, and they will stay outside..But the cold will be back, and I'll carry them back inside under the lights.. These bags in the crates are damn heavy, I'll tell you that! Please tell me what you think...

Attachments

• IMG_5555cr.jpg
    IMG_5555cr.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5557cr.jpg
    IMG_5557cr.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 6
  • OrtegaMaleFull 07 21 08
    OrtegaMaleFull 07 21 08
    186.5 KB · Views: 20

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Here's the pics of plant #2...It took just under 5 more gallons of soil mix to fill these bags up around the existing 2 1/2 gallon root-ball.
It was exactly 5 weeks ago today that these girls were 2 inches tall, in a 16 oz. cup, with just the set of round leaves and one set of single serrated leaves...
Do you think I'm gonna get some monster bushes by end of October this year?

Attachments

• IMG_5566cr.jpg
    IMG_5566cr.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5577cr.jpg
    IMG_5577cr.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 6

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
Here's the pics of plant #2...It took just under 5 more gallons of soil mix to fill these bags up around the existing 2 1/2 gallon root-ball.
It was exactly 5 weeks ago today that these girls were 2 inches tall, in a 16 oz. cup, with just the set of round leaves and one set of single serrated leaves...
Do you think I'm gonna get some monster bushes by end of October this year?

If nothing bad happens, yes!

As to your previous post, I think you need wheels.
They are not going to get any lighter, yah? :)

When I first started growing, I tried starting a single plant in a 50 gallon container.
It did not go well.

That's how I learned the value of punctuated pottage.
From the root, it looks like you are doing something right.

Your girls look healthy and eager, this is shaping up to be an epic grow.
Carry on!

Aloha,
Weeze

Latest posts

Latest posts