What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best climate in Norcal or Colorado for outdoor grows

OrganicBuds

Veteran
Hello everybody, the wife and I have had some hard times as of late and I lost my job early last week. We live in the bay area in Cali and the prices of living are out of control. We own our house we live in, but the mortgage payments are very high, and with no job, it looks like I will have to sell and move.

For those that know me from the boards, I have talked a long time about "going pro" as an outdoor grower. However in the past I wasn't willing to go big in a town of 100,000 people, and I wasn't ready to pick up and move. Now that the cards have fallen where they lie, it's time for me to move.

So the question at hand is, where is the best places climate wise to grow in Norther Cali, or maybe Colorado. If I were to move to Colorado I think the growing structure is different there, and outdoor grows may not be the answer, but I would love to know from others living there. As for cali, up North has fairly cheap housing like Chico, Sonora, Calavares (sp) county. Local grow law would be something to consider as well.

I have very little money in my pocket, but my house has gone up in value by several hundred thousand dollars. I am thinking this will find me a good house, but where is the question. Thanks for the help in advance, wish everybody a great upcoming season.

Endur

Veteran
That's Shitty OB......Sorry to hear this...I'm sure you will find a way better place....

I hope you stay in Cali though.....it much better than Colorado.....:)

I think you will LOVE it up here in the Sierras.....
Grow climate is a little better up North Cali....plus the Bay is only 2.5 hours drive.

Check out, Amador, El Dorado, Nevada, Plumas, Placer, Calaveras, Mariposa Counties,... land is reasonably less expensive than the bay.

peace
Endur

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
Just google "2013 USDA plant hardiness zones" map.

Cali has drier, warmer weather but it looks like record drought is going to lay the smack down of Cali this year.

OrganicBuds

Veteran
Endur - I love Cali also, born and raised. Most likely I will stay in Cali, but I am exploring all options. I have looked into a fair amount of those areas you listed, and all are good leads, thank you.

I know the 2013 USDA plant hardiness zones, and I check the farmers almanac. Most of NorCal is all rated the same. I know that some places are too high in altitude, some too close to the coast maybe. I have heard in the past Mendo has fantastic weather, but home prices are high there.

Any additional feedback would be great. Thanks again.

M

mr.shiva

Mendocino co. has quite a few areas with the perfect micro climate for growing. Not too high, out of the fog, not too low in the cold. southern exposure :)

bigshrimp

Veteran
Past the fog line of course, trinity is nice. Just make sure your going to have access to water in the future. Could get very dry out there soon.

The climate is hands down better in cali.

Best of luck with your new beginnings OB!

TheCleanGame

Veteran
Fairplay, in Park County, would require heated greenhouses. At 10,000 feet up, the last freeze can be mid June and the first freeze is generally September I think?

Brutally beautiful up here.

Keep it Clean! :D

Humboldt is spendy but you won't find any place more lenient. A good property can be had with 100 grand down and several hundred owed.

OrganicBuds

Veteran
Humboldt would be great, and I have searched a lot in that area as of late. The cost of housing is just a tad higher than I would like. Keep the idea's coming everybody, anybody have experience with Yuba city? I just checked the normal site and YUBA doesn't seem to allow more than 75 sq ft. That just isn't going to cut it.

E

Eureka Springs Organics

Move to Colorado!!! :)

It's awesome here. Get you a place in the mountains with a big basement, and light that bitch up. Mountain houses can be had for cheap. The 200k range can get you something with a big ass basement, and a bit of property.

In the near future growers will be able to get licensed as a stand alone business. You will not have to be tied to a dispensary at all. You will be able to grow, and wholesale to the dispensaries.

A customer told me that those licenses are going to be available in July, but I have yet to get confirmation on that. Regardless there is a lot of potential in the State of Colorado.

There is also a shortage of good cannabis. Or should I say if you don't grow your own it is next to impossible to find. :)

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
Same... situation in Central WA.... the Yakima valley is the largest agricultural production area in WA state.....
surrounded by apple and pear orchards.... vineyards and green houses.... hop production for beer... and everything in between....
as in cherries, and asparagus @ 1.00 per pound in season straight from the fields.....

where U think all the WA apples come from, and are created....

hooked on new flavors like..... Jazz, Opal, and pinata....

sorry off topic ... love me sum apples.....

just don't overlook WA.... it's not all rain.... my valley get 300+ days of sunshine....w/ zero humidity... and only 8 inches of rain.... w/ mountain feed FREE irrigation everywhere....

OrganicBuds

Veteran
Yortbogey - You have a specific area you could recommend? In a PM if you don't want to post in the thread? I have family in Washington, could be a good option. What are home prices like? Thanks.

ESO - Same questions for you, any town names you could throw out? You talking east or west of the Rockies? I hear the west is beautiful, but the east is more affordable.

E

Eureka Springs Organics

Yortbogey - You have a specific area you could recommend? In a PM if you don't want to post in the thread? I have family in Washington, could be a good option. What are home prices like? Thanks.

ESO - Same questions for you, any town names you could throw out? You talking east or west of the Rockies? I hear the west is beautiful, but the east is more affordable.

There is so much within an hour drive to Denver that I could not even list them all. Get on realtor.com, and start searching for houses. I have not been here long enough to give you a thorough list off the top of my head.

Being from out of State I would stay somewhat close to Denver so that you can always fly out for cheap.

Frontier airlines is based here, so flights to just about anywhere are cheap as hell.

If you decide to come check it out let me know, and I will assist you in any way possible. The cannabis cup happens to be here 4/20. Would be a good time to come visit. :)

theJointedOne

Veteran
yuba city? are you serious?

that place is a shit hole

You have to look in the mountains man, away from the shity, if you are going to 'go pro' as you say

bigshrimp

Veteran
If you want to run greenhouses, you may be able to find a steal on some land. Or are you looking to run primarily straight outdoor?

anonymousgrow

I love trinity. But I'd move to so hum. Once regulation happens and the greedy douchbags leave and the housing market evens out I will buy in those hills... Sorry bout the jobless but it sounds like you already found the silver lining. I dunno how I could help ya out but Feel free to pm me if you need anything.

OrganicBuds

Veteran
There is so much within an hour drive to Denver that I could not even list them all.

If you decide to come check it out let me know, and I will assist you in any way possible. The cannabis cup happens to be here 4/20. Would be a good time to come visit. :)

I have checked out the Denver area and it looks amazing. Lots of housing that I could pay off in one check, which is very nice. Thanks for the offer, and if I do make it out that way I will hit you up for sure. 4/20 cup you say huh?

yuba city? are you serious?

that place is a shit hole

You have to look in the mountains man, away from the shity, if you are going to 'go pro' as you say

I agree, the mountains are more what I am looking for. I am not trying to "go pro" per say, but it would be nice to pay off a house and provide for my family from my own land. Any advice on where in the mountains? Thanks for the info, always welcome here.

If you want to run greenhouses, you may be able to find a steal on some land. Or are you looking to run primarily straight outdoor?

If I had a property with acreage I would for sure throw up greenhouses, and hoop houses. However I do love growing strait outdoors the way nature intended.

I love trinity. But I'd move to so hum. Once regulation happens and the greedy douchbags leave and the housing market evens out I will buy in those hills... Sorry bout the jobless but it sounds like you already found the silver lining. I dunno how I could help ya out but Feel free to pm me if you need anything.

I love the trinity area as well, haven't been in years however. Thanks for the support, it's good to know people are willing to help each other still, :tiphat:. Good luck this season.

ponobegone

Veteran
Hey OB I'm out of country currently but when I can pm ya I got some realtor contacts for you that specialize in our line of work. Plus my rental lady's number, shes a dang angel! When/if I come back I would love to help you out any way I can brah.

mendo420

Veteran
Keep your head up! sorry to hear about the job situation.

Humboldt seems to be more lenient on plant numbers, But you cant beat the Mendocino weather.