What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mitch's Auto Adventure......

Alpen rock

Wow, already legendary thread, how did I miss it??:laughing:

Im itching to jump on the autowagon this year after lurking for years lol, AF have so much potential for us guerilla growers its crazy, my biggest concern is taste.But the passion and dedication youre displaying here has deff. piqued my interest :tiphat:

Keep up the great work
Man that automatic Bear/triangle OG is gonna be insane when dialed in...are you planning on testing it outdoor this year?

¡Un saludo!

Ghiandola

What a beautifull girls,this thread is like a manual how to grow ...i learn tomuch...Sorry for my imperfect english

Kiss from italy

Tanks for sharing

mitch_connor

large member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wow, already legendary thread, how did I miss it??:laughing:

Im itching to jump on the autowagon this year after lurking for years lol, AF have so much potential for us guerilla growers its crazy, my biggest concern is taste.But the passion and dedication youre displaying here has deff. piqued my interest :tiphat:

Keep up the great work
Man that automatic Bear/triangle OG is gonna be insane when dialed in...are you planning on testing it outdoor this year?

¡Un saludo!

Gracias tio!

Hi, thanks! We're itching to try these outdoors too.
The f2's that are being made now, this is the generation which will show a small percent autoflowering, so some of those could go outside.
Most likely the breeding rejects will go outside whilst the chosen pollinated candidates will remain inside.
But these won't be released until fully stabilised auto at f4, which will be spring 2016 all being well.

What a beautifull girls,this thread is like a manual how to grow ...i learn tomuch...Sorry for my imperfect english

Kiss from italy

Tanks for sharing

No problem you're welcome!

I have some new photos of these projects, I'll upload them soon :)

mitch_connor

large member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here are some photos of the Grape Stomper OG project, F1 @ Day 47, These have shown very fast development considering they were flipped whilst not quite sexually mature.
Frosty, fast and dense flowers, We are considering to grow more of these F1's out to find a nice cutting to run long term.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Amazing aroma too, she's ticking all of my boxes so far.

More photos soon. Cheers

mitch_connor

large member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here are a few snaps of the bear og projects from day 47 -

Bear og x Ripley's OG - some really nice flower clusters on this phenotype!

picture.php

picture.php

Bear og x auto triangle kush
picture.php

picture.php

will get some more photos close to harvest, cheers all, mitch

J-Icky

Ok after reading the whole story I would really love to get a chance to talk to you, once I can message. You're doing what I dream of being able to do and from the sounds of it, the pics, and all the feedback you're doing it all the right way.

Hats off to you and your crew and everything you're doing, and again, once I can message I'd love to pick your brain and bounce some ideas off you.

TommyT

ICMag Donor
Wow, what a killer thread.... some really nice impressions from spain :)
Respect man, lot of hard work you do, but living a dream!

The English Cut

What a great read! You chaps deserve a huge pat on the back, your drive and dedication shine through and all your hard work is bound to reap rewards soon. I have to say it looks like you've adapted to life out here very well, I made the move from uk to northern spain 11 years ago and you've achieved way more than me in much less time, i'm so impressed. Living the fucking dream yeah!

And just when I'd given up on my half-arsed pollen-chucking search for a mould-resistant outdoor auto, along comes this thread to challenge my perceptions of what's possible with these autos. I've been totally re-inspired, up last night til 2.30 stoned as fuck, going through all the seeds I've got stashed in the fridge, hatching plans! So big thanks for that, as if I wasn't busy enough already lol!

Interesting story behind your company name, I'd just assumed it came from a conversation like this:

Autoflower sceptic: Your buds are as big as what?
Mitch Connor: Me fist.
Autoflower sceptic: Oh...... (stunned silence)

well I was wrong, but the mad scientist from South Park is a pretty good alternative, also you have to admit that Four-Assed Monkey® would be a great name for a strain, no?

So anyway I also have some questions to put to you, but as you seem to be very open about things, I'll ask them here insted of by pm, so everyone can see the answers...

Firstly I was wondering how do you do your selection to get past the F1 stage of auto x non-auto breeding, as none of the plants show AF characteristics? Is it just a case of picking the best plants or do you also look for earlier flowering? In my limited experience of af to non-af f1s, only the males have shown any kind of autoflowering traits, and females just finished a few weeks earlier than full photoperiod plants.

It'd be cool to know how you proceed in the f2 stage too. Are they flowered at 12/12 too? At what point (f2, f3, beyond?) do you start to see autoflowering, and in what proportion of the plants? I suppose I'm asking about breeding-in the autoflower trait rather than your own highly secret selection process to find what you feel to be the best plants. :noway:

I saw you mention that a lot of the autos on the market are (auto x non auto) x auto. While I'm glad you're going the long way round and taking no shortcuts with the breeding process, I'm just wondering about some seeds I have saved from a NLxBB auto that got accidentally knocked up by an early male from my DieselxLowRider2 F1s. Should those seeds produce full auto plants?

Okay, nearly finished asking - what's the deal with the restrictive potting you practice? Is that to limit the size of the plant or do you find it speeds up flowering?

Last one - I'm definitely going to try and find some space for some of your work in my garden this year, what would you say are the most mould-resistant strains you have? HBSS has been mentioned, but are there any others from the newer crosses?

Anyway, sorry for the long-ass post. Keep up the good work posting inspiring stuff. Peace, TEC.

mitch_connor

large member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ok after reading the whole story I would really love to get a chance to talk to you, once I can message. You're doing what I dream of being able to do and from the sounds of it, the pics, and all the feedback you're doing it all the right way.

Hats off to you and your crew and everything you're doing, and again, once I can message I'd love to pick your brain and bounce some ideas off you.

Thanks, you're welcome to ask in here, or message if you like.
I'm a little bit slow replying here at times, but i'll do my best.

Wow, what a killer thread.... some really nice impressions from spain :)
Respect man, lot of hard work you do, but living a dream!

Getting there bit by bit cheers!

What a great read! You chaps deserve a huge pat on the back, your drive and dedication shine through and all your hard work is bound to reap rewards soon. I have to say it looks like you've adapted to life out here very well, I made the move from uk to northern spain 11 years ago and you've achieved way more than me in much less time, i'm so impressed. Living the fucking dream yeah!

And just when I'd given up on my half-arsed pollen-chucking search for a mould-resistant outdoor auto, along comes this thread to challenge my perceptions of what's possible with these autos. I've been totally re-inspired, up last night til 2.30 stoned as fuck, going through all the seeds I've got stashed in the fridge, hatching plans! So big thanks for that, as if I wasn't busy enough already lol!

Interesting story behind your company name, I'd just assumed it came from a conversation like this:

Autoflower sceptic: Your buds are as big as what?
Mitch Connor: Me fist.
Autoflower sceptic: Oh...... (stunned silence)

well I was wrong, but the mad scientist from South Park is a pretty good alternative, also you have to admit that Four-Assed Monkey® would be a great name for a strain, no?

So anyway I also have some questions to put to you, but as you seem to be very open about things, I'll ask them here insted of by pm, so everyone can see the answers...

Firstly I was wondering how do you do your selection to get past the F1 stage of auto x non-auto breeding, as none of the plants show AF characteristics? Is it just a case of picking the best plants or do you also look for earlier flowering? In my limited experience of af to non-af f1s, only the males have shown any kind of autoflowering traits, and females just finished a few weeks earlier than full photoperiod plants.

It'd be cool to know how you proceed in the f2 stage too. Are they flowered at 12/12 too? At what point (f2, f3, beyond?) do you start to see autoflowering, and in what proportion of the plants? I suppose I'm asking about breeding-in the autoflower trait rather than your own highly secret selection process to find what you feel to be the best plants. :noway:

I saw you mention that a lot of the autos on the market are (auto x non auto) x auto. While I'm glad you're going the long way round and taking no shortcuts with the breeding process, I'm just wondering about some seeds I have saved from a NLxBB auto that got accidentally knocked up by an early male from my DieselxLowRider2 F1s. Should those seeds produce full auto plants?

Okay, nearly finished asking - what's the deal with the restrictive potting you practice? Is that to limit the size of the plant or do you find it speeds up flowering?

Last one - I'm definitely going to try and find some space for some of your work in my garden this year, what would you say are the most mould-resistant strains you have? HBSS has been mentioned, but are there any others from the newer crosses?

Anyway, sorry for the long-ass post. Keep up the good work posting inspiring stuff. Peace, TEC.

If you've survived out here for 11 years you can't be doing bad yourself :)
It's always difficult, it's been far more difficult than we imagined and we've had periods of wanting to jack it all in but kept plugging away and given enough time obstacles get smaller.

In the f1 generation, Basically we're looking for the out and out best plants that are most like the photoperiod they were based on. Of course depending on the specific project if there is a particular favourable trait(s) we are after then selection takes place based on those. But usually it's a combination and finding the best package.

F2 is where you find the auto's, it's a recessive trait, but +/- 25% will show it, for this reason plants are kept on 24/0 for around 4 weeks from seed, plants that don't auto are disgarded.
Because of the low amount of plants that will autoflower this gen requires a large population of plants to select from, Say you start 100 plants, then you have 25 that auto, law of averages you end up with 12 or 13 males and the same amount of females, then it's sorting through those in order to find the best/specific traits that have carried through + the auto gene. But by inbreeding the plants that have auto'd this round you're pretty close to having the auto trait locked down.

The F3 run, depending on the strain 85-100% of this generation can autoflower, again inbreeding the best the f4's in my experience are 100% auto.

The restrictive potting is basically so we can run more plants in a given area to select from. It may also trigger the auto's to sex a couple of days more quickly than if they were given a larger volume of medium to explore.

It will restrict the end plant size a bit, but.. if you are on it and look for pre-flowers at the very smallest sign, early identification and transplant means you can still get very decent sized plants. It's just practise and timing.

The diesel in your diesel x lr2 was photoperiod no?
Actually this current run was the first time we had a male auto in the f1's but was one plant out of a couple hundred. It's not something we've had before.
Chances are I would say.. You would be in for about 80% auto's from the seeds it made, You could test a small group to see if you have enough to play with.

Outdoor is pretty new to us, but the outdoor specific auto we are working on is our first attempt at one. We also have the prospect of a collaboration in the works with some different northern genetics. But with outdoor season by season the process is much longer than breeding indoors.

From this years strains, it's basically the strains with a higher sativa influence and strains that have larger numbers of sativa phenotypes that I'd recommend.
Fantasmo express, and SODK are two examples.

Hope I answered everything, thanks for your interest!

hey mitch

great thread

love the close ups of the bear og project

looking forward to your next update

thanks
GA

No probs, will endeavor to get some more photos soon as they start to finish up.

Cheers all, mitch

Alpen rock

But these won't be released until fully stabilised auto at f4, which will be spring 2016 all being well.

Thanks for your reply Mitch.

Very informative thread...true AF breeding takes time and work, taking every cross to F4, wow!!

Keep up the great work :tiphat:

J-Icky

Thanks for your reply Mitch.

Very informative thread...true AF breeding takes time and work, taking every cross to F4, wow!!

Keep up the great work :tiphat:

This statement just goes to show what a sad state todays cannabis "breeding" is in. No breeder should ever sell anything that isn't well bred and stable. So that means no "strain" should ever hit the market before hitting the F4 cross. And no backcrssing doesn't stabilize anything and no matter how many back-crosses it should be bred out to at least an F4 after the back-cross.

So again hats off to m_c and crew as, if I read and understood everything, they won't release anything until they test the F4s and even after releasing it they continue to work on the strain. Not only are they producing some great strains. but they are doing it the way it suppose to be done. Unlike most of todays "breeders" that just take a clone only "super plant" and cross it with skunk, nl, haze, ect and release the seeds as a new "strain" or do a cross and backcross and release it.

mitch_connor

large member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cheers guys.
As said above the f4 makes the auto trait stable, and typically this generation and first release only a modest amount of seeds are made. After that the inbreeding continues to stabilise the best phenotype(s) within the strain. As long as the strain remains with the our catalogue overtime it will be worked on further. Cheers :)

Alpen rock

No breeder should ever sell anything that isn't well bred and stable. So that means no "strain" should ever hit the market before hitting the F4 cross. And no backcrssing doesn't stabilize anything and no matter how many back-crosses it should be bred out to at least an F4 after the back-cross.

I don't agree with you, Im far from an expert but serious breeders often offer both F1 hybrids and long worked backcrosses in their line up.Intensive testing is more important before releasing anything IMO.

That said I couldn't agree more that some breeders have very questionable ethics and practices.Forums are here to lead us on the right path!!

Peace

ghostmade

Veteran
^^^agreed .but on the auto front, f4 is the standard (joint doctor) when breeding for the stable autoflowering trait.

mitch_connor

large member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Anything less and there's a chance you'll get non-auto's popping up, which is very unfavourable when you're prepared to see your plants auto. :)

ddt

mitch, all your work looks so professional and nice looking. its necessary to support breeders as you are.
your thread is imho best here in auto section. i was focusing only on regular strains, tried few autos in the past but wasnt happy with them. finally, your work looks like times are changing.
big respect and keepin fingers crossed for your success

Piff Rhys Jones

🌴 Hugging Trees 🌴
Veteran
What up Mitch, only just discovered this thread, wish I'd found it sooner, really inspiring stuff, hats off!

Wishing you all the best!

Peace

Latest posts

Latest posts