What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Illinois revised timelines and guidelines

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Although...... :smoke:....

It seems as though the nod was given for larger scale future expansion.....and, there's a lot to be said for the ability to add 5-10 acres of greenhouses in future and turn any building originally utilized into a pre veg and post processing facility.....:smoke:

An aspect that brings a smile to the face :smoke:.....

Edit/Update: Illinois Math
6,300 "begun" the application.
Several/two dozen notified..."most" approved.
800 applications "completed"
5,000 plus applications "begun"....

Last edited:

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
That's impressive, 6300 applicants in 6 weeks, still have a couple more weeks for the A-L patients, and then in Nov and Dec it's the M-Z. And then of course in Jan anyone can apply, it's only the early adopters now.
Of course, if half of those 6300 are caretakers, then that halves the actual number of buyers, but I dont think half are caretakers. Maybe 30% at most? A patient can only have one caretaker at a time, and not every patient will have a caretaker....

Buyer base in IL could easily top 10000 patients in the first year, assuming that most of the other 85% finish their apps - seems like most are waiting on doctor certifications or criminal background checks.

A few business (disp's and cc's) are going to do well, there'll be enough business to sustain. The rest, maybe not...

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bababooey said:
That's impressive, 6300 applicants in 6 weeks, still have a couple more weeks for the A-L patients, and then in Nov and Dec it's the M-Z. And then of course in Jan anyone can apply, it's only the early adopters now.
Yes and no. What certainly isn't impressive is out of 6,300, several dozen "notified"...with "most" approved....

(So 20 patients so far? :smoke:.....impressive such certainly is not.....)

On a different note, deficiency/request for additional information notices for dispensary applications went out this week.

True. (A-L) I think end of year count will be interesting, but think the additional ailments added over next 12 months, combined with the increased numbers (if any) will tell a greater story.

I think the future landscape in IL will be quite different from that first year. Quite a bit of news nationwide this past week and month.
Of course, if half of those 6300 are caretakers, then that halves the actual number of buyers, but I dont think half are caretakers. Maybe 30% at most? A patient can only have one caretaker at a time, and not every patient will have a caretaker....
Eh....speculation. (But I did see you said "at best", so......hopefully the case.....)
Buyer base in IL could easily top 10000 patients in the first year, assuming that most of the other 85% finish their apps - seems like most are waiting on doctor certifications or criminal background checks.

A few business (disp's and cc's) are going to do well, there'll be enough business to sustain. The rest, maybe not...

Metro (Chicago) of course greatest base. Sure most dispos within will do well (As long as they didn't spend 3MM :smoke:...)

Cultivation will be a greater challenge as a direct connection to patient participation levels...

I'd be more curious to see how the larger planned operations (cultivation) do based on their targets, assumptions, staffing levels declared, (and all promises made)...

As above, I'm sure well into the future there will be quite a bit of changes made, but, seeing many applicants speaking of 8 figure operations and they have, what was it?...20 patients so far?......think they're in for quite the surprise....

But....then again....being the sophisticated and intelligent individuals they are.......I"m sure they took that into consideration (new program, limited conditions, while to establish patient numbers.....so.....as touched on....thought best to stick to 6k units within first 6 months to be cautious :smoke:....and others only to spend 30MM on facility :smoke:)

All the while as the industry positions nationwide for the greatest expansion in the shortest period of time its seen in the history of the nation.....

Or one could just assume that 2016 will be the recreational year.....which makes all a moot point....:smoke:...

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Yes and no. What certainly isn't impressive is out of 6,300, several dozen "notified"...with "most" approved....

(So 20 patients so far? :smoke:.....impressive such certainly is not.....)

On a different note, deficiency/request for additional information notices for dispensary applications went out this week.

True. (A-L) I think end of year count will be interesting, but think the additional ailments added over next 12 months, combined with the increased numbers (if any) will tell a greater story.

I think the future landscape in IL will be quite different from that first year. Quite a bit of news nationwide this past week and month.

Eh....speculation. (But I did see you said "at best", so......hopefully the case.....)

Metro (Chicago) of course greatest base. Sure most dispos within will do well (As long as they didn't spend 3MM :smoke:...)

Cultivation will be a greater challenge as a direct connection to patient participation levels...

I'd be more curious to see how the larger planned operations (cultivation) do based on their targets, assumptions, staffing levels declared, (and all promises made)...

As above, I'm sure well into the future there will be quite a bit of changes made, but, seeing many applicants speaking of 8 figure operations and they have, what was it?...20 patients so far?......think they're in for quite the surprise....

But....then again....being the sophisticated and intelligent individuals they are.......I"m sure they took that into consideration (new program, limited conditions, while to establish patient numbers.....so.....as touched on....thought best to stick to 6k units within first 6 months to be cautious :smoke:....and others only to spend 30MM on facility :smoke:)

All the while as the industry positions nationwide for the greatest expansion in the shortest period of time its seen in the history of the nation.....

Or one could just assume that 2016 will be the recreational year.....which makes all a moot point....:smoke:...

Only a fraction of those thousands of apps have been approved so far but i expect the approvals to numbers in the thousands as well, if 'most' are being approved.

after a month rest, so begins the desperate scramble to get the necessary paperwork in order again. hopefully its just one or two things this time for most applicants.

are more states going recreational? colorado has a well developed recreational market and the world has not ended. washington's has started as well and the feds havent come down upon them with fire and sword yet.
cali will surely be close behind, as well as oregon.
but those states had mmj markets for over 10 years before going recreational. 2016 for IL is a bit optimistic. maybe 2020...
if congress can convince the dea to reschedule cannabis, and if banks can get a green light (pun intended) to do business with canna stores, then i might see recreational becoming a national thing. it would come in the form of a federal bill to respect state's rights with regard to cannabis.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
From Crains:
Apparently the state wants the patient cards to be tamperproof like credit cards, and that's not cheap.
Also, the state is still soliciting bids for the inventory tracking system, with an operational date of April 2015.

"Selling pot was a lot simpler back when all you needed was a good scale and an ample supply of Baggies.
Security measures under the rigorous Illinois medical marijuana law could push back the date when authorized patients can begin purchasing their allotted 2.5 ounces every two weeks, although the state is still saying it will be available early next year.
Implementing the new law was not expected to be easy, with the state taking almost a year to write regulations and start issuing licenses to patients. Applications from growers and sellers are under review, and the first licenses are expected by the end of the year.
However, a recent procurement of tamper-proof identification cards was canceled and put out for bid again on Oct. 28 because no bidders met the strict security requirements the first time.
VISA OR MASTERCARD
Police & Sheriff's Press Inc., a firm in Vidalia, Ga., that makes the ID cards that allow air marshals to carry guns on planes, for example, didn't bid on the contract, said Glenn Raiford, the company's owner and president.
The specifications "didn't fall into the normal and customary card issuance procedures,” he said. “The requirements were so restrictive that it wasn't conducive for us to bid.”
Specifically, the state wants the card vendor to have the security certification of a MasterCard or Visa card issuer, which isn't cheap or easy to obtain. Mr. Raiford said it would cost $500,000 a year to obtain that certification, which makes sense for a credit card issuer making millions of cards, but not for the 100,000 cards the state is ordering. “Thanks but no thanks,” he said.
With a request for bids on the ID cards going out again almost immediately, the state doesn't expect startup to be delayed.
“We think a number of potential vendors were not aware of the bid and we think now there is more awareness of the invitation for bid,” said a spokeswoman for the Illinois Medical Cannabis program in an email. "We anticipate awarding licenses by the end of the year, with businesses opening and product available the first part of next year.”
However, another recent request for proposals (RFP) on comprehensive inventory tracking software, monitoring from “seed to sale,” said the state's target date for the system to “go live” is not until “on or before April 2015.”
“If they're not going to allow production until April, you're talking well into midsummer before product is available,” said Dan Linn, executive director of the Illinois chapter of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, noting that it takes about four months for a crop to mature.

It may be necessary to monitor the start of production by other means until the system is operational.
“Having the entire program operational before April 2015 is still possible,” said the spokeswoman for the Illinois medical cannabis program. “Inventory tracking will occur using a variety of methods and technology platforms, but cultivation centers will be permitted to start growing medical cannabis following issuance of a license by the Department of Agriculture. There is a pending RFP for an inventory tracking system, but generally we will ensure that we have sufficient inventory tracking systems in place so there is no interruption of the implementation of the pilot program"

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
From the suntimes. About 8k apps, 1500 of which are complete, and 230 are approved.
Approvals are running a bit slow but if they pick the pace up maybe there will 5k approved by April? 8K approved by end of 2015? Total speculation of course, and we dont know how many approved are caregivers vs patients...
And M-Z just started applying this month.

"Athough about 8,000 people have started an application to use medical marijuana legally in Illinois, only 1,500 people have submitted accompanying documents, according to data released by the Department of Health Wednesday.

So far, about 230 patients have been approved, Department of Health spokeswoman Melaney Arnold said.

The number of applicants is climbing every month, according to the monthly release of data.

Last month, 6,300 people had began the process, with 800 submitting the accompanying information.

Seriously ill Illinoisans who suffer from 37 specific conditions — including spinal cord diseases, Parkinson's disease and lupus — must send in their application and must complete a fingerprint-based background check. The patient's treating doctor must separately mail a recommendation form, certifying their patient would benefit from using medical marijuana.

The Illinois Department of Public Health began accepting applications on Nov. 1 from patients whose last names begin with “M” through “Z." But it will continue accepting applications from patients whose last names begin with “A” through “L.” Patients should apply before the end of the year, according to state notices.

Registration cards will be issued for patients who are approved.

The Department of Health is seeking bidders to create those cards.

In the first round, the agency "did not receive an acceptable application" and issued a bid invitation again on Oct. 28, Arnold said. Bids are due Nov. 21.

State officials are still reviewing applications from those seeking to grow and sell the medical marijuana. The Illinois-grown product is expected to be available to patients next year."

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Rauner wanted to open up licensing to highest bidder. that probably would have ended in disaster, for the winners.

How's the supplemental request going, Julian? maybe the state will issue licenses in about a month or so. will be interesting...

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I truly wonder what was on people's minds with Rauner........(pro Rauner)....

Not sure....heard that some notices went out mid October, know one source that basically had everything delivered the following morning, 2 docs, so.....haven't heard really anything about it since then from anyone.....but we are far along...already almost 2 months in and approaching the stated target deadlines......I'm more concerned about the timelines, and, given the season (Thanksgiving to New Years dead period), actually, would prefer as late as possible at this point....

The above period never a good one regarding business matters...never has been never will be and would hate to see Dec be a period on the 6 month timetable...but then weather, especially if new construction being done....you cant win either way to a degree.....We will see....halfway through Nov right now, last week Nov a dead week, then on to Dec and holidays and New Years....

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Maybe traditionally democratic voters were upset with how that party mismanaged the state's finances to the point where IL is in hock up its eyeballs.
I would like to think the state would start issuing disp and cc licenses earlier in Dec rather than later, but maybe mid Dec is my guess (earlier than that being highly optimistic given the compressed application process).

Isnt it possible to do construction during the winter? new technologies in building (concrete that will dry in cold weather, etc) may enable that, i know ive seen construction guys working during the winter. Especially if most of what you have to do is indoors, winter shouldnt be too much of an issue.

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Of course...(construction in winter)....but most rural locations, significant travel (for crews as well as materials), snow removal much less than in metros, and on and on....as well as severity of weather, which goes back to the above, rural often hit much harder and less removal even on interstate(s), etc.....

An interesting discussion of the week is how many of the applicants are still having their zoning matters addressed, some even finally getting denied as we speak, meaning how many applications are being/were reviewed (increasing the timeframe/turnaround) which weren't necessary.....

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Lets hope it's a mild winter, then.

Yeah, it's messed up, but the whole application timeframe was messed up from the beginning.
gotta suck to put forth all that effort and money only to have your zoning denied while theyre reviewing your application...

still, competition is fierce, and only one shall emerge victorious (as far as cc's per district), so even if you had zoning approved no guarantee you'll get a license...

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well.....issue being I have seen at least several dozen denied (zoning/city/county) since application deadline, which means theoretically, they could have already been done by now if not spent/spending the time on dead apps...(I'm growing increasingly salty about that every time I see another......)

Which brings to light:
1. What is they had finished reviewing? (and approvals and permits (special use) still not obtained?
2. How can they theoretically score and make these determinations if people do not have their site secured???

We're all okay with waiting (per se)......but, to know it's further being delayed by time spent on apps which are dead is frustrating/infuriating.....

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Thats a legitimate concern, but maybe they think that some applicants can later get zoning approval? try try again?
but yeah, hard to think they would issue a license to someone who doesnt have zoning approval in hand.
just gotta sit and wait. everyone knew going in that licenses wouldnt be issued till Dec, would it be quicker if they immediately dropped from consideration those who didnt have zoning approval? how would they know? are applicants supposed to update their zoning status?
maybe they just rank everyone by points (like they said they would). #1 gets the license, if he doesnt have zoning approval, it goes to #2, if they dont have zoning, then #3 youre up...
so maybe you WANT those applicants in, and hope there's enough of them in front of you that the license falls into your lap, so to speak.
or you could just be #1, who knows...

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
No such luck....all my/our interests fall into the most competitive districts in the state :smoke:...ie: knock out 5 and still against a bunch of others :biglaugh: which is of little concern to me, I assure you.. :smoke:....wish I could say more...

Good point(s).....State no way of knowing status....applicant not obligated to inform state they lost site(s), but, we'll see.....we're in the final run now, so....(next week a dead week, sure people cutting out Wednesday early then back on Monday.....so....once we hit Wed (next week), we're basically automatically at the 1st (Dec)...

I did see something by a county official south stating "They MAY" be issued BY the end of the year, but, yet another case of "says/said who".....

I've had one single question to anyone for a while now to illustrate the depth of their knowledge......to date, not single source can answer that single question :smoke:...

Too many people talking just for the sake of talking....truth is, the ones that know, aren't :smoke:...

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
No,No.....we were discussing/referring to applicants still (some even next week and beyond) waiting for their city, county approvals special use permits, etc....

Zoning. People getting denied on their zoning requests. For their chosen sites....ie: They submitted without their applicable permits and or arrangements confirmed/established, and continued to pursue.....etc....

Point being, no state decisions made public, but, many applicants week by week day by day losing their sites and that time spent on those "dead" apps prolonging the process.

amannamedtruth

Veteran
Aahhh, gotcha, thanks for clearing that up.

So evidently there's only 800 patients approved in IL right now? So at this rate, probably no more than 2000 by the end of the year...

And with an un-supportive Governor-elect, one has to wonder how viable the market in Illinois will be, whether people want to produce for little to no return, and with no guarantee of being allowed to operate in a few years...makes one wonder how many of those awarded a permit actually accept it.

Obviously its about the patients, but nobody wants to spend $2 mil to get people an herb for no return.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
10 million dollar cultivation center (all LEDs?)

10 million dollar cultivation center (all LEDs?)

Downs approves measure to develop medical marijuana cultivation center
By Breanna Grow on November 18, 2014
The Village of Downs board approved a measure last week to rezone land for development as a medical marijuana cultivation center.

The measure passed with a 4-2 vote to change the zoning of the property, a 160-acre site located within the Village of Downs at 405 N. 2000 East Rd., from mixed-use residential to agricultural.

Board member Michael Freimann voted against the measure, saying the intended use for the property dictated it be zoned as manufacturing.

Downs Mayor Mike James voted to approve the measure.

“Our lawyer and our experts have told us [agriculture] would be the proper zoning for the property,” James said.

Developer Tim Jones was denied a similar request to develop a cultivation center by the McLean County Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA).

Jones submitted the request to the McLean County ZBA after the owner of the Downs property refused to sell. Upon a second request to the owner, Jones was able to purchase the property.

Illinois law allows one cultivation center per state police district. McLean, Dewitt and Livingston counties all fall under district 6 jurisdiction.

Jones, owner and president of MWAA, Inc., plans to build a $10 million cultivation facility on the site. James said the facility’s design has a “green” implement, a recapturing system to collect and reuse rainwater, as well as water drawn from the property’s 17-acre pond.

“What I like about this is it’s built from the ground up to be a cultivation center,” James said, comparing the project to other retrofitted centers in existing buildings. “So that means our security is going to be done the way it needs to be done.”

Two public information meetings were held for local residents to learn more and discuss the proposal. James said the majority of people present at the meetings supported the plan.

“The largest benefit [of the project] is the jobs,” James said. The cultivation center will add an estimated 61 full-time jobs to the Downs economy and an additional 50 construction jobs as the facility is built.

The facility could also bring up to $250,000 in property taxes to the local Tri-Valley school district.

Part of the application to request rezoning required Jones to explain how he would give back to the community. Jones pledged money to the Downs police department, the county area Drug Abuse Resistance Education (D.A.R.E.) program and the local church where Jones was married and is currently a member.

Jones was born and raised near Downs and attended school in the Tri-Valley district.

“We really like the fact that he is committed to our area,” James said. “He’s not from a Chicago company that’s coming down and dropping two or three of these [centers] in place. They don’t really care about our community. All they’ll do is what they’re required by the state. And none of that money stays here, it goes to the corporate location.”

The state will decide whether Jones will receive a cultivation license from among 10 other applicants in District 6 by the end of the year.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
12 apps in Des plaines for dispensary, prime wellness so close...

12 apps in Des plaines for dispensary, prime wellness so close...

The Des Plaines City Council voted to put off final approval of a permit that would let a medical marijuana dispensary open on the far southwest corner of the city.

The City Council has already given Prime Wellness of Illinois the first stage of approval for a conditional-use permit that would allow the company to operate a 4,000-square-foot medical marijuana dispensary at 415 W. Touhy Ave. But Monday night, several alderman suggested the council hold off on final approval to consider additional fees they may want to impose upon the business.

Ald. Michael Charewicz, 8th, suggested the city consider an "impact fee" to cover potential city costs like increased police patrols of the area around the proposed facility.

Both Charewicz and Ald. James Brookman, 5th, said they had heard Schaumburg officials were considering imposing a $100,000 fee on any medical marijuana dispensary looking to open within the village.

"I was rather shocked by that, and I think we should look at that possibility or option," Brookman said.

But Ald. Mark Walsten, 6th, opposed holding off on the final vote.

"To me, this thing is finished, done," he said. "We've already beat it to death. I don't know what else we can do on it."

Ald. Denise Rodd, 3rd, agreed, saying said the city could consider adding such a fee following the approval of the conditional-use permit.

Whether or not the city decides to impose a fee, it cannot be included as a condition in the proposed permit, said Peter Friedman, general counsel for the city.

Such a fee would be approved separately from the conditional use permit and would apply to all potential medical marijuana dispensaries, he said.

Proposed Des Plaines medical marijuana dispensary clears hurdle
Proposed Des Plaines medical marijuana dispensary clears hurdle
Lee V. Gaines
But Friedman added that having the fee in place before the conditional use permit is granted may be "a better position to be in."

Prime Wellness of Illinois is currently the only medical marijuana dispensary that has applied to the state to open a facility within the corporate limits of Des Plaines, according to city staff members.

State rules dictate that for every two townships, only one dispensary may open.

Twelve companies, including Prime Wellness of Illinois, have submitted applications to the state to open a facility within the Elk Grove and Schaumburg townships, according to Des Plaines officials.

The state has the final say as to which company will be selected, but applicants also are required to gain the necessary approval from whichever municipality each company plans to open in.

Walsten asked whether it's possible the state would choose a final applicant before the council's next scheduled meeting on Dec. 1.

Friedman said no one knows when the state will make a final decision, but added that he'd "be surprised if it was before the next meeting."

Ald. Don Smith, 7th, said he believed a further two-week deferral would still allow the applicant enough time to gain approval from the state.

Walsten and Rodd were the only aldermen present who voted against deferring the issue to the first council meeting in December. Ald. Patricia Haugeberg, 1st, and Mayor Matt Bogusz were both absent from the meeting.