What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LED Retailers...

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
both magnum lights and the stealth grow sg602 have been added...

check page 1, post 1 for the latest charts...

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
They have a Mag+ model. The sentence following the 180 watts says the new model does put out 357 watts...

If you follow the 357 Magnum link on the right side of their main page, it shows this:

357w of Pure Efficient Flower Producing Power (compare to 600w of HID), 180w actual power draw

and at the bottom of the ad it says this:

357 Magnum Product Specifications:dimensions: 19" long x 12.5" wide x 3" deep
footprint: 1 square meter
power output: 357w
operating temp: -20C ~ + 40C
voltage: 110v North American ~ 220v European
weight: 16 lbs

Both are supposed to be for the standard, not the plus, unit. Looks like they need to overhaul their ad a bit.

asde²

3w Bridgelux, Epistar & Edison Diodes - the used led's are inefficient anyways

beside that, their description is really WTF? BOOOOOOOM! LOL!!!

zymos

Jammin'!
Veteran
There's an LED-centric growing forum out there where the Magnums seem to be the lamp of choice- plenty of grow journals using them.
Check out ledbudguy...

T_B_M

3w Bridgelux, Epistar & Edison Diodes - the used led's are inefficient anyways

beside that, their description is really WTF? BOOOOOOOM! LOL!!!

I have yet to find a 3W emitter on either of those manufacturer's sites. What I do find are weakly powered LEDs. Unless there are certain LEDs that are manufactured that aren't on their site.

If a light don't use either Cree, LEDEngin, or Osram, it isn't worth it. Why buy mediocrity when you can buy top shelf?

Epistar doesn't have good emitter IMO, I checked all their spec sheets. I see a lot of LED retailers use them, and I can't figure out why. Oh yeah, because they want to make money. Thank God for profit margins.

I see some people say we are paying for the research, but that is ignorant BS. They are robbing people left and right because people don't know any better. They build cheaper lights because most people are cheap asses who don't want to spring $1000 on a light, such as the Lumigrows. I don't really blame them, but c'mon, why buy a mediocre light that doesn't even output its advertised rating? Suckers are born every minute I guess.

alkalien

It should be possible to build lights at arround 30€ plus 2€ per W using above average bin Osram or Cree LEDs. This would still leave you arround 20% margin. I can't see why to pay more than arround 0,90€/W for a LED Panel with standard LEDs. That is, of course, talking about actual W...

T_B_M

There's an LED-centric growing forum out there where the Magnums seem to be the lamp of choice- plenty of grow journals using them.
Check out ledbudguy...

That site is hosted by Magnum. Of course it will talk them up and show only good grows. Find me a finished journal of a normal poster......after a half hour of reading, the only decent plants I saw were from the moderator. Most other journals fizzled out after the flouring started. Hmm. Call me skeptical, but I smell more BS.

You have to realize something, the whole LED industry is pretty much BS. Not the technology, just the shysters in the industry.

T_B_M

It should be possible to build lights at arround 30€ plus 2€ per W using above average bin Osram or Cree LEDs. This would still leave you arround 20% margin. I can't see why to pay more than arround 0,90€/W for a LED Panel with standard LEDs. That is, of course, talking about actual W...

I agree. I love my home made LED arrays. I spent less than I would have if I bought one of these crappy lights from most of the mid-range $400-800 units. Lumigrow seems to be the only company that knows what they are doing. Too bad most won't pay the price for good quality, but they will pay for shit quality, then bitch about LED not being good for growing.

alkalien

It is a lot to learn if you really want to know. People who never learned about the physics and the electronics you need to understand do have quite a wall they need to climb. I can't blame anybody who doesn't want to take that amount of time. Took me half a year to build my first array...

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
That site is hosted by Magnum. Of course it will talk them up and show only good grows. Find me a finished journal of a normal poster......after a half hour of reading, the only decent plants I saw were from the moderator. Most other journals fizzled out after the flouring started. Hmm. Call me skeptical, but I smell more BS.

You have to realize something, the whole LED industry is pretty much BS. Not the technology, just the shysters in the industry.

i'm always googling/researching these lights trying to find actually grow journals/threads, etc... but like you said, most just don't stack up or you can't find anything but ads...

there are 6 or 7 different models in my list that do have grows to prove what they can do. most of which are pretty decent and all right in the 1 gpw area and up...

asde²

If a light don't use either Cree, LEDEngin, or Osram, it isn't worth it. Why buy mediocrity when you can buy top shelf?

LEDEngin? you gotta be kidding; add Philips Lumileds (Luxeon) instead, they have the best red/blue on market today

One alternative to the plain old drivers is a buck puck type of current controller.

yes its very applicatory but requires active fans because usually its not very efficient.. but i heard philips got new led drivers ready which are almost as efficient as their hid-drivers.. im sure osram and others aren't sleeping either

It is a lot to learn if you really want to know. People who never learned about the physics and the electronics you need to understand do have quite a wall they need to climb. I can't blame anybody who doesn't want to take that amount of time. Took me half a year to build my first array...

sad but true and yet, i couldn't find a single source which is easy to understand and which people believe in..

FreedomGrower

Veteran
Just tried out some of these from this retailer; seem to work very very well ... Glue to a heat-sink; Link the colors you want together; Plug in to 24v AC power and Rock N Roll

http://www.ledsupply.com/luxstripII.php
6 Diode strip with built in CC driver ... (6 watt @ 350ma)(15 watts @700ma)(dim-able power optional)

T_B_M

Too bad Lumileds aren't too convenient for the DIYer to solder onto a MCPCB, but yeah, def. high quality.

tenthirty

After reading Knna's thread at gardenscure, even with Lumigrows it looks like they are doubling their money even if the parts are purchased at retail prices, and that is predicated on buying the best highest bin leds!

I'm afraid that the only way to get the best grow led is to make it your self..

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
After reading Knna's thread at gardenscure, even with Lumigrows it looks like they are doubling their money even if the parts are purchased at retail prices, and that is predicated on buying the best highest bin leds!

I'm afraid that the only way to get the best grow led is to make it your self..

I think that if you start making up a complete list of all of the components that you need, you will be very surprised. I have an ES330, and am just finishing up building a DIY fixture, and the comparison in cost wouldn't put a smile on my wife's face. Aside from the cost of the led's, you have drivers, heat sinks, anodizing, fans, mcpcb stars (optional, but desirable), a bunch of small things that quickly add up like epoxy, liquid solder, kapton, copper tape, etc. Then, if you don't want all of your expensive components flapping in the breeze, you need to figure out how to build a suitable enclosure and buy the parts for that. When it's all said and done, the costs are much closer than you would imagine, and that is totally discounting a bunch of labor.

I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from fabbing their own, but they need to go into it with their eyes open.

FreedomGrower

Veteran
I agree rives; DIY is pita my 200 diode 300 watt deep red osram light cost me 1k; you can get the global tech 270w with the luxeon rebels for 1700 that is well built with a warranty ... Took about 20 hours to construct due to soldering tiny diode PITA

These look awesome for vegg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAR38-LED-C...411?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2314a8683b

CREEXR-E.jpg

jubiare

Hallo guys, I have a few concernes regarding two manufacturer:
- SOLARO SUN CLONE: what do you guys think? is this panel still a bit of a mistery? is it a crap unit or a legit one? Has anybody real info, or anybody talked to the improved.led people?

- EVO LEDS: I can feel there is something amazing about this products; But the incomplete Mr x journal has put me off a bit. Also, not having any blue diodes, or UV diodes, or 660nm deep red diodes..... what do you guys think? I fear you get fluffy buds without some of the spectrums.. Am I wrong here? has anybody any experience with those lights? Or legit infos?

Many many thanks
jubiARE

Latest posts

Latest posts