Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Organic Soil > Not really hitting my stride yet, any suggestions how to improve?

Thread Title Search
Not really hitting my stride yet, any suggestions how to improve? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-17-2018, 09:07 AM #71
bigbadbiddy

bigbadbiddy is a jewel in the roughbigbadbiddy is a jewel in the roughbigbadbiddy is a jewel in the roughbigbadbiddy is a jewel in the roughbigbadbiddy is a jewel in the roughbigbadbiddy is a jewel in the roughbigbadbiddy is a jewel in the roughbigbadbiddy is a jewel in the rough
Yep,

I would not have started PHing my water if I hadn't begun seeing deficiencies in the plants.

My water is unfortunately quite hard. up to 700 ppm on bad days, around 300ppm on average. PH is also in the 7.1-7.4 range.

Far from ideal but should be workable.

I used to PH it down to 6.2 or in that range and imagined it having positive effects.
But everything was just skewed and distorted by the buckwheat hulls, I believe.

Will know soon. The soil stuff should arrive in the coming days and then I get to mixing. I think in a month or two I will have the first indications to how much of a negative factor the buckwheat hulls really were.
bigbadbiddy is offline Quote

Old 09-17-2018, 06:26 PM #72
PaulieWaulie

PaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of light
700ppm is pretty hard, I would look into that maybe, do a side by side where you do just one plant with 0 ppm rainwater, Im even curious to try that and my water is only 200ppm.
PaulieWaulie is online now Quote

Old 09-18-2018, 09:35 AM #73
bigbadbiddy

bigbadbiddy is a jewel in the roughbigbadbiddy is a jewel in the roughbigbadbiddy is a jewel in the roughbigbadbiddy is a jewel in the roughbigbadbiddy is a jewel in the roughbigbadbiddy is a jewel in the roughbigbadbiddy is a jewel in the roughbigbadbiddy is a jewel in the rough
My first run in the current setup was done using well-water which was close to 0ppm.
I carried that shit every week for my plants

Was all fine but the second run I did, I didn't have time to carry the well-water every week anymore so I went with the tab.

Came out better than the first run.

Probably had more to do with other changes I made from first to second soil batch but the overarching issues remained due to continued use of buckwheat hulls.

I might do a side-by-side with the well-water again but for the first run in the new batch, sans buckwheat, will be with tab.

700ppm is not the average but the peak I have measured. Unfortunately I couldn't really figure out when these peaks happen. So now I just read the PH of the water before filling my res and if it is around 200-300ppm I go ahead. If it is higher, I wait half a day or a day and it usually comes back down.

Old 09-18-2018, 01:49 PM #74
GOT_BUD?

GOT_BUD? is a name known to allGOT_BUD? is a name known to allGOT_BUD? is a name known to allGOT_BUD? is a name known to allGOT_BUD? is a name known to allGOT_BUD? is a name known to allGOT_BUD? is a name known to allGOT_BUD? is a name known to allGOT_BUD? is a name known to allGOT_BUD? is a name known to allGOT_BUD? is a name known to all
I'll be honest with you, I'd love your water.

I have access to both city water and well water.

My well water is 1800 ppm and comes out bright red from iron and clay.

My city water is 1100 ppm right out of the pipe, and 1200 ppm after softening.

Thank whomever invented the RO filter.
GOT_BUD? is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:26 PM #75
Buddyy

Buddyy will become famous soon enoughBuddyy will become famous soon enough
Hey bigbadbiddy,

Pictures= 1000words.

You mention that you defoliate. Do you trim fan leaves to give bud sites more light?
Buddyy is offline Quote

Old 09-24-2018, 01:20 AM #76
HBF

HBF is on a distinguished road
That's a real high ppm to grow pot, it's' the level of total salts you put in water for a lot of hydroponic growing.

If you're ever really gonna be feeling like you're not ramming and kicking a stone wall, you're gonna have to punt from $25 + a couple of other parts to hook an RO to a well water hose,

or really you should get the darn $70, $85 dollar ones that have two pre-filters.

I know what a hassle breaking into learning about filtration can be but in defense of suggesting you go take a couple of antacids and buy yet another technology - it really is, one line in,

and only two lines out,

when it's all said and done.

You have a sand filter of course, to catch sand, wrenches, rocks, old lawn furniture and whatever else comes through the water hose - that much is kinda like.. "Yeah, I get it,"

and then, there's another pre filter people have had to use for years. You gotta get a darn carbon filter if there's any chlorine, because the original films, they make these filters out of, are degraded somehow by the chlorine, I knew what the deal was but now I can't remember, and today they have another kind that are some sort of like.. I wanna say cellulose acetate - and allegedly the chlorine or chloramine, doesn't damage those but still and all, the other kind are new, and also - a lotta times, in the overall world, you've gotta have all the chloramine out for medical things, like dialysis.

So almost all of em sell you this giant contraption looking deal that is three tubes, in a row: the sand filter, the carbon filter you often see as ''A/C'' - it's "Activated Charcoal." Then the Reverse osmosis filter is last of course and it looks like somebody molded a plastic tube, to stick an empty paper towel cardboard roll in, when it's inside the plastic torpedo tube housing.

All you ever see is on one end of it there's a little line in,

then out at the other end of this contraption there's two lines out.

Well - if you open the the RO shell and look inside, it becomes very plain what goes on inside.

You stick the filter itself inside there, into some sockets that have O rings and your input water comes in one end of it - from the other filters, is how that goes - then out the other end, there's two little lines there, too:

one of them, the line-out that's dead center - is - go figure, the water that seeps from outside the filter, to- the other side of it, purified.

And then there's another little line out and this one has a little hand valve on it you set yourself, and it lets the brine, the highly mineralized water, get OUT and this is called the waste line.

It's got all the minerals of the input water but it's also got all the minerals the filter, took out of that water drizzling out of your center line out for pure water there.

And what you have to do to run it is adjust this little 79cent valve, so you set how much waste you have, vs how much R.O. you have.

The less waste water, the more minerals are pushed against the wall of the filter and the sooner it clogs up, ultimately.

The MORE waste water, then- ultimately, the less minerals are IN that waste water and that means, sorta by extension that there are less concentrated minerals, pressing against the filter, so it clogs later.

And you kinda figure this all out, and you learn about how you can f*** it up, and how ya won't f*** it up, and they run, really, sorta automatically if you set it up right.

What you have to learn to do is control flow by turning the input water on and off, and when this happens, don't let the waste line drain completely. Like - up under peoples' sinks, when they put these in for drinking and coffee, etc?

The waste line, is run in a little loop configuration that just like an under sink regular drain, is designed to keep some water in the line, not so gases won't back up per SE
but so gases don't CLIMB up the empty drain line,
and evaporate the turned off water,
off the outside of the filter,
causing build up on the outside of it.

Something else for you to start doing is catching rain water.
However possible that is for you, you would know, not I, so that'll be something you need to figure out.

What growers do is set one up to run into a barrel or something for awhile, and then they turn them off manually because really that's a lot easier than a lot of other stuff you gotta do to turn them off automatically.

I don't know what your situation is but it's really kinda hard to get around using a water filter that's just all there is to it. Hard water is hell on growing pot.

Because you're not just trying to keep it alive through zombie apocalypse, you're trying to get predictable stuff goin' on. You're thinking to yourself, high quality very healthy weed,
when what you've really got is some very tough water a plant can survive in, sure. But high fidelity free-flyin mind blowing weed in respectable quantities might not be part of that.. combination of circumstances.

I'm sorry it's gonna cost you some money, dude, if you're on well water you can get by without the 85 bucks or whatever, I think if you REALLY low ball you can get a whole set for 70 bucks three filters all this - but the main thing if you're on well water

is just an R.O. and a sand filter and if you're not a true paranoid and you're out somewhere and it IS like zombie apocalypse, you can run the RO on a well, without even a special sand filter for that R.O. for a while. You need one but if you've gotta get stuff and you're just broke as h** you can get a 50 gal per day RO filter (that's either average or max, you adjust to account for filter life anyway, you'll see how it is) and a shell for it, the torpedo looking outside with the one input, and two outputs - filtered and mineralized waste,

for 25 bucks cash American on Ebay. https://is.gd/PQ0t7Q

My wife and I have been moving between three residences, two of which we own, one of which my son is buying so I thought I needed one for the house we just bought, and got one like that. You have to take it into Home Depot with you and get a guy to help you sort out how to go from - nominally for a kinda guerrilla or low footprint deal, a water hose - (you buy a cap for one and a barb, drill the water hose cap out, push in the barb, then push your little 1/4'' feed line on is what you do) to pure water out the other end.

It turned out that my wife and son had loaded up our household one, from where we were living, so I never had to hook mine up this past summer, I used the one with the sand, carbon and RO, so now I have that one I bought laying in a drawer. It's smaller than the ones you get for a house in gallons per day because when you buy the whole thing, you can often get a really good deal and buy like a 100 gallon per day rating filter, rather than the little 50 I showed you.

That's my story in general if somebody gives you a better idea, obviously, take it. Catching rainwater is a big one. Can you catch rainwater? Catching rainwater is actually a lot of fun, believe it or not because you buy those barrels from swap meets, and figure out how to filter your gutter water through some scrubber pads, and sometimes, you'll get creative and have a big sponge, filtering the water as it falls into this barrel, and every time it rains you get just hundreds, upon hundreds of free, crystal clear, damned near perfectly pure, water.

Good luck man you're gonna have a far easier life on better water. Just guaranteed,

If you don't get a sand filter or you just already HAVE one, and you're on well, you're 25 bucks plus a couple of parts from Home Depot from finding out about the pristine water growing world, and I give you my EVERY assurance, you WILL be happier.

Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbiddy View Post
Yep,

I would not have started PHing my water if I hadn't begun seeing deficiencies in the plants.

My water is unfortunately quite hard. up to 700 ppm on bad days, around 300ppm on average. PH is also in the 7.1-7.4 range.

Far from ideal but should be workable.

I used to PH it down to 6.2 or in that range and imagined it having positive effects.
But everything was just skewed and distorted by the buckwheat hulls, I believe.

Will know soon. The soil stuff should arrive in the coming days and then I get to mixing. I think in a month or two I will have the first indications to how much of a negative factor the buckwheat hulls really were.
HBF is online now Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:13 AM #77
bigbadbiddy

Nice man, I will come back to this in the near future!

Yes, an RO filter has been an item of interest for me for a while now.

I just started to tackle the setup in other places first and now ultimately landed at the buckwheat hulls as the main culprit.

Pending my next round (I just mixed the fresh soil batch, waiting for it to cook now and for the worms to do their work) and how that shakes out, the water is definitely the next item on my list.

As I mentioned before, I also have a pressurized Blumat system waiting to be hooked up and installed and I am currently debating if I use the current downtime to install it for the next run.

Might do one more run of handwatering and then during the run decide if I go for an RO filter or not.

My issue with the RO filter system is that I don't have a dedicated faucet for my grow room. I would have to use the faucet in the adjacent room, install the RO filter there, drill a hole in the wall, lay some pipe over to the grow room and connect it to the res.
All possible and not too big of a project but...
The faucet I would tap is in use so it has to remain usable. Also possible as, afaik, it is possible to get a Y connector to the faucet which allows you to use it as regular while still allowing the RO system to tap into it.

So if that all works, the last remaining obstacle is the size of the RO system.

I did a little (basic) research on RO systems and ended up eyeing a "direct-flow RO system" which would allow me to filter the water the same time I draw it from the faucet, basically real-time.
These systems are quite pricey however and would run me a few hundred.

Maybe if you or someone else could help me match the size/type of RO system, I could get away with a cheaper one that just continuously, slowly filters and drips into my res.

As it stands I was thinking if I install an RO system, I might as well shell out a few hundred to go with a direct flow system because then I can also use RO water for other stuff around the house, as well as my veg chamber (which I would continue to water by hand through a submersible pump in the res).

Basically the RO system (if not direct flow) would have to filter/produce enough RO water to cover the watering needs of my veg chamber and the 2 flowering chambers on Blumats. Not sure what size RO filter I would need for that.

Another drawback of the "regular" (i.e. not direct flow) RO systems to me, seemed the question of "when/how do I shut it off?". Meaning how do I make sure that it doesn't produce too much RO water and my res overflows?

My research informed me that there are workarounds using magnet couplings and the like but it seemed to me that with a direct flow RO system, this whole shabang also gets solved much easier. Basically you can run it on a timer and that's it.

Another reason I didn't pull the trigger on an RO filter yet is that my result with well-water was actually worse than my result with the hard tap water. That might have other reasons though.

Anyway:
RO is definitely next on the list for adjustments, provided that the soil mix works out. I went with the krill meal after all and cross my fingers now that it will do the trick fine.

Last edited by bigbadbiddy; 09-24-2018 at 10:23 AM..

Old 09-24-2018, 08:12 PM #78
HBF

I'm not really an R.O. Master of any renown, I owned one for years and still do, that I just leaned into a corner and clipped the two output hoses to a barrel that I monitored manually, and then we moved outside Sacramento, and had rain to harvest all winter.

It rains pretty big from the Pacific over there.

Something that comes to mind is have you checked online for the the minerals generally, in the water?

If you know that you can steer away from what's already in excess. Maybe not much, but at least you'd know what you were ducking.

There's the tap water company, they put up water testing results every six months or so, whatever the requirements are for them to meet standards,

then there are the local county people who keep track of the wells, somebody else might remember what the various agencies are called I'm stonerin' it.

There is one good thing about an r.o. system and it's that the little 1/4" hoses are real tough, and they're pretty small, so they can be routed fairly easily.

Maybe it's time for another reverse osmosis thread. It wouldn't hurt to ask people in the equipment forums what kind of setups they all use.

There used to be some people who could go on at length about ro systems here and it was very clear when they talked about them, I remember, or it seemed to me that way at the time.

I didn't participate I was just reading along what they were saying.

Anyway I see what your water problems are, I hope some kind of slick fix presents itself for ya later,

I gotta go work on ops a.k.a. other people's stuff. Not pot growing LoL just - stuff

Peace
HBF is online now Quote

Old 09-24-2018, 10:53 PM #79
HBF

That was supposed to have read,

"I hope some kind of slick fix presents itself for ya. Later, I gotta go to work..."

Peace
HBF is online now Quote

Old 09-25-2018, 09:34 AM #80
bigbadbiddy

Peace HBF and thanks for the feedback.

I had done a previous post a year or so ago, asking for people to help me find the right RO system but didn't get much feedback.

Gonna get this thing rolling again for now with the tap water.

As far as I know it is just very heavy in Calcium and otherwise fine.

I looked at my soil bin yesterday and was a bit distraught because all the worms I had put in after mixing had tried to flee the medium. Clumped up in little balls in the corners of the tarp I put on top to prevent just that (and from other stuff to get into the soil).

I first thought I had somehow messed up the soil mix again but then dug into the soil and realized it was way too dry...
Simply hadn't watered it enough after mixing (guess my back was hurting/too tired lol).

So anyway, I watered the soil good and kicked all the worms back in and haven't seen one since. A few of the worms had also (pre watering again) dug deeper into the few areas that were wet enough.
Now that I thoroughly watered a second time, the worms seem to be off to do their important jobs.

I expect some mycelium buildup today or tomorrow.

End of the week or next I will pop the seeds for the next round.

I was selected for some new testers from MRN but alas they haven't arrived yet.

Pending their arrival, the strains for the coming grow are:
- Karma Squad Crumbled Lime
- Karma Squad King Mamba

If the testers get here in time, they will be the third strain. If they don't, I am debating between my 20 year old Nirvana PurePowerPlant seeds, Shit from MRN, Zamaldelica from Ace or Blueberry or SweetSkunk from PeakseedsBC.

The soil mix I ended up with:

Roughly 1/1/1 (~20L each) mix of:
- Peat moss
- EWC
- Perlite

Amended with 1 1/2 to 2 cups each of:
- Krill meal
- Kelp meal
- Neemcake
- Basalt
- Bentonite
- Lavameal
- Mycos on Vermiculite
- Oyster Shell flour
- Dolomite lime

Seeds will be popped in jiffy plugs, then transferred to 1 gallon veg pots in the above soil mix, vegging under 400w MH.

Will top them often and early this time around as I previously only topped once or twice and the plants never filled in the growspace/canopy completely. Always grew too tall with big bud sites at the top and lots of larf at the bottom (even after defoliating before and during flower).

So this time I will likely top them first time when they are a week or two in their veg pots and then top again several times.
I expect about a month or two of veg time (in the past I have vegged 2 months each time without topping/training enough, was just getting the hang of it and experimenting with it, had never done it before).

They will then go into 5 gallon pots in flower under 630 and 315 w CMH (the 630 being more red and the 315 more blue spectrum).

I might install a trellis netting and the blumats for the first time this flower or go with bamboo sticks and plant ties again while handwatering, as I did in the past.

Will keep you all updated, for now the soil cooks and the worms are working and we wait for the testers to arrive.

Cheers for everyone, their help and feedback.

All the best

BBB