Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > General Gardening > We grow vegetable gardens too! Post your Garden pics here

Thread Title Search
Click for great deals at MB Ferts
We grow vegetable gardens too! Post your Garden pics here Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-26-2018, 08:24 AM #741
Ignignokt

Ignignokt is a glorious beacon of lightIgnignokt is a glorious beacon of lightIgnignokt is a glorious beacon of lightIgnignokt is a glorious beacon of lightIgnignokt is a glorious beacon of lightIgnignokt is a glorious beacon of lightIgnignokt is a glorious beacon of lightIgnignokt is a glorious beacon of lightIgnignokt is a glorious beacon of lightIgnignokt is a glorious beacon of lightIgnignokt is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Dopesmoker View Post
All my potato leaf tomatoes suffered terribly during the heart of summer with all the heavy heat and direct sunlight. The regular ones with the more numerous and less bulky leaflets would wilt when the sunlight was hammering them, but they never got sunburn and started dying from the top down like most of my potato leaf ones did.
Based on this observation I decided that potato leaf tomato plants are the indica/WLD plants of the tomato world and regular looking tomato plants are the sativas.
You may be onto something there

Last year none of my tomatoes did very well at all but Brandywine was the worst, zero tomatoes.
The summer here is just too hot, i'm still learning but i realize i need to germinate them inside and plant them out much earlier.
Ignignokt is online now Quote

Old 09-11-2018, 09:52 PM #742
PDX Dopesmoker

PDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignignokt View Post
You may be onto something there

Last year none of my tomatoes did very well at all but Brandywine was the worst, zero tomatoes.
The summer here is just too hot, i'm still learning but i realize i need to germinate them inside and plant them out much earlier.
When I lived in Tucson I grew my tomatoes under a big burlap shade because being out in the direct summer sunlight in the desert was too much for them.

I caught this bumble bee queen on my lobelias yesterday, but didn't manage to get too decent a photo of her.
PDX Dopesmoker is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:07 AM #743
PDX Dopesmoker

PDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant future
It always kinda bugs me a little when people brag about how they got "purps" when they have green buds with a few purple leaf tips and what little purple was on the flowers is long gone after its trimmed. Maybe you could honestly call the trim-run hash purple, but thats about it.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:12 AM #744
Ignignokt

Ignignokt is a glorious beacon of lightIgnignokt is a glorious beacon of lightIgnignokt is a glorious beacon of lightIgnignokt is a glorious beacon of lightIgnignokt is a glorious beacon of lightIgnignokt is a glorious beacon of lightIgnignokt is a glorious beacon of lightIgnignokt is a glorious beacon of lightIgnignokt is a glorious beacon of lightIgnignokt is a glorious beacon of lightIgnignokt is a glorious beacon of light
I should have some true black tomatoes soon....

Old 09-16-2018, 06:49 PM #745
St. Phatty

St. Phatty has a reputation beyond reputeSt. Phatty has a reputation beyond reputeSt. Phatty has a reputation beyond reputeSt. Phatty has a reputation beyond reputeSt. Phatty has a reputation beyond reputeSt. Phatty has a reputation beyond reputeSt. Phatty has a reputation beyond reputeSt. Phatty has a reputation beyond reputeSt. Phatty has a reputation beyond reputeSt. Phatty has a reputation beyond reputeSt. Phatty has a reputation beyond repute
Just put some figs in the oven at 170 F, to dry. As soon as the oven gets up to temp, I turn it off, and let the figs sit in there for an hour. Do that a few times a day for about 4 days and I have, really good dry figs.

Last year I had figs in time to take advantage of a sun drier, just shelves of stainless mesh with a cover to keep the wasps off. This year, it's already in the 70's and if I put figs in the sun, I think it would be a slow-drying low-yielding mess that in the end would be fed to the chickens.
St. Phatty is online now Quote

Old 09-21-2018, 07:05 AM #746
PDX Dopesmoker

Here are a couple better photos of another bumble bee queen visiting my lobelias.

This tomato variety is called Paul Robeson and that dank 14 ounce fruit (wet weight) is from my private tomato stash.

I OD'd on tomatoes once, ate like 5 pounds of really tasty ones and got a stomach ache from some kind of nightshade poisoning, so its a potentially dangerous plant.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:45 AM #747
Ignignokt

Paul Robeson tomato seems to have great reviews.
It was one of the varieties i was considering but i didn't end up getting them....
The Bumblebee looks huge.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:06 AM #748
PDX Dopesmoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignignokt View Post
Paul Robeson tomato seems to have great reviews.
It was one of the varieties i was considering but i didn't end up getting them....
The Bumblebee looks huge.
I'm saving some seeds from the Paul Robeson for next summer and I'm thinking about trying to learn to breed tomatoes. Paul was probably my best one this summer, Old German was pretty good too. If I'm gonna grow tomatoes and its not too much more effort, it seems like in the long run going to the trouble of making and growing out your own tomato crosses (or however it works) could end up making the whole exercise a lot more amusing than just growing out familiar commercial types every year.

Old 09-21-2018, 12:00 PM #749
Ignignokt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Dopesmoker View Post
I'm saving some seeds from the Paul Robeson for next summer and I'm thinking about trying to learn to breed tomatoes. Paul was probably my best one this summer, Old German was pretty good too. If I'm gonna grow tomatoes and its not too much more effort, it seems like in the long run going to the trouble of making and growing out your own tomato crosses (or however it works) could end up making the whole exercise a lot more amusing than just growing out familiar commercial types every year.
It is a little more finicky than herb but nothing too extreme.
I have only tried once but it was too hot and the emasculated flowers i tried to pollinate just fell off, i'm going to try again this year.
There are some easy to follow guides on youtube.

Old 09-24-2018, 12:44 PM #750
rod58

rod58 has a reputation beyond reputerod58 has a reputation beyond reputerod58 has a reputation beyond reputerod58 has a reputation beyond reputerod58 has a reputation beyond reputerod58 has a reputation beyond reputerod58 has a reputation beyond reputerod58 has a reputation beyond reputerod58 has a reputation beyond reputerod58 has a reputation beyond reputerod58 has a reputation beyond repute
man , i just love this time of year ..spring is springing !
the vege garden has produced all we can eat throughout summer and autumn and now i'm in the throes of spring planting .
this area sits on 11 metres of pure sand dune , very alkaline as well . i know the depth as i drilled a bore , best thing is that i have bountiful fresh water ..
rod58 is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.