What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Aloe/water foliar spray during flowering...?...

This is my first time growing...All my plants are around 5+ weeks into flowering....

Just curious if it's safe to give them a foliar spray/rinse with water and aloe? Or just water alone?

Where I live the humidity is pretty low during the day still (15% to 25%) with temps in the 80s, so I figure there isn't much risk for mold/fungi/rot, the plants dry off pretty quickly.

Some of my plants are already frosted...a mild aloe solution won't harm the trichomes or the aroma/taste, will it? I won't be spraying the buds directly but no doubt they'll get wet.

I've given them a foliar spray with aloe once a week or so through out the summer while they were in veg but I stopped since they've been forming buds....I mostly want to do this just to give my plants a good "rinse down" before they're deeper into flowering/closer to harvest and before the air is cooler & more moist.

It's really dusty around my area and there's been a lot of smoke in the air this summer from fires...so my plants have a decent bit of dust and air borne crap built up on them.

.....is giving the plants a "rinse" like this something really silly and pointless to do(?). They look so much greener when their leafs aren't caked in dust/ash/etc lol.

I've seen some folks claim that they foliar feed all through out flowering....others claim that once the plants start to form buds that they should never ever be sprayed with anything....

So...just wondering what ya'll have to say...and if a mild aloe solution is ok?

TicTac

I highly recommend washing your bud at harvest,no joke. After finding out about this and trying it, I love the results,wouldn't think of harvest without washing. I would recommend Doc Buds 4 bucket method, ( given credit as the originator can be found on 420) it leaves your bud plump clean and the smoke seems to be smoother. Extra work but its worth it to me. Happy Smoking!

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
I highly recommend washing your bud at harvest,no joke. After finding out about this and trying it, I love the results,wouldn't think of harvest without washing. I would recommend Doc Buds 4 bucket method, ( given credit as the originator can be found on 420) it leaves your bud plump clean and the smoke seems to be smoother. Extra work but its worth it to me. Happy Smoking!

Most of us wanna be able to cultivate purely clean meds that if analytically tested won't come up for any sort of contamination. Is the method your speaking of comply with organic cultivation and free of any toxin? Thx in advance!

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
This is my first time growing...All my plants are around 5+ weeks into flowering....

Just curious if it's safe to give them a foliar spray/rinse with water and aloe? Or just water alone?

Where I live the humidity is pretty low during the day still (15% to 25%) with temps in the 80s, so I figure there isn't much risk for mold/fungi/rot, the plants dry off pretty quickly.

Some of my plants are already frosted...a mild aloe solution won't harm the trichomes or the aroma/taste, will it? I won't be spraying the buds directly but no doubt they'll get wet.

I've given them a foliar spray with aloe once a week or so through out the summer while they were in veg but I stopped since they've been forming buds....I mostly want to do this just to give my plants a good "rinse down" before they're deeper into flowering/closer to harvest and before the air is cooler & more moist.

It's really dusty around my area and there's been a lot of smoke in the air this summer from fires...so my plants have a decent bit of dust and air borne crap built up on them.

.....is giving the plants a "rinse" like this something really silly and pointless to do(?). They look so much greener when their leafs aren't caked in dust/ash/etc lol.

I've seen some folks claim that they foliar feed all through out flowering....others claim that once the plants start to form buds that they should never ever be sprayed with anything....

I'm also curious of this technique?

CrushnYuba

I usually wash all my stuff down at this time of year. The red clay dust gets bad. Once they get to frosted, you can't do much.
I don't know about aloe. I have never used it on plants. I don't know what you use it for. Maybe skip it if it doesn't have a real purpous.

But go ahead and hose them down. I would do it in the early afternoon. So the sun can dry them out real good before it gets cold and dark.

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Never heard of the '4 bucket method', but I've been using water dips for years. I started it to fight mites, but even when I have none I'll still dip plants because they love it so much. And yes, you can dip plants that are covered in trichomes and it won't reduce the potency.

Double dipping with a strong soap and/or neem solution followed by a water rinse always seems to show signs of foliar feeding, probably from the P in the soap.

I don't have experience with aloe-water as a foliar spray, but I'd guess that it would be safe as long as not so concentrated that it clogs stomatas and chokes the plant. Of course, you could always double dip if you weren't sure.

I think the temperature of the water is important. I'm afraid that cold could possibly knock trichomes off, so I make it at least luke warm.

Even if you don't want to get into dipping, I think it's quite safe to spray the heck out of those dusty ladies with water. In fact, I'm sure they'll love it. Good luck!

mack 10

Veteran
I foliar my plants all through flower.
Just spray at low light levels.

Mold comes from the buds not being able to transpire (sweat)
From being to dense.
Not from water.

If your growing the oldstyle indica with massive head bud,
Beware.

Ditch the Aloe. Give them a top to bottom rinse with clean water using a pump sprayer. Put the fans on them until dry.
I've done a harvest rinse. first about 3 gallons of water 1 cup pure lemon or pure lime juice. second quick rinse in clean water. Hang with fans for 30 min. then dry and cure as usual. I think the citric acid helps keep the green well into cure.

TicTac

Never heard of the '4 bucket method', but I've been using water dips for years. I started it to fight mites, but even when I have none I'll still dip plants because they love it so much. And yes, you can dip plants that are covered in trichomes and it won't reduce the potency.

Double dipping with a strong soap and/or neem solution followed by a water rinse always seems to show signs of foliar feeding, probably from the P in the soap.

I don't have experience with aloe-water as a foliar spray, but I'd guess that it would be safe as long as not so concentrated that it clogs stomatas and chokes the plant. Of course, you could always double dip if you weren't sure.

I think the temperature of the water is important. I'm afraid that cold could possibly knock trichomes off, so I make it at least luke warm.

Even if you don't want to get into dipping, I think it's quite safe to spray the heck out of those dusty ladies with water. In fact, I'm sure they'll love it. Good luck!

Gave the wrong impression I don't know that its the "4 bucket method" the method I like best involves 4- 5 gal. buckets.
1st bucket 3:1 water-3% hydrogen peroxide , dip and agitate branch 30sec. or so
2nd bucket 1/2cup baking soda+1\2cup lemon juice warm water repeat agitation
3rd and 4th buckets each contain clean water repeat dipping in last 2 buckets and hang to dry. Personally I trim before bud is dry and finish them in hanging basckets

-

Why the hell would anyone put aloe on cannabis plants?

Honestly, I'm not even sold on foliar feeding during veg, let alone during flowering.

If you build proper soil, it WILL have enough to feed these plants throughout it's entire life cycle.
I mean that.

Sure, I give them a mild dose of Tiger Bloom around the 2nd week of flowering, but even at half-strength, I see some tips dry up and brown.
Less is more. If you have good living soil, that's got a nice organic fertilizer in it, your plants will have all they need.

When cannabis flowers, it's really sensitive to any kind of environmental changes -especially in the soil.

With mold season in full swing, and delicate flowers going strong... why would you consider foliar anything?

The most common mistake growers make is loving their plants to death.
-over-feeding
-over-watering
-too much pruning too late into flowering
-overthinking sunlight and moving plants around
-early harvesting

Take a deep breath, allow yourself to carefully observe them at different points in the day.

Careful observation is the very best learning tool in growing anything.
They will tell you what they need, if anything at all.

Mostly, they just need to be watched and allowed to grow like they want to during flowering.

Latest posts

Latest posts