What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sealed grow room in cellar

Barbrady

I'm not sure its the proper way for my question to open a new thread,but honestly i never was a too active member on any forums, i just googled th information i need but now i planing to built my first sealed grow room and i haven't found similar setups like the one in my mind. But i would be happy if guys or girls whose has more experience with setup like thiis would add a few thought where im wrong etc.

So my idea is to use my wine cellar end for the project, it has a very high humidity obviously. The temperiture is about 15°C in the hottest days of the summer,in the winter if its really cold it can drop to 5°C. I would make a room out of OSB boards(8 or 10mm thick),two layers an d beetwen them rockwool for insulation. Strong white foliage on the inside wall to make sure nothing goes in or out.The size of the room would be 3m x 3m and 2.2m in height. For the first run i would use two 600w hps with cooltubes and the cooltubes would be ducted from one and to the nother so it could vent out most of the heat. I'm gonna setup a 3.2kw split clima but i hope its not going to run too much, so theres gonna be a dehumidifier with 16l/day capacity.If heating needed i have a 2.7kw oil radiator with a thermostat. For the smell i planing to use an 1500m3/h carbon filter on a dimmable 2500m3/h fan. For the co2 i would use a standard timer to dose when the lights on. Whats y'all opinions on this setup? is it overthinked a bit or im gonna have problems with the heat, humidity or anything im not thought about?

I think that dehumidifier may be on the small side. Only one way to find out for sure though, and that's by give it a go and find out.

troutman

Seed Whore
It may be better to build a sealed grow room on the floor directly above the cellar.
Then run a venting system into the cellar and use it as a lung room to cool down
your grow room.

Cellars are designed to be cool and have lots of humidity.
To use a dehumidifier would be a waste or electric power.
Kind of like setting a water pump in the ocean to drain it.

EcoNepenthe

Continue Researching

Continue Researching

Greetings:
I like your interest in beginning to grow. While researching your project might I suggest, for lighting, that you look into LED quantum boards (QBs). Myself, I use LED COBs (COBs ROCK!!!), which became popular just before QBs. W/LEDs one has better environment control, much less heat output, which allows closer light to canopy and deeper penetration. Not that it matters to most growers, but less electrical use vs HID. Did I mention dimmable lighting, ability to set sunrise/sunset settings.
I use IlightsIN app for timer and dimming settings. There are many on ICMag who go deeper into the specs and mechanics of LED COB/QBs. Myself, I just use them and LOVE the results. Do a Youtube search for LED COBs and QBs (Greengenes and GrowMau5 are my mentors), note the setups and results. YT, I'm Homegrown365
If one is making the commitment/investment in a grow setup....then know all your options. Just a thought.

Eco
Stay Safe!!!
Success w/ya grow!!! :canabis:

Last edited:

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
^^what he (troutman) said^^
headbanger.gif

Last edited:

Iffy

Nil Illegitimus Carburundum
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi BarBrady,

I'm with Troutman on this. I would deffo use the lung-room principle. Don't be surprised by problematic temps in the summer, as you'll be drawing warm air in over your lights and the heat just builds.

Peace and happy growing.
Regards,
Iffy :tiphat:

Barbrady

Thank you for your respond, I thought about leds also but for the first run with this sealed project i would stick to hps bc i have a few years of experience with them.But I need to move my tent out of sight and the back of the cellar would be much more managable on the heat question i guess.

Barbrady

My idea was that the temperature in the cellar always will be cooler than any other rooms in the building. And i planned the ducting way up to the building because if i let it out directly in the chimneys of the cellar its going to be a big red flag for the guy who sits behind the FLIR on the blue chopper which tend to fly over in close range my area..My main concern is the humidity,the reason i never dare to setup simple growtents down the cellar. You guys think its not possible to completely exclude the air from the cellar?

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Sure it's possible, if you can pull air from the celler and into duckting into the building upstairs.

It should not be a problem to run a sealed room, uneffected by the humid air in the rest of the celler. And let a dehumidifyer and AC take care of the climacontroll, inside the grow room. I have added a Mylar moisture barriere on each side of the Rockwool insulation, in my walls to my grow room.
Flir is not a joke, I was busted once and they had Flir pics of my op.
IMO it's a good idea to mask your heat signature at much as possible, better to be safe then sorry!

Iffy

Nil Illegitimus Carburundum
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The dreaded FLIR

The dreaded FLIR

Flir is not a joke, I was busted once and they had Flir pics of my op.
IMO it's a good idea to mask your heat signature at much as possible, better to be safe then sorry!

WISDOM!
Never underestimate your opponent!

I spent £1,500 on the 7 layers of MDF & high-tech, heat-proof sheeting which went into the roof of my loftie and I believe it was money well spent. Last winter when the snow was thick, people were getting busted all over town, as the lights just melted the snow off their roofs and everyone knew what they were doing. My roof was identical to those around, covered in snow!
It's the first time you get caught and tagged mate, after that the bastards won't leave you alone, so do all in your power to slip nicely under the radar.

I'm 61 years old today and I've been growing since 1979. Never been caught and I'm a complete unknown, being a 'pillar' of my local community - lol :biggrin:

I suggest you adopt a similar attitude Bar Brady if you're in this for the long run!

Peace and happy growing!
Regards,
Iffy :tiphat: