What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Super smelly! Need help!

smokinowl

I'm about halfway through flowering and the smell is pretty intense. I have an ona block next to the door to my closet (where it is) but t doesn't seem to be enough.

My parent knows about the grow- they advocate it for medical issues which is why I grow and they allow me to grow but... they are extremely paranoid by nature and can swear they can smell my plants by the front door on the other side of the house. They are threatening to force me to stop all together!!

I can't smell it at all unless I open the door. (I think they smell when I smoke, not the plants.)

Would some sort of air purifier with a carbon filter in it or an oil diffuser/combo of both help in my room?

Bobby Boucher

51345520.jpg

'cept don't diffuse oil or any other deodorants in your closet. Use those around the house every day and you should be fine.

Seal your closet better and stop opening the door.

FirstTracks

natural medicator
Veteran
First off, I don't know if you're in a legal state in a gated community or in the middle of a city in Nebraska, but having uncontrolled smell from plants all over a house that is shared puts everyone inside at risk.

Sounds like your parents are being very gracious, allowing you to grow in their house, and are trusting you to be an adult about it and handle it. If they say they can smell it, probably trust them. Guessing you've been so close to it that you're nose blind to it.

Wouldn't personally go with the ozone gen if OP has health issues and lives with parents. Wouldn't want to be breathing that in all the time. To each, their own, though.

A carbon filter with a fan attached is the tried and true method. Have you lined the room with plastic to seal in the smell or anything? Maybe try doing an interior door out of plastic. You could use a hole in it as your exhaust port if sealed up to your exhaust ducting.

Trying to figure out what you're working with here to make helping easier. What do you have going on inside the closet? (space, lighting, etc.)

Even if you just got a little 6" fan and filter setup, it could significantly reduce smells. That's something like $200 for a huge increase in stealth and security. Ona gel is kind of like a quick backup if your filters go own in a power outage.

smokinowl

Thanks for all your input!

My setup is a 300w LED grow light in soil (switching to hydro) and my closet is a walk-in so I just use one half side for my stuff with plastic mats down. I was thinking of sealing off that side into something more seperate. Like plywood full separation or some form of plastic sheeting.

I didn't think 2 small plants would need more smell control!

I asked my friends that I smoke with if they ever smell weed in the house even in my room and they say no.

I don't have something with an exauhst to put carbon scrubbers on, and my lighting means a grow cabinet would have to be huge. I have to keep it 18-20 in from the top of the plant or I'll burn the absolute shit out of it.

Would idk a diy carbon filter attached to a box or desk fan in the closet help??

Rn I am spraying Lysol in my room every time I open the door- I had gotten lazy with that for a while but it's worked p good. That disinfectant hospital smell overpowers most anything to me.

Maybe I shouldn't have gone with skunk #1 for my first grow lol. But hey, work with freebies first!

And in case anyone was interested the second plant is a power Africa. Beautiful- and tripled in height with the flowering stretch!

My harvest goal date is estimated to be mid next month- around 15-20th.

Almost as much as how much this beautiful plant helps me with managing my medical needs I honestly just really love it for growing! it's fulfilling in a way, getting towards that end goal is so exciting.

smokinowl

Oh and the space available in the closet is probably 4ft by 3ft to the ceiling, maybe a little less. Lights off rn so I'm not going double check my estimation lol.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
A DIY carbon filter in the cabinet is better than nothing. Seal the area as best as possible, and try to figure out where it is leaking. I have Brightair air freshners which are pretty heavy duty. Put one in the cabinet, and in rooms that it is leaking into. Hang sheets or blankets over doorways where it is leaking through. Open doors slowly to not suck smell out. For cracks, home depot sells something called finger tip caulk, which is basically strings of clay that you push into cracks.

smokinowl

Not in a cabinet. Was thinking a desk fan connected to a cheap diy aquarium carbon thing in the closet to reduce smell inside the closet itself.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
For future runs you can also pick your strains according to smell. Check out and research Bodhi's "Old School Hashplant" as it uses the PNW Hashplant mom in that cross. That old cut is said to be used for it's absence of smell. :2cents:

GainGreene

Spray your house AC filter with some febreese, how often to be determined by you, so when the AC/heat kicks on it will spread that smell around the house. If someone is coming over time to make a pot roast or if in a pinch you can over cook some popcorn smells like burnt turd in around 3mins. Also you can boil some cinnamon sticks and orange pieces or apples as well. Just some quick things you can do if someone stops by.

cravin morehead

Veteran
go buy a real carbon filter and a real fan and don't try to cheap out on your parents freedom. they're cool enough to risk everything they've worked their whole lives for. show some respect and man up and take care of it now. if you can't do that, shut down until you mature enough to risk your own freedom and investment.
c'mon dude

cm

St. Phatty

A tablespoon of pesto in the frying pan is a great smell generator.

Even in a med state, civil asset forfeiture's happen.

"All your homes belong to us"

that actually happens.

Bobby Boucher

go buy a real carbon filter and a real fan and don't try to cheap out on your parents freedom.

"All your homes belong to us"

If your house stinks like dope, if you don't have locks on your bedroom and closet door, if your nutes and tools are lying around etc, your parents don't really have any wiggle room for plausible deniability, and their assets will probably be seized.

Also, assuming you are still at a tender age, and that you are going to fall in love with this hobby and continue growing dope, somebody might as well tell you now that there are no friends. You can go ahead and try and buddy buddy with folks, but it's only human nature for people to take advantage of you. All the little twerps you hang out with now are probably the last people that you are going to want to know what is going on a few years down the line when they turn to booze and drugs or get busted being idiots while you are trying to get your money right.

Get yourself an HID and a proper carbon scrubber and enjoy your new hobby. And seriously, tell no one. If you already told some teenagers, you might as well move out of town or stop growing. Your parents house, which they have undoubtedly worked their entire lives for, is at stake.

Edit** AND I would stay the hell away from any cannabis forum other than icmag. Contrary to popular belief, stoners are generally NOT competent at engineering anything other than pipes and bongs, and even then, I've seen more shoddy work than not..

Theres a reason most of us are pudgy middle aged blue collar men. Without a med card, we gotta safely run our own electrical, plumbing, hvac, etc. Growing is a big f'n liability even when everything is installed correctly. There is a lot of water, electricity, and often gas involved in growing, all of which can be lethal all on their own, not to mention that they are all sworn enemies to begin with. Don't take advice from morons. We have qualified professionals lurking these forums.

If you knew how many idiots are out there burning their parents houses down you would buckle down and do enough research to know already how to deal with things like odor. Read the stickies. All of 'em.

Last edited:

smokinowl

Again thanks for all your input even if it's a little harsh.

Lucky for me I'm a reclusive homeschooled shut in that doesn't like people so I have all of 2 friends and one of them had weed first by a good few years lol. So I'm p low profile.

Again, thanks guys :)