What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

WHERE WOULD YOU LIVE/MOVE AND WHY?

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You are 60+ and living in an illegal state way down South and you love it there. You have major health problems, have been the recipient of a "FAILED OPEN HEART SURGERY ( the originating source of the unbelievable pain that this person lives with, at least that's the theory from other surgeons who say this person just has to bite on the rubber hose all day)(paraphrase on the hose) and for several years now live with intractable pain that require narcotics to deal with ( you have found a way to minimize the use of these drugs via cannabis and have in fact been successful in reducing the narcotics intake by 75% ( LESS, 75% LESS than prescribed ) But you still require them and the pills only take the edge off the pain which is nightmarish to the sufferer.

You are not rich but you've got enough to pay cash for a house and still have some money in the bank, enough stashed to take care of the wife even if you drop dead today and your wife is 25 years younger than you so you've really done pretty good covering her future and she takes care of you as if you were King and has been doing so for nearly 20 years. You secretly had a plan to save as much as possible, forgoing the new vette etc until you reached a level of savings that you felt comfortable with knowing that if you kicked the bucket, the love of your life would never have to worry about money unless she wanted to. She could mourn, stay put, sell the house and land and move to wherever, and have enough to live on if she's smart for the rest of her life.

You realize though how dangerous it is in this particular Southern state which is voting on medical weed this November having failed to pass it the last time despite the fact legalizing for medical actually received a small majority of votes but needed a slightly larger majority in which to pass and that's also despite virtually ZERO positive press on the west coast of this place although there's been some on the east coast. You have not been able to drive a car for several months because of blackouts from the pain. You are absolutely fked and your Wife will do anything to help and I mean anything, she's a dream come true but now you need to consider all consequences especially for her. Do you continue taking the risks in this state or move to a legal state even though even if you move to Hawaii it will be colder than where you have been for nearly 30 years and love it.

I guess money should be a big consideration. Figure this person has 7 figures saved with the 1st digit very close to being a 2 b ut still just a tad less than a 2 so Beverly Hills ain't possible ha!

This person while normally very independent and has built a business over a quarter of a century ago that still exists today and will do so thruout retirement ( easy peasy with Wife handling all with the exception of the communications on the most esoteric of items sold ) feels like shit over having to make this decision, to leave the homeland because of pain, plant etc. But at this point would at least like to see what others would consider doing if they are/have been or know someone in a similar position.

You all helped me with feedback when I lost my best friend to cancer a while back. Several took great risks in getting small quantities to him directly and thank G-d it all made it there every time without a hitch. There was also a good deal of helpful suggestions ( for all of us, the fellow who died, his Family, me, etc ) and what seemed to be a lot of love and compassion ( another positive that weed people, not all but in general have, moreso, much moreso than average in my opinion ).

Thank you in advance for any help, tips, personal experiences, etc. Really, thank you from both of us :thank you: :tiphat:

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
I'd recommend Asheville, NC for a lot of reasons:

It's still the South only kooler, better weather, lower cost of living than a lot of other places, people are just plain NICE, pot's OK as long as you're discreete, wifey would love Asheville.:tiphat::tiphat:

I used to live in Fla too.
Have to agree with Cosgig. The Carolinas are the ticket, was for me anyway. Less people, more country, and LEO has "started" to turn a blind eye to Cannabis in minor quantities. Unless of course, your cartel growing. Cos lives in NC, I live in SC and SC is still tougher than NC is right now, but they catching up. MMJ legal here but only in oil for the most critical cases (kids only) .
Good luck in your quest. We were (me and the wife) in a similar situation. When I was forced into retirement in my early 40s due to severe arthritis in my spine. This left us unable to live in FLA due to lack of funds. Much more affordable here.

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
if i could then Mayfair so i could walk to Selfridges and Fortnum and Mason and do our shopping lol but i need a 30 mil lottery win first,,
been to California and las Vegas,,,,
near my mates was a place called Laguna i think,,,that had a lot of nice houses,,,near the beach as well if i remember correctly? but i lot of money i believe for a home there,,,,
my mate lived in Saddleback Capistrano or was that his first address???lol,, sorry i am very baked and memorys "playing up",,pesky 50+ yrs olds lol but it seemed a nice area,,
if i had to move to the usa then New England seems very nice and i really loved that place in big Arnies "kindergarden cop",,,,
that seemed a beautiful little place,,,,,picket fences and stuff,,kinda how i imagined the "real" US,,,,,

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
What's another couple months of risk? I would at least wait to see what happens with the election before deciding to move. It will become legal in more states even if MMJ doesn't pass in Florida.

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What's another couple months of risk? I would at least wait to see what happens with the election before deciding to move. It will become legal in more states even if MMJ doesn't pass in Florida.

Oh for sure, thanks for the input and of course, that was the plan to begin with but I've always been an ( not always that's a lie :biggrin: ) advance planner and beginning an investigation 6 months or so prior to making such a move which believe me I would almost rather plan Russian roulette so to speak because of my health. Such I move would also require the moving of half dozen cats with us so the whole move thing, just the very idea of it is not a positive thing at all. But I think prudence requires some due diligence at least to see that if that's what it all comes down to then start really compiling information at least now, ask some others if they are or were in a similar situation what did they do ( share experience, strength and hope? ) so that in the event it does not happen then at least there's hopefully enough information compiled to make a semi decision. This is real serious and not being taken lightly at all by the way, none of it and nothing could make me happier than to see something positive at the voting booth.

OranguTrump

Crotchety Old Crotch
I was thinking about canada myself... how many lights(1K) can one run comfortably without worry out there? Not sure if the big companies are after home grows like colorado.

Not sure about the lights - my guess is if your bills are paid & you're not stealing the hydro, they probably DGAF.

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Oh for sure, thanks for the input and of course, that was the plan to begin with but I've always been an ( not always that's a lie :biggrin: ) advance planner and beginning an investigation 6 months or so prior to making such a move which believe me I would almost rather plan Russian roulette so to speak because of my health. Such I move would also require the moving of half dozen cats with us so the whole move thing, just the very idea of it is not a positive thing at all. But I think prudence requires some due diligence at least to see that if that's what it all comes down to then start really compiling information at least now, ask some others if they are or were in a similar situation what did they do ( share experience, strength and hope? ) so that in the event it does not happen then at least there's hopefully enough information compiled to make a semi decision. This is real serious and not being taken lightly at all by the way, none of it and nothing could make me happier than to see something positive at the voting booth.

I moved here in 2010 with my 2 cats and wife (at the time). We had most of our stuff and her car shipped cross country, then we drove my car from Orlando to Fremont with the cats in the back seat. That was a difficult move in our mid 30s with no health problems.

I'd consider moving back someday if weed is legalized. Medical legalization is the first step. My whole family is still in Florida. It's a great place to live overall. The weed freedom here is priceless, but the Bay Area is obscenely expensive and crowded.

I don't know enough to make recommendations, but the cheaper areas in California might be worth looking into. I could never retire here (San Jose) personally.

Skinny Leaf

Veteran
Tudo, look into New Mexico. Very sparsely populated state. Wide range of climates from the south to the north.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Tudo, I'm with you but when/if the bill passes in Nov, it will again, unfortunately, like it is today, a no grow bill. NC seems most reasonable to me and possibly you because:
YOURE FROM FLORIDA! It's too fuckin cold almost everywhere else you might go (someone said CAs gonna go soon...naa). NewMexico has some of the most liberal MMJ laws.. but land locked, like Arizona, both warmer possibilities.Work it any way you can but live in FL and snowbird to NC.

Sell the biz?
CA??? maybe in the desert?? I've considered: Palm springs, Yucca Valley, Desert Hot Springs maybe.. at least its not too cold but no water..

FirstTracks

natural medicator
Veteran
Sounds like you have enough savings to move to Spain, run your business remotely, and live a relaxed life. I feel like they have plenty of warm weather there.

Slipnot

I was thinking about canada myself... how many lights(1K) can one run comfortably without worry out there? Not sure if the big companies are after home grows like colorado.

Well ran over 16,000 watts with no problems :) its like anywhere else pay your bills on time .
They do not give a shit :tiphat:

As for me waiting on settlement built a new house and within a couple of years selling everything, plans are to take the couple million and move to someplace like costarica or someother place where i am a god with that much money living on a beach with servants :) fetching me drinks :biggrin:

Slipnot

Well ran over 16,000 watts with no problems :) its like anywhere else pay your bills on time .
They do not give a shit :tiphat:

As for me waiting on settlement built a new house and within a couple of years selling everything, plans are to take the couple million and move to someplace like costarica or someother place where i am a god with that much money living on a beach with servants :) fetching me drinks :biggrin:

been in talks with this property ocean front Costarica
Great retirement 400,000 living in paradise now that is what i am talking about :biggrin:

Attachments

• 421229_10150545186210849_1622802153_n.jpg
    421229_10150545186210849_1622802153_n.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 10
  • costa 2.jpg
    costa 2.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 10
  • costarica1.jpg
    costarica1.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 12

Tynehead Tom

420giveaway

Canada is not all it's cracked up to be if you are at all conservative in your view of government. Our national police force is a crooked as any down south and like to apply Canadian justice how they see fit, not necessarily how it is written. Our justice system releases murderers, rapists, pedophiles and the criminally insane into our communities when they should be locked up for life.
Let's see..... ever increasing gun control on the law abiding but slaps on the wrist and probabtions for drive by shooters and illegal firearms possession..... hmmmmm let's see, what else..... rampant poverty and street drug abuse amongst our most fragile, our mentally ill, who reside on our streets and are dying 2 a day from fentanyl overdoses every day in BC alone. Then there is the total lack of resource spending to bring our aboriginal communities up to the level as the rest of our nation..... all the while swinging the gates wide open for immigration from china, mexico, Indonesia, phillipines and india as well as refugees from sudan, Somalia, Syria, Afghanistan, and the list goes on. Don't even get me started about the government control on inflated property tax and how it's being used in BC to inflate prices and load up government pockets..... fuggen crooks..... blaming it on foreign investors LOL
we are a country full of sheeple so.......

oh shit you asked about growing weed..... best place to do that under the radar is out west. Best place for outdoor climate wise is the west coast below 51N and close to sea level though I hear southern Ontario is not too bad either. BC's southern interior would be pretty killer too but loads of others have that idea too.

as for lights? most "under the radar" grows I know that have been at it unhindered for 20+ years are keeping their usage under what 1 , 40 to 60 amp 220V breaker can provide so 3 to 5 lights plus accessories. Most folks I know shut down july to end of September because in BC, if you don't Ski, July thru September is fun in the sun time ;)

in BC, be smart, pay your bill, control your odor , especially maintain your yard, and don't deal dope from your grow. Don't toke and drive and just blend in like all the Italians and Yugoslavs have, who make their own liquor in their basements and nobody cares because nobody knows LOL

I have been growing indoors and out since , well, about 1989 and while I have had a couple close calls requiring immediate tear down and evacuation of some very large organized grows and a few small 3 lighters. I've never been popped for growing nor have I ever been popped for drugs or alcohol period. Now at my age, I just blend in like all the other folks with a light or 2 or 3 in their basement or backyard shed/RV LOLZ

Slipnot

Actually you can pretty much grow anywhere in Canada and do fairly well when i lived in Quebec i seen more weed grown than any other province in Canada i mean seriously
next door neighbor at the time had 50 tons of marijuana , that was in the process of makin hash when his barn caught on fire . i saw millions of dollars of cocaine being caught at the border which not many even know about lol
Everyone and there dog has a patch growing in Quebec from indoor to out door
there was a montreal kid talking like 20 year old charged with 800 million dollar grow ring where he supplied Florida , New york etc with weed
i was involved with 100 kilo a week smuggling into usa weed that got busted ??
they could not get me but put it this way DEA , FBI , RCMP and police pretty much told me to leave Quebec which i gladly did
Pretty fucking scary when your name is brought up in federal court in another country

I count my self lucky and do not grow in mass numbers any more or get involved with organized crime .
I grow my one plant keep my strain i made alive and stay under the scope

Matter of fact last year had drug crimes unit pay me visit they tore out few trees i had growing , interesting shit let me tell you once they know who you are my advice is keep your nose clean

Attachments

• 68.9 KB · Views: 27