What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Different sized vent setup!?

C

cannaisok

^

Hi friends,
I have a question than I cannot answer myself!
I have one 160mm intakefan, one 160mmCANfilter, one 125mm muffer and another 200mm muffer(is it the right word for a piece that makes ur airflow quieter?).
My setup is like this: Airfilter160mm->Fan160mm->200mm silencer/muffer

Its very quiet now but i can still hear the motorsound coming from the Airfilter!
1. Is it good to put a 125mm muffer between airfilter and fan?
2. Is it maybe better if i put the 200mm muffer between fan and filter and the 125mm at the end?

my fan is a 800 cfm intake and runs at only 20-25%power my filer is 450cfm...

I wanted to do it like case 1. but i cant help myself!
Already read ventilation 101 but am now more confused than before :biggrin:

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
Air is the opposite of rope, it can be pushed easily but resists pulling.

Using different sized diameters in the vents restricts the flow to the lowest number. Since air pushes more efficiently than pulls the smallest diameter should be on the pressure side of the fan to get the most from the system.

I am assuming the parts are what you have and need to make them work as best as can be.

FirstTracks

natural medicator
Veteran
Make sure your intake is big enough. A restrictive intake on a system that size increases noise usually.

You could try muffling your fan itself by putting it in some kind of sound deadening material like a cooler.

Even with mufflers, it must be hard to make a 6" fan silent. Almost always will be some noise.

C

cannaisok

thanx, i was afraid nobody would help me, i have nobody to ask besides this forum and im not even good in writing english :)
so thank you again!
160mmfilter->200mm muffer->160mm fan->125mm muffer is best what i can do with my gear?
Somebody in vent 101 said oposite of what phaeton say. somebody mentioned that outtake has to be bigger than intake but that mekes no sense for me! Inlike fans are mounted right behind the filters in big kitchen and push the air 20feet trough the pipes to the street. That means low resistance befote and high resistance after intake , right?
So i think Phaeton is right isnt he!?!
having a second muffer in 125mm connected to the first 125mm muffer i will have 10feet of 125mm muffers behind the inline, will that be too much of resistance in theory?

i will try it out next week and tell you how it worked out...

C

cannaisok

@FirstTracks
Thanks, I did as you mentioned and put the inline into a cardboardbox filled with old clothes and it worked a bit. about 15% less overall noise.
i´d say 70% of the noise is comind from the airstream. so i guess its 50% reduction in motor-noise!
thats not bad at all!

I tell you later how it will work together with the muffers.

Growing in my country is not legal and I am only growing tomatoes, cucumbers, lots of different herbs and teas and kakti! I got busted a few years back and dont want this to happen again, so i had to quit growing weed and grow food from seed now. then I give the stuff to friends for their outdoor gardens. as a thanks i can smoke as much weed from their gardens as i want without doing illegal shit :)
But they will never stop me growind indoors on organic soilmixes for fun in my flat!!
I still have One little mother clone and a male plant about one foot big and produce my own seeds. every year i cross 2-3 strains this way and produce a handfull seeds for my collection(now is whiterussian x forum cookies=newyear-cookies), cuz one day I will def move to a place where growing weed is legal and then.....

thanks again and have a nice evening!