What's new

Full moon?

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
I see some have already started planting outdoors. I see a full moon on the 21st in a couple weeks. Im thinking of planting then what about the rest of you guys? I will be growing from seed. Also i was wondering if seed plants need to be hardened off at all? they were started inside under a 600 MH. I know they are heartier then clones, but i was thinking about throwing them in the shade outside for a couple days before plugging them in there final homes. Thanks and good luck everyone this season. Looks like it might be the last year of growing outs. till shit comes legal next year, i sure hope it doesn't

FoothillFarming

Got part of mine in yesterday, and Monday I will plug everything else that is ready. My starts are about 2-3 feet tall, and almost 100% sexed at this point.

As for the shade and hardening off, here is a garenteed way not to burn your plants:

1st day: 2 hours direct light, then good shade. Not 10% shade, 100% shade.

Day 2: 4 hours of direct light, then shade.

Day three: 6 hours of light, then shade.

Day four: Full sun

If you have a greenhouse that can change. Cloudy days you don't have to put in shade at all, however watch out for clouds to uncover. This year, I planted my move perfectly during a couple days of rain. (in a greenhouse) I didn't even have to shade my plants at all. No burn what so ever.

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
Last year we planted our seed starts outside on mothers day, they all flowered but one and it was a good one ended up pulling 2 lbs off her

FoothillFarming

I got several deps around the same time as you, maybe a week or two behind.

Flowered on mothers day? Really? What was your light schedule like indoors? Did you match the outdoor photo periods?

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hardening off helps. Some say they plant at new moon, some just before (we do....gravitational pull) full mooni.....just go with your gut!! Shelter those babies and you'll be fine.

Aklways good to not plant all your seeds....then you have some in reserve if they don't germinate.

Once ground temp is 55F.....everything else falls into place.

Good luck!

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
I got several deps around the same time as you, maybe a week or two behind.

Flowered on mothers day? Really? What was your light schedule like indoors? Did you match the outdoor photo periods?

They were 18 hours inside last year and put them out on mothers day, not sure what the difference was with outdoor sun light. they started flowering and just ended up dragging them in the GH and dep'd them out

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
Hardening off helps. Some say they plant at new moon, some just before (we do....gravitational pull) full mooni.....just go with your gut!! Shelter those babies and you'll be fine.

Aklways good to not plant all your seeds....then you have some in reserve if they don't germinate.

Good luck!

The 10 day lows call for anything from 48-52 degrees

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
full moon sounds like the perfect time to plant

going from indoors to outdoors might bleach some leaves but dont worry about hardening them off, the strong ones will do fine.

full moon sounds great, I'm planning on planting outside then as well.
seems like a good transition time switching from supplemental lighting to full sun

Noonin NorCal

Veteran

Good luck!

Ill be growing in Geo Pots, fabric pots. Ground Temp you say? like if i was to be planting in the ground, or you mean just the outside temperature, or even the temp of the soil I'm using? Thanks. The next 10 days highs outside will be 70-78 and the lows are 48-52 degrees

FoothillFarming

They were 18 hours inside last year and put them out on mothers day, not sure what the difference was with outdoor sun light. they started flowering and just ended up dragging them in the GH and dep'd them out

That is your problem. Around here, it is about 14 hours of daylight, give or take. So you took plants that have been vegging for months on 18 hours of light, and put them outside where they would be getting 14. No wonder they flowered right?

That is a huge part of playing the outdoor game, with large starts from indoors.

Me personally, I like to set my indoor schedule to my outdoor light schedule when I plan on putting out the starts. For example, today, early May, 14 hours of light. So when I sprout my seeds indoors in March, I will just set them for 14 hours.

That has helped me tremendously with early flowering. :tiphat:

Lochinvar

yep, 18hrs to 14 hrs would cause just about anything to flower. i get em down to 15 hrs of light 1 month before putting em out. seems to help good luck

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ill be growing in Geo Pots, fabric pots. Ground Temp you say? like if i was to be planting in the ground, or you mean just the outside temperature, or even the temp of the soil I'm using? Thanks. The next 10 days highs outside will be 70-78 and the lows are 48-52 degrees

In the ground 55F, but fabric pots will be close to ambient low temps (estimating around 52) unless you employ a Wall-O-Water type warmer.

They'll do ok....just watch when temps even out and 60's +- are the lows.....then they really take off enjoying the heat!!

Yeah, I've always employed the Farmer's Almanac when planting....or wait until almost full moon allowing gravitational pull.

Plant flowers and vegetables that bear crops above ground during the light, or waxing, of the Moon: from the day the Moon is new to the day it is full.
Plant flowering bulbs and vegetables that bear crops below ground during the dark, or waning, of the Moon: from the day after it is full to the day before it is new again.

Do recall that song from Michael Martin Murphy....Wildfire....
"...By the dark of the moon, I planted".

Works for me, but everyone has their method.

When planting indoors, I don't follow same "rule".

FirstTracks

natural medicator
Veteran
If sowing seed directly, don't you want to be planting during the waxing moon? If so, now is prime time. If you wait until a full moon, it will be waning. Maybe we're talking about transplanting though.