What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vertical Scrog

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Chemdog week 2 flower

picture.php

Chemdog day 1 flower (middle plant)

picture.php

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
This week I only spent a little time in the room. I believe some where about 15 minutes. I have it logged on my board, but I don't remember exactly how much time.

I have been having problems with 2 of the blumats. One I now have running well. The other one I had to replace. Four of the six ran perfectly from the start. The other two did not. I had to back these to off one arrow. Then reflood the pots. This caused one to run extra and I had a small amount of nutrient solution on the floor two days in a row. I tightened this one a quarter turn and have had no problems since. The other one though has not worked right and had to be removed. When these two didn't work right from the start I soaked two new sensors and set them aside as a precaution. Well today I put one in the grow to replace the one that has not been working. On the off chance that the removed sensor had a tiny air bubble in it I submerged it under water and took off the top. It was full of air, not just a little air either.

I can assume then that this one dried out because I had set the valve to tight and it dried out because of this. I had flooded this pot three times in the process of resetting it. I guess the plant sucked all the water out of it. Hopefully this took care of it.

I have been setting up two more flower rooms this week to reduce the number of plants at different stages in one room. I currently have one flower room with 3 of these setups in it that I hand water. This week I found two spider mites in that room. I can treat 2 of the setups but not the third as I harvest that setup next week. So I need to get the other rooms done so I can treat for mites before it is to late.

So I will be getting off now and back to building the rooms.

Grizz

Veteran
mr. crane ummm those damn screens are going to be stuffed to the gills with buds, damn bro !!!

Those filled-in screen shots are inspirational.

Do you see any way to configure the PVC to give you a one piece 180 degree design?

I want to try to fill this seven feet high with maybe a 5 foot radius. Obviously the fill-in will need to start in veg. I plan on shooting for one plant per unit.I'll probably use a 600 on a vertical mover in veg and a 1000 on a vert mover in flower. Each bulb will have two units. Do you think I can fill that much screen if I start with foot-long rooted clones and an eight to ten week veg? Thank you sir.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Those filled-in screen shots are inspirational.

Do you see any way to configure the PVC to give you a one piece 180 degree design?

I want to try to fill this seven feet high with maybe a 5 foot radius. Obviously the fill-in will need to start in veg. I plan on shooting for one plant per unit.I'll probably use a 600 on a vertical mover in veg and a 1000 on a vert mover in flower. Each bulb will have two units. Do you think I can fill that much screen if I start with foot-long rooted clones and an eight to ten week veg? Thank you sir.

You could probably do it with a piece of bent steel conduit for the top and bottom screen pieces. I think that if you filled that you will have to much of one strain though. I can't say how long it would take to fill it either. These plants are in five gallon bags and I have no idea how big of a bag you would need to do that. It would also be hard to move a plant that big because of the size and weight. I frequently take my plants out one at a time to trim.

I guess the answer to your question is I don't know if it would be wise to do it, but hey try it and let us know how it works.

You could probably do it with a piece of bent steel conduit for the top and bottom screen pieces. I think that if you filled that you will have to much of one strain though. I can't say how long it would take to fill it either. These plants are in five gallon bags and I have no idea how big of a bag you would need to do that. It would also be hard to move a plant that big because of the size and weight. I frequently take my plants out one at a time to trim.

I guess the answer to your question is I don't know if it would be wise to do it, but hey try it and let us know how it works.

I would need to have the screen attached to a base which also holds the planting container. I'm looking at trying a PPK with a 10 gallon container which may even be overkill.

By too much of one strain are you referring to tolerance build up and the need for variety? Also, when you spoke of taking plants out to trim, do you mean the final trim?

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I would need to have the screen attached to a base which also holds the planting container. I'm looking at trying a PPK with a 10 gallon container which may even be overkill.

By too much of one strain are you referring to tolerance build up and the need for variety? Also, when you spoke of taking plants out to trim, do you mean the final trim?

The final trim as well as the fan leaf trim. When I trim the fan leaves I lift the reflectix off the back so I don't have to untie to trim the fan leaves in the back. The reflectix reflects light that gets past the buds back to the back side of the buds. I can not always get to the back of my plants with out moving the screens from their current location.

Moving the screens also allows me to clean my grow room. If some leaves have died and fallen off or any debris has collected I can move the screens and sweep the area up to prevent any future nasties.

When I say to much of one strain I mean to much of one strain. I have had plants that produced 11 ounce, that would be over two pounds from half of the circle. I find it difficult to move that much of one type quickly. I can do it but it would take over a week to get rid of. I have number restrictions to deal with.

I to am interested in doing a PPK type grow to see how it goes. I veg for a long time to get my plants large enough to flower and fill up the screens. PPK would cut down my veg time. I have people who will supply me with plants that I can put straight into flower, but the state is looking at limiting the size of plants that can be transported. That means I can not do this type set up with out vegging my plants for a long time. So I need to look at alternative grow styles to preempt this by the state.

My last harvest was gone in 5 days. I could have sold twice what I had before I even released that harvest. I need to look at ways to increase my yield while keeping my plant count legal. I can get clones that are very well rooted in rock wool and ten inches tall. I thought that after I have my new rooms done and the mites eradicated I would set up a room with the PPK's.

Question for you PPKers, If I use NAPA floor dry which is DE, how much coco are you adding? I asked Delta9 if I could go 3 DE to 1 Coco and he said it would work as their was still 32% air left over. I can get both of these but would have to ship rice hulls and turface if I went with that. Do you PPKers that use coco and DE prefer a different mix? I could also use perlite as that is available as well. I just don't like how it breaks down.

Thanks in advance IC.

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Don't mess with Josey and where are dah nekkid ladies man? I mean pictures???

Sorry I have not worked in 2 weeks and I am a little baked atm...............

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Dang it to heck fire. Went into one of my other flower rooms and the AC went out. I also had the exhaust fan off at the time. It was well over 100 degrees in there. To top that off when I turned the ac back on the exhaust hose kept coming off. Had to screw it on, but not before it fried the top of a Jedi Kush plant. Lost a couple ounces I am sure of a 40 day flowered plant. Also lost a little of a Blueberry X OG Kush plant. The best buds to, the ones on the top.

See for your self what I lost.

picture.php

picture.php

Good thing I have 26 other plants in flower.

Well on the good news side I have a new weapon in my arsenal to fight spider mites and fungus nats. I don't have a picture yet but I will describe it some. Can be use till harvest, has excellent canopy penetration, and comes with a scope to see the pest. I am so geked by this. Only down side is it is not safe for some reflective surfaces.

So Here are some day 16 bud shots

Deathstar day 16

picture.php

OG Kush day 16

picture.php

Chemdog day 16

picture.php

Will get a picture loaded on to IC of my mite killer later.

Arminius

"I'm not a pezzamist, I am an optometrist"
Veteran
Sorry about your loss bro, but super excited to see the "secret weapon"!

EvilCartman

Dang it to heck fire. Went into one of my other flower rooms and the AC went out. I also had the exhaust fan off at the time. It was well over 100 degrees in there.

Ouch! I feel your pain. That sucks.

I *used* to run a tower fan in one of my tents that had an electronic switch. I learned the hard way, that those don't come back on, after a power outage. Crispy critters! Wasn't good...
:tumbleweed:

Well on the good news side I have a new weapon in my arsenal to fight spider mites and fungus nats. I don't have a picture yet but I will describe it some. Can be use till harvest, has excellent canopy penetration, and comes with a scope to see the pest. I am so geked by this. Only down side is it is not safe for some reflective surfaces.

Yikes, sounds like a frickin' death-ray! lol :biggrin:

BTW where did Marlo go? Your vert scrogs and his are the two set ups I've enjoyed the most although I've seen some beautiful flat scrogs. Did you see the one Heath did a few years ago on Br$$dbay?

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Yeh it stinks to lose that much of a single plant. I blame Mega and Bobble for the loss though. Since they opened their big yaps about how well I have been doing I got mites and lost a couple ounces today.
Guess I will just have to clone some more.

Well here is my new mite eradicator.

picture.php

For flying pest or pin point accuracy. Well have to go see how well it works on some unwanted guest. Then maybe over to see Mega or Bobblehead. Just kidding.

Latest posts

Latest posts