What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dried buds in the freezer?

cogollo

Hello.

For how long can i store my dried buds in the freezer? And when i take them out will they be wet and need to dry again or will they remain dry?

salamandra

There is this guy on YouTube that claims storing bud in the freezer is not good because it makes the trichomes brake off the bud and fall in the bag.

Air is the big killer. Seal it up in a mason jar or a re purposed food jar with a sealed cap and you are good to go for months. Baby food jars don't reseal btw. If you want to save it for more than 6 months or so, then put the jar in the freezer or use a few layers of bags. Bags will not completely seal it from the outside air, but in a frozen environment the air movement is very slight and it will last a long time. Trichomes will break off if the buds are frozen and you handle them often, but they don't just magically jump off your buds because they are cold. You won't have to redry anything unless you get it wet, and DON'T get it wet. Do your best to get all air out of bags or fully fill jars to reduce air/moisture on the sealed buds and make sure the buds are properly dried before freezing and you will be good to go. A frost-free freezer works by occasionally thawing out the freezer and melting the frost build-up, so one that is NOT frost free is far better for long term storage of weed or anything for that matter.

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
Just don't move or shake em around, if they are in the freezer and get messed with while frozen then sure you will lose a ton of trichs. I do also think some COULD just fall off from being cold especially if they have already been touched, bent, moved, semi broke already etc which CAN happen from trimming etc.

If it is long term, store them where they won't have MOVEMENT and you should be good especially if you seal them correctly. What about tossing some rice or something in the jar when putting in the freezer? It will make sure and take the moisture etc.

JohnnyToke

why freeze them? vacuum seal them in jars and place them in a refrigerator set to about 50f. the bud will keep a long time this way. Just make sure the bud has been dried properly before vacuum sealing in the jars for storage. I pull jars out for use that have been stored for a year this way and never miss a beat.

Vacuum sealed in a ball jar and frozen, bud has a shelf life of years*. Wait for it to thaw before handling or you might lose some trichs.

* could be decades, but it doesn't last that long around here :)

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes I vac seal my harvest and freeze it no problem. Just make sure its dry enough brfore you freeze...

driska

Yes I vac seal my harvest and freeze it no problem. Just make sure its dry enough brfore you freeze...

Hamm..thanks
tell me some more...
I will buried, dont have other option...you know haw it is:) so if i buried somewhere no problem ass well? probably must put in hole first some box made from wood or somethink like....

and wander when vacuum the bags haw much smash the weed?
what you use for vacuuming, some strong machine?

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Most vac sealers will let you seal before the buds get smashed... If your puting buds in the ground thats a whole diferant ball game. Depends where you live. How good the soil drains water. The container needs to be water tight ....Burried wood does not last long and it will leak.

driska

ok thanks. i have one more option in some old house but the temperatures are not so optimal as in the ground.

I know people that have kept their harvests in the bottom of their freezers, vac packed and wrapped up like pre-made casseroles (sp?), covered in foil wrap and all. Take package out, it's already dried, so ready smoke in minutes, they said never a loss of potency ever.