What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Idea's for concealment on outside for intake and exhaust?

Merfolk

Hey guys, currently having issues trying to be stealth and bring in fresh air or exhaust it, i have a 6 inch vent that could pass as a dryer vent -

The windows are at ground level, (basement) and i would also like to make sure its sturdy enough no one can just "Kick" it in..

a L Shaped box? Insulation board type ?

Just looking for idea's

thanks
in advanced

dunkydunk

Plant a big thorny bush to camo whatever you do, and then no one wants to crawl through a thorn bush to kick your window in?

Merfolk

i thought of some sort of bush, which could be done, but was hoping somthing abit more casual, a bush i can do, next summer, not when im about to hit freezing tempature :D

sneakinman13

Veteran
picture.php

sounds like a box like this^ would work. thats mine.
very discreet. from the outside it just looks like a normal window. no light leaks what so ever.

hope this helps you some. if you have any questionss feel free! pce

Merfolk

picture.php

very discreet. from the outside it just looks like a normal window. no light leaks what so ever.

Thanks for the pic, is that an exhaust? What does it look like from the outside? Some blinds? open window with black behind it?

sneakinman13

Veteran
Thanks for the pic, is that an exhaust? What does it look like from the outside? Some blinds? open window with black behind it?

from the outside all you see is blinds. that is it. and yes window is open. not the slightest bit out of the normal looking. very stealth.

and that is my exaust for my lights. and my carbon.

aaxxeell

cool, cool, cool!
lets see more pics, thats awesome! (wheres the outside pic LOL)
how silent is it?

I'd laugh so hard if some crackhead meth zombie burglar tried to break in past flyscreen and blinds only to find himself boxed out! lol

i thought of some sort of bush, which could be done, but was hoping somthing abit more casual, a bush i can do, next summer, not when im about to hit freezing tempature :D

Actually, fall is a better time than spring to transplant bushes and shrubs. Prices are better now too.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Pyracantha grows fast and has 2" thorns. It's also easy to trim and train, just like a pot plant. It gets blossoms in the spring, then green berries. By late summer the berries turn burnt orange.

The only down side is the fast growth and 2" thorns. It won't be your favorite shrub to prune.

dunkydunk

Pyracantha grows fast and has 2" thorns. It's also easy to trim and train, just like a pot plant. It gets blossoms in the spring, then green berries. By late summer the berries turn burnt orange.

The only down side is the fast growth and 2" thorns. It won't be your favorite shrub to prune.

That's the perfect plant, the one I was thinking of when I first made the suggestion. I used to hate those things when I was a landscraper. But that's why you plant them under windows and birds like the berries.

the gnome

Veteran
picture.php

thats the same priciple as the way i did mine, but i just covered the window opening from the inside with a 4x4 pc of plywood.
I got a box 18x18x9 that covered the exaust hole in the plywood, the vent tube(black on the inside) that goes into the box is offset from the hole in the plywood to keep any lite getting out.
the window is open about 6" and there are slat type blinds that are shut in the window. the air passes through easily and like sneakinman all you see from the outside is a screened window with blinds inside :)
Its a great idea to also plant some yucca or other thorny plant in front of the window if you don't have a privacy fence and people have a chance to walk near

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
I built a box just like that for a friends room a few years ago sneak. Works great, almost zero maintenance (eventually had to clean the inside as dust built up, but that took like 2 years of constant use to build up at all with the filter being before it).

I would second the box. I do like the idea of a shrub in the area, but make sure it's something that'll take the additional airflow/heat/cool.