What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

RDWC buckets leaking no matter what I do.

njayjay

Hey all, i just connected all my buckets to my RDWC to give the system a test run however at least 6 of the 12 buckets showed leaks around where the tub outlets go. The gaps around the outlets were pre-sealed with hefty amounts of epoxy before coming into contact with any water, but water seeps through tiny cracks in the material and the stuff crumbles right off when wet. I tried applying silicone over the epoxy but it comes right off in one solid layer as soon as it touches water. Now I'm stuck with these 12 buckets which I'll have to redo from the start and a mini lagoon in my growroom. What are you guys using to seal around the tub outlets? Thanks in advance.

Hazy Lady

Prom Night Dumpster Baby
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Get yourself a roll of P.T.F.E, the white 'plastic' tape plumbers use to seal pipework, costs pennies a roll from your plumbing DIY store, wrap a couple of times round the threaded end and connect, sealed forever ( or until you disconnect it).
Edit, I beg your pardon, I realise you are not talking about threaded pipes here, excuse me njayjay, I'm afraid I smoke cannabis :)

njayjay

Yep the leaks are not around the threaded areas and I am actually using plumbing tape, forgot to mention. The leaks occur at the openings on the buckets around the tub outlets. Its driving me nuts!

I have had great success using teflon tape and grommets with 1/2 inch straight barbs. The only time ive ever had to use epoxy is for feed line issues. hope this helps and good luck.

Also they make a marine epoxy that can handle a good deal of water. You might want to try that if nothing else works.
-McChris-

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
If you are using the 1/2" lines make sure you use a 5/8" drill bit for inserting the grommet. If you used a 3/4" bit, there is your problem. It will feel like you are breaking your fingers and thumbs getting those grommets into the 5/8" whole, but I've run the same buckets for years and I've run three different sets of buckets no leaks! My only water issues are the farm kit spitting over the edge of my buckets!

Peace, :joint:

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
You have to take them down and clean all the crap that did not work off, clean surfaces are key. I use plumbers goop, let it set up for a day, check, touch up questionable areas, let that seal cure over night, then test the next day. Clean is green if ya know what I mean.
H

foaf

Veteran
all good advice, but I just got tired of leaking grommets and hard to deal with barbed fittings. If you buy these bulkhead fittings, you can reuse them forever, and they never wear out or leak. usplastics bulkhead fitting . I'm also super happy using polyethylene semi rigid tubing with the quick fittings, they last forever and can be reused, quick fittings. the 1/2 inch can be used for drain and the 3/8 for supply.

this is a 1" bulkhead fitting but they make them for 1/2 and they have threads inside or you can solvent weld to them

RipVanWeed

Be sure to use a step drill, be very careful not to over drill (maybe put a piece of tape on the drill bit so you can know where your target is). I could barely get the grommets in the hole, and the 1/2" barbed fittings were tight on installation as well. 2 months, not 1 drop of water has leaked!

The stepped drill bit and it's careful use is the key.

MMAJAY

When all else fails buy Marine Adhesive Sealant 5200 made by 3M corp. Google it if you need it. I buy it in 10 oz for caulking gun. It will seal the hell out of all leaks and lasts forever. Only bad thing is it takes 5-7 days to fully cure to be safe. I have also used a product bought at walmart called shoe goop which works very well too.

PuReKnOwLeDgE

Licensed Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just finished a 24 5 gallon bucket setup this week. Had a couple leak around outlet. I tightend up my metal clamps on the hose and bingo no leak. Make sure all your hoses are clamped, it gets expensive but worth it for the peace of mind. If its the outlet hole itself leaking make sure your gasket is on inside of bucket. Tighten the ebb and flo outlet down nice and tight. Patience with it you will get it.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
who wants a really cheap bulkhead fitting,

who wants a really cheap bulkhead fitting,

available at your local hardware store for under $2?

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
about the bulkhead fittings. if you take regular pvc plumbing male and female adapters you can thread them together but they won't go all the way down because they have tapered pipe threads. so you can't compress an "o" ring or gasket with them. they won't hold water through a bulkhead. if you go over to electrical you will see what looks at first to be the same thing, except gray pvc conduit fittings. male and female threaded adapters that will accept regular white pvc tubing. if you thread a pair of those together you will find they go all the way down because they use regular machine thread. you put your "o" ring or gasket on the male fitting and then just teflon tape the connection to the female. no leaks. i've been using these in fish holding systems for years. works great. if your application is horizontal you leave it like it is. if you want a vertically oriented nearly flush drain you saw off the part of the male fitting above the pipe stop. you will be able to drain down to approx. 5/64 th's in the case of 1 1/4" fittings. or drill it several times at that level. i'm looking at a pair of 1 1/4" ones right now and the lowes part number's are E942G and E943G. around a buck for the pair. Smaller “o” rings at lowes in plumbing, large ones at all auto parts stores. Use the male fitting with the “o” ring on the inside and be sure to give the threads a few wraps of teflon. Later, delta9nxs

O

ogatec

Step drill wrong tool.You need the proper hole saw.hole size important,clean edges .no goop of anykind needed.rubber gasket seals it when you tighten nut are you useing this kind.Couple months ago did a 24 bucket only had 2 leaks and just tightened nut to fix.

http://www.4hydroponics.com/grow_room/ebbFlowFittings.asp

actually stepped drill bits are made for plastic, hole saws are for sheetrock/metal and a borer/auger would be for wood..

i agree with others that say you need to clean ALL the epoxy off that didnt work 1st before trying something new.

boxman420

try cleaning the epoxy from around the holes the get some fine grit sandpaper, and sand around the inside and out of the holes to give the epoxy or silicone to stick to.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
btw,

btw,

epoxy won't bond to most plastics. use silicon, or even better, amazing goop, plumbers edition. with the fittings i described above you will not need any sealant.

epoxy won't bond to most plastics. use silicon, or even better, amazing goop, plumbers edition. with the fittings i described above you will not need any sealant.

Delta
It's really a pleasure to see an individual who is technically intelligent,,, that's such a rarity on these forums..
You are spot on,and yes people should try using their brains and get familiar with hardware stores and building supply stores,buy some damned tools,proper bits etc,,,and get busy building their own systems..

I can't tell you how many nights I lay in bed at night thinking about ways to
build a better system for hydro..
ozone generators, aerators etc... and have built so many prototypes it's boggling.

I even discovered the application of colloidal silver for asexual reversals after silver thiosulphate was deemed a risk to purchase.

Yes it's hard to believe that most here don't even know what a National pipe Thread is and it's limitations but that's the world we live in..

The link to the bulkhead fittings here is also what kills me,,although the poster did a great job at trying to help,,come on 15 bucks a fitting and up for 1/2" ?

You'd have to be insane to even consider that!

100% pure silicone is the best thing to keep on hand peeps...
rubber grommets and a properly sized hole are the next,,,these are crucial when trying to get a proper outlet on a radius surface like 5 gallon buckets.

keep on keeping on gents!

JohnnyToke

I have built, trashed and rebuilt my dwc's about 4 times. I too have had drips, leaks etc on my 5 gal dwc's I use in my dwc recirc system. It became a pain in the ass. last year, I finally scrapped the leaking buckets with O rings, grommets, bulkhead fittings etc and bought 1" uniseals, 1" pvc pipe and rebuilt new buckets using the uniseals. it has worked flawlessly for 4 full grows now. no drips or leaks of any kind. the 1" pvc also eliminated the roots clogging the return lines going from the dwc back to the rez. I had problems with roots late into the grow that slowed the return lines and caused buckets to fill to high when using the 1/2" & 3/4" return fittings. there is no need to silicone the uniseals. if you use the right size hole saw they tell you to use, the uniseals fit water tight. hope this helps someone.

JT

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
about the bulkhead fittings. if you take regular pvc plumbing male and female adapters you can thread them together but they won't go all the way down because they have tapered pipe threads. so you can't compress an "o" ring or gasket with them. they won't hold water through a bulkhead. if you go over to electrical you will see what looks at first to be the same thing, except gray pvc conduit fittings. male and female threaded adapters that will accept regular white pvc tubing. if you thread a pair of those together you will find they go all the way down because they use regular machine thread. you put your "o" ring or gasket on the male fitting and then just teflon tape the connection to the female. no leaks. i've been using these in fish holding systems for years. works great. if your application is horizontal you leave it like it is. if you want a vertically oriented nearly flush drain you saw off the part of the male fitting above the pipe stop. you will be able to drain down to approx. 5/64 th's in the case of 1 1/4" fittings. or drill it several times at that level. i'm looking at a pair of 1 1/4" ones right now and the lowes part number's are E942G and E943G. around a buck for the pair. Smaller “o” rings at lowes in plumbing, large ones at all auto parts stores. Use the male fitting with the “o” ring on the inside and be sure to give the threads a few wraps of teflon. Later, delta9nxs
:yeahthats

This really works!

Latest posts

Latest posts