What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I dont understand the scrog seems like a waste of time

needearly

Ya the scrog looks all neat when done right but 5 or 6 week veg fuck that I can almost bang out a whole go round in that much time and my numbers are probably better than a lot of scrogs. 4x8 aero 3 day veg 56 in bud 59 days in and out not trying to be a jerk I just dont understand why you would want to veg for 5 weeks. And it seems like a shit load of work spend more time on your knees than a tiajuana hooker. Please set me straight.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
A ScrOG plant will greatly out produce an untrained plant of the same age. With ScrOG 1 plant out produces my old 24 plant SOG and averages 2 plants to SOGs 75. With ScrOG, all buds are equidistant to the light, no buds get cheated. It allows me to grow a plant (7-8 feet in the wild) in less than 24 inches. My 20 inch colas are 6 inches high. Vertically, the lower third of the bud would have 1/4 the light the ScrOG gives it. I find bigger, better buds to be worth the time. With 14-20 weeks of 12/12, it gives me something to do.

needearly

Ya I can see how there wouldnt be any popcorn but you can lollipop a sog and not have much duff. For hobby growing it looks fun but I dont think thats the way to go if a guy was really trying to bang out some weed

CANNACO-OP

Farmassist
Veteran
What your your pulling off from what and show us some pics, usually it is a "mis" understanding somewhere,

S C R O G can be a useful tool in the mj trade.

peace. canna

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Scrog's also allow growers to produce a higher # of cola's without increasing the plant count.

needearly

Ya I understand the numbers thing but that doesnt mean you need to veg 3 plants for 2 months. I just pulled 4lbs of banged out kush using 2 kw in 59 days horrible shit you would hate it cause it gives you a wandering eye and makes you drool on your shirt.

FreezerBoy

Veteran
While lower numbers and less prison time is a concern, the point is bigger, better buds and more of them. If you prefer fewer, smaller, weaker buds, you're golden.

Wait...What?

Veteran
The reason most of us are here is to avoid banged out weed.

THIS THIS and more THIS. Huge amounts of THIS.

The lower plant count also helps on the penalties - as the old saying goes, if you can't do the time...

some grow trees, some sog, some scrog, some just let them do their own thing [me]

scrog is for efficiency - maximizing teh yield of one plant.

longer veg times also produce better end product.

I have a question for you Freezerboy, or anyone with the answer lol. Would ak47 from serious seeds scrog well? or would it just be better to train it other ways? hydro setup.

FreezerBoy

Veteran
I have a question for you Freezerboy, or anyone with the answer lol. Would ak47 from serious seeds scrog well? or would it just be better to train it other ways? hydro setup.

Never grown it.

Some form of Canopy Control benefits any strain. That's an objective statement. Which form of CC is best is subjective.

The top sends a message to the plant to stay down and surrender all the good stuff. Cut off it's head, the next two send the same message. BUT, bend the tip and the message becomes, "I've fallen and can't get up." Every stem will now insist on being the big bud as side growth explodes. Added bonus, no bud gets more light than any other bud as the "highest" and "lowest" buds are on an even canopy.

If your strain is fast flowering, low branching or you've no interest in veg periods, it may be LST or SuperCrop is the way to go. If there's not much tying to be done, who needs a screen?

With long flowering, high branching strains, ScrOG makes more sense. Can you imagine the string it would take to keep tying for 14-23 weeks? Can you imagine how hard it would be to get your hands into all that to work? With a ScrOG, you simply push the growth back under the screen until you're ready to let it up.

a very wise man once said "to each his own", and i guess that's pretty much what it comes down to. for some people, ScrOG is their preferred method for a variety of very valid reasons. the same can be said for any of the other methods. they've all got advantages, it just depends on which one suits you best

JohnnyToke

Ya I understand the numbers thing but that doesnt mean you need to veg 3 plants for 2 months. I just pulled 4lbs of banged out kush using 2 kw in 59 days horrible shit you would hate it cause it gives you a wandering eye and makes you drool on your shirt.

I scrog with 4" - 6" clones and my veg time falls between 15 - 20 days in my dwc setup. If I vegged for 2 - 3 months, there would be no containing my scrog. these plants become huge bushes in a short amount of time. especially after I flip to flower for the first 3 weeks.

JT

VagPuncher

Balls Deep!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
10 well trained scrog plants get yield 8 OZ each easy =80 oz.

Try telling a judge why you have 50 plants over 10. Turns from possession to trafficking.

B

Brazilianfire

I PREFER scrog, it maximizes yield and its a lot of fun to see those colas form on what looks like a sog table. And its a good thing to keep plant count low mates.

badmf

No one mentioned lower wattage lites, this would give better penetration as the uniformness would be closer to it. I don't scrog but understand its usefulness to many.

Jnugg

Veteran
(are we talking outside of California?)

About the plant count.. Don't the law weigh weed too? I mean, it seems that they will get you for a felony if the weight is high or plant count is high. Whatever is best for them to make a big deal out of their bust.

I'd rather take the felon charge of manufacturing/cultivation of an illegal drug rather then a felony trafficing,or intent to sell.

Some people I remember from back in high school and college just got busted with 39 plants and only got a felony charge of manufacturing (very lucky they didn't get trafficng or intent to sell)!

SCRoG is great for people with height issues/constraints and low wattage grows or high wattage grows as you can produce the amount of bud you would get from 2-6+ plants out of just one plant and all buds are generally the same size as the canopy is tied down to keep itself even in growth.