What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Have Fruits and Vegetables Become Less Nutritious?

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Have Fruits and Vegetables Become Less Nutritious? Yep, unless heirloom. Fuggedaboutit GMO style...

Seems like a multi faceted problem, I know people whose been growing tomatoes their wholes lives the same way rotating fields, they don't even want to eat what they grow anymore.

Commercial produce has the added benefit of cheap fertilizer sources. I dont tend rabbits and chickens because i like to. I just need to know the input of my fertilizer machines.

The guy who invented hydroponics (synthetic nutes skipping the plants digestive soil) regretted it in his lifetime. Yet everyone uses the crud. Thats a whole 'nother problem than cow manure from cows fed gummy worms and candy corn. I mean you can tell if your guano came from fruit bats or not. So when your nutes smell like somones smoking meth, were made in a test tube, you know youre not getting a natural product with natural properties. Hydroponic isn't low nutrition, its non nutrition and a mutated cellular structure opening the plant up to new infections.

We do grow terrific okra. We have our own strain apparently. Since the variety cannot be located in any catalogue. I suppose if we kept tomatoes seeds our tomatoes wouldn't suck.

Last edited:

Dog Star

Veteran
They moved cows from pasteries,farmers from cows... made intensive production
inside huge beton stables where cow doesnt go out,taking anti biotics hole life
to not get sick,feed them with animal proteins like they did in England so cows
gets prions,cows become mad.. millions of cows destroyed cause of bad praxis
and some human beliving in his own capabilities..

its all human error... from same this human that claim for self he is a consciouss
being.. while there is a case of selfish being that adore synthetics in everything,
people look for Satan around while same this Satan is inside them..

Thats a main reason why i dont belive humanity will suceed to become higher civilization..
we have some "deep bugs" inside self that dont aloud us to sees truth,to made sustainable life on Earth,we are actually doomed to destroy self..

modern science and scientist will just made things unveil much faster in direction
of our anihhilation... they work for secular goverments that also just belive in profit,
money,devil of our time.. so there is no chance to be better..

you can sees that by nuclear energy,fracking,oil Wars,SSRI meds and other synthetic
medication,NPK technique in agriculture,nuclear and other weapons of mass destruction,
Earth polution,too much technology and not enough real human interaction,etc...

a list of negativities are huge... and its all human error.

We will not survive cause of our own ego that looks only for profit... and no matter
that most of people live bad,non-quality lifes and majority suffers cause of this
same politics people still didnt start to change things... its like this is not their
problem...

thats why i dont have faith it will be better... only worst as man will create hell
on Earth,and a main cause of hell is him personaly.. doomed to a bone..

Green Squall

Today I planted heirloom swiss chard, spinach and kale from Victory Seeds. I'm sticking to container gardening this year, except for root vegetables, because the garden fence is in shambles. Honestly, it needs to be taken down and rebuilt at this point.

chris_martinx

If you breed fruit and vegetables to look pretty and yield well for enough generations I am sure the nutritional value goes down. Look what happens when a crappy breeder gets ahold of a great strain.

+1

but aren't the fresh nutritious ones supposed to look pretty? I'd prefer good-looking fruits over bland ones any day.

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Its 100% true.. Especially magnesium is horribly deficient in soils and in humans.. 80+% of westeners are Mg deficient.

Monoculture is a blight.. It destroys soil dynamics long term and the soil biome and quickly becomes an artificial clinicised wasteland as petrochemical byproducts are sprayed on the ground to maintain it.

Its a bit like humans, you only eat one thing (say carbs) so you get an overgrowth of candida or staphylococcus lets say and then you're taking antibiotics and harsh antifungals which kill everything off in your microbiome, it can take someone several years to repair their gut biome in response to this ignorant short sighted approach to good diet.. Soils' the same.. Diversity is strength.

If you grow it yourself in real soil and its an heirloom it will be fine but the varieties the agricorps have been breeding for years just puts on water and sugar weight to produce big heavy fruits/leaves..

Nutrition and a long healthy life for consumers is not the priority for corporations, guess what it never was either.. Filling bellies for the highest profit is.

Also people have been conditioned into being taste pussies, everything is so bland and the phytochemistry we once ate these foods for has consitantly gone down..

Last edited:

BubbaBear

The soils are definitely depleted and saturated with chems like glyphosate. But a lot of the reason many fruits and vegetables taste like bland crap is because of the growth hormones and PGRs they use, just like PGRs commercial weed growers use that grow fat dark green nugs that lack essential oils, it's the same deal with fruits and veggies.

Like if you see a bunch of plump really colorful apples and they all look perfect and identical its cause sketchy chems were used to make it explode in growth but it's going to taste like styrofoam and have the nutritional value of a potato.

A while back I remember reading about watermelons growers in China that were using a PGR so powerful it was causing the watermelons to literally explode.

Theres a lot of crazy shit in the stuff we eat these days but I'm I think I'm more concerned about the chemicals and hormones lurking in our food than the vitamins its lacking.