What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Smokers want mellower weed- great article

Nunsacred

I found it very easy to obtain sociable weed from my own grows.
About half of my phenotypes are about right.
About half are too strong IMO, but that's fine, I leave them alone most of the time.

I don't have any strains with silly names based on weaponry. I think that's an obvious first step towards enlightened breeding stock.

What we need is for intelligent, successful people who enjoy a bit to speak up
and name their gear.
So perhaps
"Dawkins Theological"
instead of
"Pimp Dawg by illiterate-wannabe-gangster"

Doesn't matter anyway
it's only the commercial side which is riddled with silly breeders

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
well, third eye activity is a very special trait to look for in the effects... with this specific trait i competely agree that sativas are the best starting point (pure sativas more so than ind./sat. hybrids) ;)

but this thread was about mellow effects :) and a lot of sativas are too racy to be considered mellow... but i completely get what you're saying... the plants i value the most are the ones that gently uplift me while also carrying these psychedelic properties - that's what i select for mostly (and what i find mostly with pure sativas)

but this type of effect depends more on set/setting, road of administration and tolerance than anything else: somebody with low tolerance will get really strong psychedelic effects when consuming orally no matter if it's an indica or a sativa ;) (except maybe indicas so strong that they put them to sleep, but this also depends a lot on the dose)

also it's not the herb that opens the third eye - it is your mind, herb may facilitate the flow of energy in this point for a short period of time - but this is what most spiritualists consider a "false experience", "true experiences" for them are reached through concentration and meditation - and they say it lasts a lot longer and that those "false experiences" in the long term just lead to more confusion than benefit (that's not my opinion! just what the yogis tell me ;) )

good vibes

I have to agree with most everything you say however i find sativas calming and "mellow" (even though I have had a fair share of racy ones)

For me, and because I do posses a neurological disorder that biases how I feel and think at all times, a "vehicle" is necessary to eliminate its bias and let my mind focus with enough clarity to open it (let the eye flow)

So it may be part of my "wiring" to get more "relief" from a sat high without it "slowing me down" or diluting my clarity

the strains i smoke have replaced a cocktail of zypreka, depakote, xanax, effexor, escaklith and ambien and eliminated the effects of the disorder that ailed me which those drugs could not

I found these strains and grew them out of my desire to change and heal so I do not think the vehicle is the question as is the resulting cause and effect, i did not put any less effort into finding a way to calm my mind with herbs as other people put into other vehicles of enlightenment

is a legless man not mobile when he uses a wheel chair?

should his mobility be deemed false because he uses one?

how about a legless man that makes his own wheelchair?

the conscious will and decision to open the third eye is the same first step all the enlightened have taken regardless of the vehicle

as long as people are ego centric enough to believe that THEIR use of a particular vehicle is the only right vehicle the acceleration of enlightenment throughout all of mankind will be delayed

the ability to be enlightened is universal, the vehicles (methods) are not, they are relative to the totality of our being past and present and the influence of the world they experienced which is unique to some extent in all of us

it its mankind's latent capacity to be enlightened that should be celebrated and encouraged not necessarily any one particular vehicle

my simple interpretation from the feedback I get is people want to be high (euphoric) but they want mental clarity not abusively stoned

most people find my heavy weeds too heavy unless they are trying to kick dope or have serious pain problems or are fellow long time grower/smokers like myself it has less to do with potency that with the nature of the buzz itself

Last edited:

Tokin

Ive lived in NE Wa for 7 years now and what ive learned is there is a large segment of rec smokers that want less potent pot and there are patients that need a higher cbd to thc ratio. Then theres the medical patients that need that high thc meds.
I see major issues with this I 502 junk for patients if lawmakers get their way and merge medical patients and dispensarys and recreational users and state run outlets.
Mark my words, there will be a major revolt if lawmakers screw with 69.51a and the patients right to grow our own medicine.

Nunsacred

Just occurred to me:

it's been an illegal trade so its dominated by kids
and small players because anyone getting proper about it gets stopped

once the industry grows up a bit, the sensible strains and marketing will come.

edit: I really want a strain whose flavour chimes well with coriander in Indian cooking.
This would need to be very tasty but very mellow in strength.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
one of the easiest ways to see the real spectrum of difference in sativa and indicas is to smoke them under the influence of other specific psychedelics

sativas posses another dimensions in this world many other dimensions

this one I have experienced first hand with others on many occasions

T

trichster

Ive been on a similar path recently. Ive come to not like the Chem zombie buzz or anything similar. Im not into "mellow", i would say im into "enjoyable" highs.I like to smoke all day and cant stand feeling like falling asleep or being zombiefied. It doesnt matter Sativa or Indica as long as it gets me High and not stoned right away and has a happy enjoyable high. Almost like taking a "happy" pill. So far only some SSH crosses and and surprisingly a RKS from DNA have had this recently.

Tokin

With that said i think that people that have issues with smoking should switch to ingesting. Ive found folks that dont like the instant effect of smoking like the glyceryn extraction and truely cant smoke anything but leaf or trim.
Smoking hash helps none since hash is almost all thc and bho, even if its made from a low thc, high cbd strain causes anxiety issues. In the last 5 years ive seen many more high cbd strains locally.
Is there a way medical growers can send samples for testing?

Easy7

Veteran
Maybe THCv indica's from Pakistan will become more popular. THCv blocks some effects of THC. Best herb I ever smoked was not that potent, just highly meditative. Every time I smoked it I was just so happy with the effects. The Pennsylvania Dutch grow some dank, I can see the advertisements already.

Sideshow-Bob

Veteran
I have to agree with most everything you say however i find sativas calming and "mellow" (even though I have had a fair share of racy ones)

For me, and because I do posses a neurological disorder that biases how I feel and think at all times, a "vehicle" is necessary to eliminate its bias and let my mind focus with enough clarity to open it (let the eye flow)

So it may be part of my "wiring" to get more "relief" from a sat high without it "slowing me down" or diluting my clarity

the strains i smoke have replaced a cocktail of zypreka, depakote, xanax, effexor, escaklith and ambien and eliminated the effects of the disorder that ailed me which those drugs could not

I found these strains and grew them out of my desire to change and heal so I do not think the vehicle is the question as is the resulting cause and effect, i did not put any less effort into finding a way to calm my mind with herbs as other people put into other vehicles of enlightenment

is a legless man not mobile when he uses a wheel chair?

should his mobility be deemed false because he uses one?

how about a legless man that makes his own wheelchair?

the conscious will and decision to open the third eye is the same first step all the enlightened have taken regardless of the vehicle

as long as people are ego centric enough to believe that THEIR use of a particular vehicle is the only right vehicle the acceleration of enlightenment throughout all of mankind will be delayed

the ability to be enlightened is universal, the vehicles (methods) are not, they are relative to the totality of our being past and present and the influence of the world they experienced which is unique to some extent in all of us

it its mankind's latent capacity to be enlightened that should be celebrated and encouraged not necessarily any one particular vehicle

my simple interpretation from the feedbag I get is people want to be high (euphoric) but they want mental clarity not abusively stoned

most people find my heavy weeds too heavy unless they are trying to kick dope or have serious pain problems or are fellow long time grower/smokers like myself it has less to do with potency that with the nature of the buzz itself

Sorry to hear about your condition Weird!

and really great to hear that you could substitute the heavy pharma-cocktail by a "simple" herb! so you're a prime example of why the pharma lobbyists do everything in their power to keep cannabis illegal - nobody would buy their shitty drugs (much less repeatedly) anymore if they had access to the right herbal medicine (of course there are exceptions, they do have real medicine too - but less so than poison imho)

i agree that there is no single way that works for everyone - every individual has to go their own way, make their own mistakes and learn their own lessons... also i don't believe in enlightenment as something absolute, for me it's more of a spectrum in which we climb up and down within the course of our lifes...

one of the easiest ways to see the real spectrum of difference in sativa and indicas is to smoke them under the influence of other specific psychedelics

sativas posses another dimensions in this world many other dimensions

this one I have experienced first hand with others on many occasions

just the other day i was reading that djshort used this as a method in his breeding... plants would have to pass the acid-test to be used for further breeding :D

seems that it works pretty well, considering that his strains are famous for their quality of effect...

sending you positive vibrations for your journey(s) :)

festivus

STAY TOASTY MY FRIENDS!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This looks like the way the pot world is trending. I've been into growing the most potent strains I can find for a while now. But when my g/f and I smoke, the first thing she asks is "Is this day-ender?" Just about everything I have is day ender for her.

So I've been collecting skunk genetics for my next round. Skunk Special, Lemon Skunk, Super Skunk, ect. Looking for that well balanced, happy, up high without the knockdown.

chefboy6969

OverGrow Refugee
Veteran
i am so happy to hear people are getting sick of the KUSH craze it's all young people know now...and it's sad....Most smokers I find don't really care about the type of "high" or stone they get from their smoke...all they care about is getting wasted or zombiefied...and that's what the strains of today are doing...get people ripped...

NOT high, I really appreciate and look for different types of highs. and I agree like most in this thread SATIVA"S are the most enjoyable...but due to the longer flowering and less yield...therefore less money in the pockets of the people growing it...we get Kush and it's brothers and sisters( Chem, GS cookies and on and on)

There are a handful of breeders out there today working with some landrace and pure strains...and I would suggest you stick with them...ACE, Cannabiogen, and a few others

But most if you look around are using the mind numbing Kush;s to breed with...

SO it made me very happy too see that the KUSH CRAZE has started it's decline

peace
Chefboy

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
seems like a simple idea but no mention. Sell them fools kief sieved weed. Its a fraction as potent and grown properly. Then sell the hash elsewhere.

B

BasementGrower

sorry there is a tonne of light weights, but there has always been great weed and not so good weed. Weed is no stronger today, some of my favs, are from oldies, and they are strong.It takes much much longer to crate a strain of cannabis, To throw strains together, yea no time a year or so, to breed and test and grow well that takes time.To do it well takes time and patients.years and years not a year......

id like to see some labs that will test any weed with or withouot a medical card.. i want to see how much crap is on this commercial shit going around.

purple_man

Veteran
lol@motaco k+ mang...

but if i remember right, that's what some coffeeshops did in amsterdam... cause they had to many tourist white out after a puff puff ... sadly once the idea got hold in the game, some wiseguys started kiefing huge ammounts and sprayed them with rox and other strange stuff to make it look resinous again -> i wouldn't advocate that route :)

blessss

sorry there is a tonne of light weights, but there has always been great weed and not so good weed. Weed is no stronger today, some of my favs, are from oldies, and they are strong.It takes much much longer to crate a strain of cannabis, To throw strains together, yea no time a year or so, to breed and test and grow well that takes time.To do it well takes time and patients.years and years not a year......

Spot on. I gave my godmother some of the g13 I grew and she tried to give it back. Her husband liked it, but she was like "I cant enjoy smoking it, I'm so high by the time I start enjoying the taste, I don't want anymore." She literally asked me if I knew where some weaker tree was, that tasted as good. I gave her some of the Chronic and she said it was better but still strong. My godmother has been smoking for probably 40+ years, and if she says the newer weed is too strong, I tend to believe her. This is the woman who used to give me large double handfuls of ganja out of the half p's and qps she buys. Besides, isnt it common knowledge that potency increased when farmers were forced indoors into more controlled conditions?

chefboy6969

OverGrow Refugee
Veteran
purple_man..lol that's why there was always(not sure if you remember) FRESHLY SQUEEZED JUICES, mainly orange served right beside where you got your smoke...for people that passed out..good ole. Vitamin C brings you back to earth LOL

peace
Chefboy

Scottish Research

ICMag Donor
Veteran
This looks like the way the pot world is trending. I've been into growing the most potent strains I can find for a while now. But when my g/f and I smoke, the first thing she asks is "Is this day-ender?" Just about everything I have is day ender for her.

So I've been collecting skunk genetics for my next round. Skunk Special, Lemon Skunk, Super Skunk, ect. Looking for that well balanced, happy, up high without the knockdown.

I always wanted to try Citral. If you find her, grab her.

Thanks!

Dutch Passion has some pretty good Skunk strains that might work well.

R.Fortune

T

trem0lo

Even weak(er) cannabis gets people with no tolerance pretty baked. Someone who hasn't smoked in years would probably get wasted off just about anything.

In my opinion you can't really say, "Oh I want weak weed, just a little buzz so I can go about my day," especially if you have no tolerance and are smoking a joint, it's just not that feasible to control intake. You're gonna get hiiigh, and maybe ask some questions about your life. Deal with it. That mindset also disregards some of the finer aspects of the experience that occurs with higher dosages, like introspection.

I feel like cannabis is something you commit to more, not treated as lightly as having a beer with lunch, which you can easily shrug off.

Quasimodo

I feel theres plenty of mid potency meds on the market. Whenever you read a smoke report.... "Good daytime high"... that's what they mean.

vapor

Veteran
Spot on. I gave my godmother some of the g13 I grew and she tried to give it back. Her husband liked it, but she was like "I cant enjoy smoking it, I'm so high by the time I start enjoying the taste, I don't want anymore." She literally asked me if I knew where some weaker tree was, that tasted as good. I gave her some of the Chronic and she said it was better but still strong. My godmother has been smoking for probably 40+ years, and if she says the newer weed is too strong, I tend to believe her. This is the woman who used to give me large double handfuls of ganja out of the half p's and qps she buys. Besides, isnt it common knowledge that potency increased when farmers were forced indoors into more controlled conditions?

genetics is genetics, what it comes down to is the growers green thumb the same strain can be good or it can be great.So it boils down to if you can read the plant and find her potential. The industry is focused on yield. medical folks should be focused on quality. As it would increase quality of life. It is like booze.You have all the moonshiners around here that do a single pass in the still and it is just gutt rott city.Or you can rerun through a reflux column and have something better then you can get in any store. Find the truth it is out there and it cant be bought only realized.....