What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Maple Leaf Indica ?

southpaw

Grew out some F2s recently. Maybe a tiny dropoff in potency, but the citrus syrup whiff is unchanged, and half a J of bud chopped at day 55 smoked at noon led to an unplanned siesta. Highly enjoyable stuff for an indica lover.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
I just harvested mine at 60 days under a 430 HPS. There is no downside to this purchase. These plants have pretty good potency and decent yield of very tight buds, in my hands. Like all 4 Sensi breeds that I've tried, there was 100% germination and something interesting for breeding. Like Shiva Skunk, these are solid plants at a good price point, though it looks like prices for both have almost doubled in the past couple years.

I did not have stretching at all while flowering, past the first week. This was a seed grow with a short veg, a couple were a little stretchy in veg but I had some unrelated problems with the location...they still came out pretty short. And heavy, for their size. They are quick to flower and just keep packing them on.

Very salt tolerant and healthy plants, even more so than the Shiva, you'd have to really fuck up to make these leaves turn any color but green. Looks like Sensi's picture. One that was not seeded because it looked so good that I'll try a reveg has a great bud structure, a thick rounded cigar of pistils almost completely free of leaf, worth cloning. These are not that frosty/sticky to the eye, but the trichs are there with magnification. Just don't expect crystalline leaves.

I bred the males with NL5xHaze and will see how that goes.

The smell is almost identical to, but a little better than, much of the local (currently snow-covered) ditchweed, a smell that can only be described as sweet. Like a sweet pine smell that isn't actually pine, it's close to pine yet not pine at all. Weak odor unless handled.

southpaw

Glad to hear the seed stock is still strong. Silverback (R.I.P) was almost the official Sensi spokesman for the continued integrity of the strain.

I screwed up with my pack and only ended up with the one female that I seeded to make F2s, but she had something like that sweet smell you described. It actually reminded me a little of that old book smell you get in libraries, with a touch of something like cinnamon.

You know how this works... I was in love with the plant on the left and of course, it turned out male. Single cola female still kicked out a solid oz.

picture.php

dan_kass

I grew it in '97/'98 along with Cal Indica and out of a 10 pack of Maple I found one really nice pheno...it had very little stretch, amazing resin production, that syrupie smell and a seriously racey high for the 1st half hour or so that eventually mellowed out. It threw some nanners due to heat stress but I don't think the pollen was viable because I don't remember finding seeds. I also made F2's as well as Cal Indica X MLI and MLI X Cal Indica. The Cal Indica pheno I grew was a lil stretchy and low yielding but hands down had the best taste of any bud I ever smoked...it was a mix of bananas and strawberries, definitely more banana though. I was trading Dead and Phish tapes at the time and I sent a few samples (along with some seeds) out to some unsuspecting victims ;) I still want to try Cal Indica again but I'm worried I'd get something completely different.

Take Care,
~DK

madalasatori

Veteran
Hi can someone please advise me what phenotypes to expect? I am after the one with the best high, from what I can establish most phenos offer a similar high is this correct?

Thanks

moondawg

Silverback gave me 5 seeds of MLI in 2000. I got 3 females and 2 pheno's. One pheno tended to be headbud dominant and the other a bit more brancy and yeilded a little more. He gave me cut in 2008 that i still have access to. He had picked it purely because of taste. Its very sweet and....pinapply/citrus... hard to nail but it lingers in your pallet after the exhale.

Its one of the toughest plants ive every grown outdoors. Its truly bug proof, mold proof, deer proof and highly drought resistant. The most ive eve gotten a plant to yeild was 9 ozs and that was indoors with a 60 day veg and flowered 55 days under 1600 watts hps.

I love the happy grin and giggles that it delivers. Dont smoke it and go to church or to meet the in laws. Its pure afghan red eye. Smoked througout the day leaves one with a drunken body stone and a blank inellect.

The first afghan i smoked was in the late 1960's. It was the black afghan hashish and kilo's came wrapped in sackclothe. It made nice memmories for me and MLI is as close as ive been able to get to it. in Ive probably grown 40 afgans and affie crosses. MLI is in a different orbit than the others. If youre looking for the finest afghanistan has to offer, MLI is it.

Sensi seeds seems to have some real problems these days, but i have regular interaction with the sensi grower responsible for producing the MLI seeds. She is his holy grail and he considers his work with her to be religous and directed by higher beings. MLI seeds 2nd rate? The suggestion sends him into a morality rant. He wont put out bad mLI seeds.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lol ive got a pic of that screen at about 8 weeks and some nugshots. that was the last time i put 2 different plants on the same screen but it turned out ok.
the MLI is nice old-school afghani. decent potency but not the strongest,the smoke is very satisfying, nice spicy citrusy buds. pretty tough too.
picture.php

picture.php

VG

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have grown several MLI now and the phenos I got were all very similar. The f2's I made are no different.

Quality stone, not overpowering or super stony. Kind of balanced and overall very nice high. Plants yield well.

mazar_man

Hi can someone please advise me what phenotypes to expect? I am after the one with the best high, from what I can establish most phenos offer a similar high is this correct?

Thanks

Here are the phenotypes I have observed over multiple years of sensi MLI:

"syrup pheno" - dark very dense nugs, heavy narcotic stone, pure hash taste.. no fruit or incensy tones. pole type branching structure easisy recognized by brittle rigid indica branching. This is the best pheno imoand looks exactly like the clone sensi showed at cannabis cup when they launched mli. very mold resistant

"cat piss pheno" - taller huge yielding plant, valium like stone tastes like rubber in a good way but curesafter few months to gross cat piss smell - pretty mold resistant

"fruit pheno" hashy fruit smell very indica growth habit but totall mold prone and rough taste. prob nicest bag appeal of all phenos

"apple pheno" wierd fruit apple smell and taste, knock down put you to bed stone, huge yield lighter coloured buds with good mold resistance specially considering huge colas it packs on

"skunk1 pheno" structure dead on for skunk 1 except indica type buds skunky incensy sometimes turpentiny flavour, very strong buzz with heavy couchlock combined with racy head high. mold proof but very late outside nov

Rinse

Veteran
That syrup pheno sounds perfect mazar man, did you grow them outside and when did this pheno finish?

sutra1

I have the "apple pheno" going now outside. To my nose it smells more like overripe melon. I've grown MLI outside at 40n in The N.E. for four non-consecutive years. In my opinion the stuff is damn near bullit proof. This year which is admittedly a good growing year (knock wood) and she has maybe a week or two to go. The scent is so intoxicating, I will for no reason other than to get a whiff head out to smell her. MLI has a great high that many here (Dr.D.S.toker & the late Silverback)have spoken very highly of.

Last edited:

mazar_man

That syrup pheno sounds perfect mazar man, did you grow them outside and when did this pheno finish?

--it is my grail Rinse! pretty much all I have smoked since I discovered her 8 years ago. Outside this pheno is a bit all over the place anywhere from first wk oct to first week nov but most fell in the oct 7-21 range.

przcvctm

I have the "apple pheno" going now outside. To my nose it smells more like overripe melon. I've grown MLI outside at 40n in NJ for four non-consecutive years. In my opinion the stuff is damn near bullit proof. This year which is admittedly a good growing year (knock wood) and she has maybe a week or two to go. The scent is so intoxicating, I will for no reason other than to get a whiff head out to smell her. MLI has a great high that many here (Dr.D.S.toker & the late Silverback)have spoken very highly of.
I think I've mentioned in the past that one of the last PMs I received from silverback after my MLI seeds had landed was, "We'll find you that sour apple pheno."

Congrats to you for finding it.

Last edited:
I have two MLIs growing on my balcony right now. I'm at 47° N so I'm not sure if they will finish in time but I certainly hope so.

There's two distinct phenos:
White haired: earlier flowering, looks like a good yielder

Red haired: not yet really in bloom, has the prettiest red pistils I've ever seen

They both smell like really good hashish, maybe a bit sour/citrusy.

fatburt

hot pink hairs like this?
this is mli as well,should be done by october 10tyh to 15th,i pollinated her with c99 x auto amnesia pollen on a few branches so next year she will finish late september,fem seeds too!

Attachments

• WP_20130918_002[1].jpg
    WP_20130918_002[1].jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 19