What's new

What DIY Led would you build around a MEAN WELL CLG-150-48A

Safe Gardener

Hey guys/gals,

I have this MEAN WELL CLG-150-48A LED driver I bought a while back and am trying to figure out what chips or strips or boards would b at match it for a DIY LED.

I'm open to any and all suggestions. I just figured since I already have the driver I'd try and build a light around it. Thanks.

SG

Attachments

• IMG_20170105_232344.jpg
    IMG_20170105_232344.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 27

brickweeder

couple of growmaus logic pucks hooked up in parallel will work with that driver. A couple of QB288v2 in parallel (to keep the current low enough so the voltage does not exceed 48v) will also work.

You can also use some samsung F3 strips in a combo series and parallel circuit to get the voltage in the 46-47v range (series), and the current below the max range (parallel), but you'll have to sketch it out first.

You have lots of options, just match the LED voltage (slightly below at at the driver max) and the current, and if the driver current exceeds the LED current max rating, simply arrange them in parallel to split the current so it falls below max.

Safe Gardener

Thank you for the reply Mars Hydro Led! My first light is a Mars Hydro 96 Reflector with the 3 watt leds. I have had great luck with that light in a small 3sq/ft (18"x24") space.

This driver will only go upto 48 volts and I'm pretty sure the quantum boards want to be closer to 54 volts. Will two of the quantum boards do well @48 volts?

That was my reasoning thinking the strips would be better because they are happy at 24 volts and with 4 of the strips I can get both the voltage and current that the driver can deliver into it's most efficient range.

Thanks again for any input!

SG

indagroove

Veteran
Thank you for the reply Mars Hydro Led! My first light is a Mars Hydro 96 Reflector with the 3 watt leds. I have had great luck with that light in a small 3sq/ft (18"x24") space.

This driver will only go upto 48 volts and I'm pretty sure the quantum boards want to be closer to 54 volts. Will two of the quantum boards do well @48 volts?

That was my reasoning thinking the strips would be better because they are happy at 24 volts and with 4 of the strips I can get both the voltage and current that the driver can deliver into it's most efficient range.

Thanks again for any input!

SG

Two of these in series hits 48v. They come in a 4-pack:

https://horticulturelightinggroup.com/collections/quantum-boards/products/qb120-quantum-board

Phagoos

For $23.20 you can buy 20 120x36mm COBs at aliexpress (Jan 31) and under-drive them at 640mA each (5 parallel and 4 series).

Safe Gardener

@phagoos I've never ordered from AliExpress, but found a similar chip on eBay. What do you think would be a good heatsink for these?

Phagoos

I've tested it with a piece of U-channel aluminum without active cooling. The maximum temperature I measured was around 38 C (16 C above ambient) when driving the COB with 700mA.
The video shown in item/32724443904.html shows 1.3A @12V. At 640mA they don't really heat up that much. I think just some piece of aluminum plate or L-profile should work too.

Latest posts

Latest posts