What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vero 29 Gen 7 Build/Grow/Comparison

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
I got the kits this last week, and have been collecting all the needed parts, and planning it out.

Probably build them Saturday. Current thought for 4 X 8 tent is ten of them running 100 watts each, in 2 parallel lines, 16" apart, 16" from ends and sides, and sixteen inches on centers of each row. Will mount the Meanwell drivers outside of tent, to see how little heat can be produced, since many pay almost as much to run A/C for HID lights.

Might mount the two rows independent to start, and play with spacing, using Lumen meter.

I have 12 COB's, so if anyone has suggestions on spacing and patterns for 10 or 12 COB's, I would appreciate it.

I have various plants from seed, ready to go into 2 tents. Will run the other with 1200 watt HPS. Can do an all GG4 run in both next run, for a much better side by side test. This run will be coco, next run of GG4 RDWC.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

:tiphat:

gbauto

Sounds like a plan!
Only suggestion I could make when designing a layout for the array would be to design to the plant location. My grow space is 5x6 but I have to keep an aisle to give me access because of my leg. I run 8 buckets split into 2 rows along each wall and the rez at the back wall. 2-300 watt arrays work best for me-either build the light to cover the plants or place the plants to work with the light.

Loc Dog

Veteran
Sounds like a plan!
Only suggestion I could make when designing a layout for the array would be to design to the plant location. My grow space is 5x6 but I have to keep an aisle to give me access because of my leg. I run 8 buckets split into 2 rows along each wall and the rez at the back wall. 2-300 watt arrays work best for me-either build the light to cover the plants or place the plants to work with the light.

I have 2 4 X 8 tents. The better one opens on both sides, and will mount the LED's there. Tents are setup for RDWC, but have a number of plants in coco air-pots, which I will put in RDWC buckets for this run. Had problems with RDWC leaking, so do not want to disassemble system for this one run.

Loc Dog

Veteran
Here are first pics of what I have built. Will mount the power supplies outside of tent to keep heat down, and keep lights as close as possible. There are 5 X 200 watt power supplies for 10 X 100 watt COB's. I just need to hang the power supplies and lights, after moving out the HID lights currently in there, and run wires. Hopefully will get to it in next few days.

Loc Dog

Veteran
Has anyone else run Vero 29 Gen 7's, and what were your thought vs. HID per watt.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Those are looking real good, I'm thinking about doing some COBs to replace my purple LEDs. :lurk:

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Has anyone else run Vero 29 Gen 7's, and what were your thought vs. HID per watt.

Run? Not yet. But I do have 2 900 watt Timber Light arrays with them that I will be running later this year. After all the remodeling to the house is complete.

Loc Dog

Veteran
Run? Not yet. But I do have 2 900 watt Timber Light arrays with them that I will be running later this year. After all the remodeling to the house is complete.

That is where I got the kits. I wanted flexibility on positioning the COB's, to work best in a tent. Also wanted to mount the drivers/ballasts outside the tent to keep heat down. For the amount of time and effort I put in on the kits, the arrays are worth it, if they work for your space. Would be nice if they had adjustable arrays.

Loc Dog

Veteran
we are anxiously waiting on our timber 900 watt vero's to arrive next week.

I just got them together, and flushed the coco airpots to get reasonable PH, since they were neglected, for personal reasons. Will grow Headband, Truthband, GG4XLBL, and Kosher Kush.

Sorry, late drunk, stoned, going to bed!!

Loc Dog

Veteran
Any suggestions on distance from Vero 29 Gen 7's running at 100 watts each, to tops of plants?

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
I've got a 400w Timber light with 4x 3000k Vero 29 Gen 7 cobs. Amazing light and the plants love it. I usually keep it about 18-22 inches from the top of the canopy.

-Funk

Loc Dog

Veteran
I've got a 400w Timber light with 4x 3000k Vero 29 Gen 7 cobs. Amazing light and the plants love it. I usually keep it about 18-22 inches from the top of the canopy.

-Funk

Yeah, I used 2.5 of those kits. Took some work to get mounted and spaced. The 3500K produce a lot more lumens per watt. I will take some pictures and post. They will be a month on 22nd.

I do use a 15W 730nm IR light, ten minutes before lights off, and ten minutes after lights off.

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
I've heard of using the far red light before and after lights go on/off. I saw one of Growmau5's videos on youtube about it. I didn't realize there was a large lumen difference between the 3000k vs 3500k cobs. I do like the spectrum from the 3000K cobs.

-Funk

saitama

This is very interesting to me since I want to b build a similar light soon. For flower, I would add another 2 cobs for a total of 6 for each 4x4. You would basically be running two plc6 from Pacific light concepts at that point. They are supposed to put out similar photons to a 1000w se. Looking forward to your results

Loc Dog

Veteran
Here are some pics about 20 days till harvest. Kosher Kush, 707 Headband, Purple Afghan Kush, Skywalker Kush, and GG4 X LBL.

Loc Dog

Veteran
Looking GOOD! Is it just the white balance or are the leaves a little bleached?

No, they are going yellow. Posted them because I want someone to look at them and advise on whether I should remove the upper leaves that are going yellow. Tired, will try to take better pictures tomorrow.

I am suprised how natural the light is compared to HPS or other LED's which look purple.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
I'm having the same issue with my new Cree COBs. I think we need to feed more to keep up with the extra usable light. Some of it probably is due to the spectrum, mine look much greener during lights off.